Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

A new one on me - bogus X accounts used for scams.

(2 Posts)
bookwormbabe Fri 09-Oct-26 15:07:47

Yesterday I was nearly caught out by what turns out to have been an attempted scam. I posted a message to Argos on X about an item I had ordered for collection, for which I had not received an email or text message informing me the item was ready to collect. I just wanted confirmation of whether I could collect the item.

A short time afterwards, a voice call came through on my tablet purporting to be from Argos. The person, with an African-sounding accent, told me the order had been misplaced and he wanted me to download an app called LEMFI in order to receive a refund. I actually got as far as downloading the app, but when I was presented with a screen for creating an account wanting all sorts of personal detail I suddenly lost patience - all this rigmarole for the sake of 15 quid - so I terminated the call and deleted the app.

I then went hunting online to try and find out about LEMFI, and I came across accounts of people being scammed. It appears LEMFI itself is legit, but people are setting up bogus X accounts pretending to be companies (it has happened a lot with airlines) and they must scour X for people sending messages about items ordered and not received or money they want refunded for whatever reason, and then they are making these calls using LEMFI as a way of getting their bank account details. Fortunately it didn't get that far in my case, but I wouldn't have put in bank details if it had.

What I'm not sure about is how this person came to be able to put a call through to my tablet. I don't do Whatsapp or Skype or anything, so I'm not sure what the call was coming through on.

bookwormbabe Sat 10-Oct-26 15:09:14

Edit: it turns out my X account has a setting allowing incoming voice calls. I wasn't aware this was even possible on X. Anyway, I have turned it off, so there won't be anyone else trying to speak to me via X.