Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Fraudulent account opened on gambling site.

(9 Posts)
Granny14 Tue 09-May-23 11:56:29

Yesterday I received a welcome email from a gambling site. I have not opened an account with them so very worrying that someone was using my email address. The user name they gave was not one I would use. I went on to the site but impossible to find a phone number or email address the only way to contact was with chat. Eventually I got a response from a human (I think) as none of the options were relevant to my problem and the account was suspended. Then today I received an email from another gambling site concerning an account that has nothing to do with me. I am looking for advice as to why this has happened and what to do. I have changed the password for my email account but am still worried about what could happen.

biglouis Tue 09-May-23 12:01:38

Have you tried googling to see if there is a phone number?

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 09-May-23 12:06:36

Someone is using your email address. Our email addresses are known to many people. It happens in just the same way as people can fraudulently use your home address. Just contact the second lot in exactly the same way you did the first.

NorthFace Tue 09-May-23 12:15:20

Did you click on any links? Hopefully not but if you did.

Scammers use ‘phishing’ techniques by sending you a link that you’re persuaded to click on to download a gaming file. But in the process, malicious software is installed onto your device which records your keystrokes (known as a keylogger). By doing that, the scammer can learn login information, including access to your online banking service.

Log-in data is then sold on the dark web.

Run a virus checker to see if it picks up anything malicious on your device. Do not log into your online bank or anything else that has secure or sensitive data until you are confident you have a hard drive free of keyloggers.

Talk to your bank.

Granny14 Tue 09-May-23 12:34:20

Thank you for your advice. I did try Google for contact details but just directed to the chat service. I have actually found that messaging both companies has received prompt responses if only promises to deal with the problem. I'm going to contact my bank now.

Granny14 Tue 09-May-23 12:35:21

Messaged companies on Facebook I meant to say!

Riverwalk Tue 09-May-23 13:00:21

I suspect the emails themselves are the scam - an attempt to entice you to respond and then you end up giving personal details, rather than the emails being from an online gambling company.

A bit like those that purport to be from a bank, Apple, Netflix, etc., saying there's a problem with your account.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 09-May-23 13:12:37

That was my first thought but OP said she managed to speak to someone and get the first account suspended. The fraudster will probably have been able to gamble straight away, may have won some money then moved on to the next site. It’s similar to a situation I had years ago where someone was using various Asian names to set up car insurance using my home address - I received letters from various insurers telling the fraudsters that their payment had been declined and their insurance would be cancelled, but they’d achieved their goal of getting insurance certificates online. Went away eventually after a few phone calls to the insurers.

NanaDana Tue 09-May-23 13:20:15

The priority is to contact your Bank and to tell them what's going on so they can put a block against these so-called gambling sites. If indeed you did manage to speak to someone on one of these sites, and get the account suspended, in doing so I hope you didn't give them any personal info, as the so-called gambling site could indeed be the scammer. Number one priority is to protect your Bank account, every time.