Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Private limited company

(6 Posts)
Rubeee Mon 05-Sep-22 01:07:10

Would have put under financial heading but couldn’t see one there. I was married to a man for a few years who turned out to be many unpleasant things. He wanted us to marry in a hurry and I later found out this was because his visa was running out and he wanted a British passport. His behaviour turned very nasty as soon as we were married. As well as physical and sexual violence there was financial matters. He was a very clever, dishonest, crafty, slippery and dishonest man. I am out of it now and think myself lucky to have come out alive and well. I believe most of the cash he got from me was sent abroad. He had a lot of money off me but that was the least of my worries. I have recently found out that his new partner, a perfectly honest and decent recent widow who had her own small businesses has recently set up a new company and made him a director. It is a private limited company what ever that means. I’m hoping someone on here will be able to enlighten me. One thing I do know is he would never enter in to any agreement with a woman that was going to benefit her in any way shape or form. He is a conman and will be doing this for his own gain and to exploit her. I am not going to get involved in this, don’t worry. Not only am I scared of him still I doubt this woman would listen to me. He can be very charming and make you feel swept off your feet until it’s too late. He is a master persuader and unscrupulous. I am curious to know though how this arrangement is going to benefit him. It most certainly will as he wouldn’t have bothered otherwise. Does any one have any thoughts please?

welbeck Mon 05-Sep-22 01:38:21

are you not from the uk, yet you say your ex wanted to get british citizenship from marrying you.
i only ask because a private limited company is a concept familiar to most british people, i would have thought.
many small businesses have this type of ownership, along with sole traders and partnerships.
it is a non-natural person in legal terms, so that the ownership of a business is a separate entity to the individuals running that business.
although liability may be imputed to the commanding mind, according to legislation and the circumstances, usually in criminal matters.
i have not explained it well, sorry.
as to what advantage he hopes gain, who knows, could be lots of things, mostly financial.
but really i think it is not good for you to be investigating your ex's current life like this.
you still sound enmeshed, to be so interested.
it is not healthy. move on. ignore. live your own life.
all the best.

Rubeee Mon 05-Sep-22 01:45:52

Thanks. I am British. We have children who he does not see or support. His income doesn’t go through tax system (he evaded tax) which is very frustrating for me. I really have no knowledge of companies.

welbeck Mon 05-Sep-22 01:58:34

well i guess you know all about trying to pursue him via a solicitor/ through the courts for maintenance.
but in reality unfortunately it can be almost impossible to get money from a deadbeat dad.
so perhaps it's better to avoid all the angst.
have you tried MN for advice on this ?

Rubeee Mon 05-Sep-22 02:16:41

Thank you welbeck. I just cottoned on to what MN means! Mumsnet (I am not as dim as I am coming across here promise!

Rubeee Mon 05-Sep-22 02:31:03

Welbeck when I went through the maintenance/ solicitor route a few years ago they told me he was very evasive in deed sneaking around and dashing from his front door to his car with a hood up to evade a letter being served on him in person. He also rang up various agencies trying to camouflage his accent on the phone to them. You are correct it is a lot of angst. I am doing good most of the time but every now and then I have a blip, usually someone mentioning him to me and relaying some news about his latest antics. Close friends know not to do it but it is other people who aren’t close to me such as casual acquaintances and don’t know who do it unwittingly.