Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Nicolas Scafetta. The theory is simple, he says.

(3 Posts)
whenim64 Tue 29-May-12 12:55:16

That does make sense, and we should also keep to our commitment to reduce greenhouse gases. I do like to read scientific articles that don't make outrageous claims, but manage to take a long view.

Butternut Tue 29-May-12 12:28:14

I tried reading this without getting bogged down with the scientific specifics of what he was saying, in order to allow myself to get a feel of the over-view I would hold.

I think I understand the general gist, and like what he said about the harmonic cycle having always existed. That made sense to me.

I particularly liked what he said here...........

"...Yes, but there is the need to study the results that I am finding well. A rational debate requires the willingness to understand what the other person would like to say and how he is making the arguments: understanding what are his findings and so on......."

A modest and open man of science, I think.

Bags Tue 29-May-12 11:48:28

Nicola Scafetta is a scientist at Duke University and at the Active Cavity Radiometer Solar Irradiance Monitor Lab which is associated with the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California. He claims that "at least 60% of the warming of the Earth observed since 1970 appears to be induced by natural cycles which are present in the solar system.” As his theory is controversial, he was asked to outline it. For the near future he predicts a stabilisation of global temperature or cooling until 2030-2040

Further information here