Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Clever scam I fell for, but no harm done.

(33 Posts)
MaizieD Sun 14-Aug-22 11:15:17

Would it have been opening the email that would have been enough to infect your computer. Or the act of sending the info?

I don't think so. Either of those things would just tell the spammer'scammer that your email was live'.

I 'think' (though technology might have raced far ahead of my knowledge) that to down load a virus you would have to click on any link given in the email. It needs to insert itself by way of a little installation exe. programme which would need to be downloaded via the link.

Never click on links in emails you don't trust...

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 14-Aug-22 11:06:22

pollydolly not only rich, I also have many electric appliances and power tools just waiting for me in the States, all I have to do is give them my details ‘for security purposes’.

We could be Rich and ready to start up our own self employed Businesses using ‘free’ Power tools.

Why are we so very cynical?

Lathyrus Sun 14-Aug-22 10:59:11

Help me out here MOnica. Not tech savvy?

Would it have been opening the email that would have been enough to infect your computer. Or the act of sending the info?

Because I’m involved with a couple of projects I get emails from people I don’t really know but are on the contact list.

You’re story’s quite alarmed me.

henetha Sun 14-Aug-22 10:39:33

That's a helpful warning, MOnica. At the moment it's all about undelivered parcels etc. I'm being inundated by them.
Every day!

PollyDolly Sun 14-Aug-22 10:35:59

Oh, Oopsadaisy, you and I could be rich beyond our wildest dreams! lol

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 14-Aug-22 08:40:53

What worries me is that so many Spam/junk emails aren’t going into my Spam folder, they are coming through into my normal email.
I’ve tried blocking them but they just change their email address.
I have several packages awaiting collection, prizes that I’ve won and money waiting for me all in Dollars and in the USA.

PollyDolly Sun 14-Aug-22 08:19:11

Looks like the delay in you opening the original email was a 'happy accident' and I am pleased you didn't get scammed.

These people will stop at nothing will they? Everyday I get emails in my Junk Mail from all manner os fictitious enterprises, I have countless iPhones waiting delivery, several parcels waiting customs clearance, even an Argos consignment requiring a payment of $5, yes DOLLARS! Really?

Vigilance is key.

M0nica Sun 14-Aug-22 08:10:05

We are away on holiday with family at the moment and as a result, of them arriving chez UK, day travelling to France, arrival day shake down etc, I hadn't looked at my email for about three days.

When I downloaded my email, there were 40 or 50 so I was deleting/quick replying at speed.

There was an email from a colleague in an organisation I am involved with. The email content started 'M0nica' and ended 'Andrew'. So read as a personal email. The text was brief and not quite his style, about being in a meeting and needing some info, I just sent a quick reply saying 'Away until next Thursday' and thought no more of it.

A day later, when I checked my email again, there was a mail returned message saying that this email address could not be found. I then went back and looked at the email again and realised that the bracketed email address was not my friend's but some unknown address. but, thankfully, because of my gap in checking my emails, it was 2 days old when I replied. Whoever was doing the scam, kept each return email box active for only a short time to stop being traced and by the time I replied, it had been shut down. A very lucky escape. Presumably if I had checked earlier I would have ended importing a virus.

I would normally have looked at this email a bit more carefully because the content was a bit odd, but it had both mine and my friend's name in the text and I was in a rush and had lots of emails to deal with, including some which did need a thought through reply, and it just got a quick answer and a click on 'send'

So be careful if you get odd emails from friends and yours and their names are in the text. This is no guarantee that they are ganuine, so check.