Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

...that green thing back in our day!!

(48 Posts)
Jacey Fri 25-May-12 11:31:41

Thought I’d share this as I think it is so true !!

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman that she should bring her own shopping bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized and explained, "^We didn't Have this green thing back in my earlier days^."

The cashier responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day. Back then, we returned milk bottles, pop bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. We refilled writing pens with ink Instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every shop and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right.

^ We didn't have the green thing in our day^.

Back then, we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right.

We didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen, not a screen the size of the county of Yorkshire . In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the post, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine.And burn petrol just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right.

^ We didn't have the green thing back then^.

We drank water from a fountain or a tap when we were thirsty instead of demanding a plastic bottle flown in from another country. We accepted that a lot of food was seasonal and didn’t expect that to be bucked by flying it thousands of air miles around the world. We actually cooked food that didn’t come out of a packet, tin or plastic wrap and we could even wash our own vegetables and chop our own salad.

^ But we didn't have the green Thing back then^.

Back then, people took the tram or a bus, and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mothers into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest Pizza joint.

So isn't it sad that the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Thought I’d share with any other “selfish” old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-ass young person.

What else can you remember that we did?

Anagram Fri 25-May-12 20:04:19

At least you got a bit of air to your nether regions, phoenix! grin

fieldwake Fri 25-May-12 20:15:40

No alisonMA I live in a small village and it is the same here, the teenagers are so helpful and polite. It was a generalisation about my experience in the towns and I don't remember such behaviour in the 50's as a teenager in a city. But also when I am on the various school/ballet/brownie runs they all seem in such a rush. My daughter says everyday she has had a busy day and I get a rushed text, yet she has only one child and labour saving devices plus me doing 2 days a week. I worked shifts 6 days a week with 3 children with few mod cons and no grandparent help I just don't remember rushing. I feel I just got on and never thought about if I was busy or not it seemed normal.

shysal Fri 25-May-12 20:48:09

Yes phoenix, I did that with tights, although they made me a bit warm. I haven 't worn tights for years, not since I retired, and haven't worn a dress or skirt either!

jeni Fri 25-May-12 20:53:17

I still find if I am on one of my mobility scooters or wheelchair, I seem to become invisible!
It really gets my goat! It's only my legs that have gone! NOT MY BRAIN!

crimson Fri 25-May-12 20:54:46

I have a real problem with biros, given that the ones we get at work from reps only last about a day and then can't be refilled. It's bothered me for a long time. And I think it's part of my hoarding problem, in that I feel everything should be used again or will have a use one day. Mind you, with the recession and all that we don't get the stuff from reps that we used to! Which is a good thing smile.

Annobel Fri 25-May-12 20:58:10

jeni that should be a slogan for a bumper sticker. Do mobility scooters have bumpers? One of your mobility scooters? How many do you have?

jeni Fri 25-May-12 21:05:22

Two. One is very steady and I can use it anywhere. I have an electric hoist fitted to my car so om independent!
The other is a very small fold up one called a luggie! It folds up to size of a suitcase and if you take the ,lithium, battery off weighs only 23kilos!. It won't take rough terrain or slopes of more than 6degrees.

But it's ideal for cruises.

glassortwo Fri 25-May-12 21:10:49

phoenix I did that with my tights when I was a college and couldn't afford another pair, it was a bit warmer in the winter two layers grin

Grannyknot Sun 27-May-12 19:15:08

Phoenix that brought back such memories. The thing that gets my goat the most angry is the 'use by' date on bottles of e.g. chutney for goodnesssss sake - "Once opened refrigerate (okay, I get that) and use within 5 days" - but it's CHUTNEY I say out loud. Makes an absolute farce of Joanna Lumley's shwopping scheme if you're taking clothes in for Oxfam on the one hand and chucking out perfectly good food on the other. Perhaps we should cover every building on a high street somewhere with unused chutneys and sauces, like she did when she hung clothes all over Brick Lane.

jeni Sun 27-May-12 19:43:31

Couldn't agree more! But if something is out by one day, DDwont use it!

Anagram Sun 27-May-12 19:49:18

I've never put tomato ketchup in the fridge. And we're still all alive and well!

Bags Sun 27-May-12 19:53:13

I never put chutney in the fridge. If it's good chutney, it doesn't need refridgerating and will keep for months even after being opened. A lot of stuff only has a use by date because manufacturers have to put a use by date whether the product really has one or not. Doesn't mean you have to take any notice.

jeni Sun 27-May-12 19:55:40

That explains why following DDs visit , the tomato ketch is in the fridgeconfused
But she left the milk out! (even More) confused

greenmossgiel Sun 27-May-12 20:04:17

I used to do that with my tights as well! You had to be careful not to cut the legs off too high, though.....it could create a lot of discomfort otherwise!! blush
My mother used to put deep hems on my summer dresses, and of course when they were let down, a white line showed where the original hemline had been, so she put ric-rac trimming along it. All my summer dresses were very faded, now I come to think of it!

Bags Sun 27-May-12 20:11:15

Read the first bit, green, and wondered why you put your tights in the fridge! grin

Anagram Sun 27-May-12 20:17:38

I think there was a theory flying round once that putting your tights or nylons in the fridge before you wore them made them less likely to ladder...confused

Annobel Sun 27-May-12 20:25:24

Wasn't it in The Seven Year Itch that Marilyn Monroe kept her knickers in the icebox?

flowerfriend Sun 27-May-12 20:33:45

God - those were the days when I had to keep my knickers in the icebox.

Anagram Sun 27-May-12 20:36:51

confused

Jacey Sun 27-May-12 21:37:58

Well that puts a new slant on 'hot pants'!! [csn't stop laughing] emoticon

numberplease Sun 27-May-12 21:57:30

I still do cut old cards up with pinking shears to make gift tags.

greenmossgiel Sun 27-May-12 22:12:23

Oh crikey, yes!! It looked as if I kept them in the fridge!! grin Then, following that, comes * number*, cutting up her Christmas cards with pinking shears....! Really confused now!! gringrin