Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

An analysis of climate talks

(4 Posts)
Bags Tue 27-Nov-12 08:22:50

The author reckons they have been a waste of money and time. He suggests that trying for legally binding emissions control is doomed to failure and suggests a different approach.

Some of his comments also suggest to me that the much scoffed at theory - that some people are aiming at world government - is not so far fetched after all.

vampirequeen Tue 27-Nov-12 13:43:08

What an interesting article? Looks like discussing climate change has become a multi-million dollar industry in its own right.

Sel Tue 27-Nov-12 15:37:07

My son's Masters is in Climate Science and I remember him telling me several years ago that the predicted change in the climate here would produce much more regular flooding. That seems to be happening. I've no doubt stats and models will be produced to discount this but maybe, if these floods keep reoccuring, people will be less sceptical. Not that that is relevant to your origional post Bags, sorry.

FlicketyB Tue 27-Nov-12 16:31:34

I take his point about the difficulties facing reaching a legally binding emissions control system but he is thin on suggesting alternatives. He suggests in a sentence the idea that 'other global public goods are provided through voluntary contributions, often bolstered by international jamborees where countries pledge their contributions and review those of others.'

Unfortunately that doesnt have a very good track record either. This is the system used after major natural disasters, the Asian Tsunami for example. Countries all over the world will compete with each other to announce the amount of money they will contribute for immediate aid and long term reconstruction but after the event they do not deliver. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4152285.stm