Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Another silly 'health' article

(29 Posts)
Bags Thu 15-Nov-12 09:18:43

Claiming moderate (very moderate) intake of alcoholic drinks during pregnancy "can" cause a drop of two whole IQ points in the baby, except that the causal link cannot be proved.

In other words, it's rubbish.

2 points! That's within the measurement error margin.

Sigh. Wish these twits would stop giving science a bad name.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 16-Nov-12 17:49:46

I couldn't have got through early pregnancy with DD1 without a glass of sherry before my evening meal. I was working full time, feeling sick, and had nights on call (when I didn't have the sherry because of driving). DD1 turned out quite bright.

By the time the next generation was on the way drinking was forbidden and so DDs and DIL didn't drink. The GC have turned out quite bright too.

absentgrana Sat 17-Nov-12 09:42:28

When I was pregnant in 1982 the ante-natal clinic I attended asked expectant mothers if they were willing to take part in a research project about alcohol and pregnancy. All you had to do was record when you had an alcoholic drink, what it was and how big on a chart. I took part – it was easy because I couldn't stomach alcohol for the whole nine months until the last night – but never heard any results. Maybe there weren't enough people filling in their charts or maybe the results were inconclusive. I can't help feeling that thirty years later there should be some definitive conclusions.

Deedaa Sat 17-Nov-12 21:00:44

Is there a link between my average intake of alcohol while pregnant ( about 1 drink a month) and my daughter's PhD? Discuss....