Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Polar Bears seem to be at full capacity in two areas

(107 Posts)
Bags Mon 10-Jun-13 16:03:33

polarbearscience.com/2013/06/10/signs-that-davis-strait-polar-bears-are-at-carrying-capacity/#more-2059

Bags Tue 20-Aug-13 11:14:18

It's not harmless and it's not sweet. I still think it's bullshit and I don't care if that seems harsh. I don't think it's harsh at all. I think it's possible to be too touchy.

My comment is about what I regard as a rubbish, wrong-headed poem.

My comment is NOT directed at any person or persons. It is directed at emotional twaddle about polar bears.

Bags Tue 20-Aug-13 11:15:15

Which I'm heartily sick of.

Bags Tue 20-Aug-13 11:22:57

I'll give the writer some points for poetical structure and rhythm but the fictional content and the emotional overload make me sick.

vegasmags Tue 20-Aug-13 11:38:32

Dare I own up to liking Nellie The Elephant? grin

Bags Tue 20-Aug-13 11:40:08

Nellie the Elephant is great for getting CPR rhythm right! smile

vegasmags Tue 20-Aug-13 11:45:35

So it is, Bags - and so much nicer than the usual Staying Alive grin

Bags Tue 20-Aug-13 12:00:17

Polar bear thoughts on human alarmism wink

gracesmum Tue 20-Aug-13 16:14:35

I still can't see where you are coming from Bags. This poem is NOTHING about global warming, it is about the sinking of the Titanic - and as far as I know there is no connection. Your comment about "fictional content and emotional overload" making you sick is your opinion.Why is it wmore wrong-headed than any other example of anthropomorphising animals - Winnie the Pooh, Peter Rabbit, The Tiger who came to Tea, or indeed Nellie the Elephant? I don't rubbish your links. Live and let live.

Bags Tue 20-Aug-13 16:27:27

I see your point, gm, and accept my response was odd in the circumstances flowers.

But I still dislike the poem's soppy sentimentalism.

I'm also not sure polar bears live as far south as the Titanic sailed but I'll need to check that out to be sure.

Tegan Tue 20-Aug-13 16:29:29

If they don't live that far south that means the poem is actually fiction sadsadsad.....[goes away sobbing]

gracesmum Tue 20-Aug-13 16:29:29

flowers accepted. You don't have to like the poem - it's hardly in the Poet Laureate class!!

Bags Tue 20-Aug-13 16:36:32

Actually, they might... sort of accidentally. See here for Titanic route and here for polar bear regions smile.

tegan, what don't you understand about my acceptance of my hasty mistake this morning?No need for sobbing smile

Bags Tue 20-Aug-13 16:49:44

And there's no need for sobbing about polar bears either.

Tegan Tue 20-Aug-13 17:11:19

Well, that's a slap on the wrist for me then, isn't it. Pardon me for breathing.

FlicketyB Tue 20-Aug-13 23:03:31

Bags, or should it be Geraldine? Why do attempts to PM you fail because the system says your nickname doesn't exist on the system.

Elegran Wed 21-Aug-13 09:10:51

Bags/Geraldine ? You are not serious, FlicketyB ?

FlicketyB Wed 21-Aug-13 17:14:39

No what I meant was Bags OR Geraldine as the cause of this system failure could be because Bags has been receiving unpleasant PM given the vitriol that has been expressed towards her on some threads so has asked to have her PM service suspended or it could be that it is a Gransnet system failure.

Nothing more exciting

Elegran Wed 21-Aug-13 21:32:57

Phew! That is clear now. i thought you might mean something entirely different.

Nelliemoser Wed 21-Aug-13 22:47:56

I just took that poem to be a funny take on the Titanic story. I would not have taken it as anything else.

It is very much written in the style of some of the more sentimental Victorian ballads. Like this one which I just love as an example of the genre.
allpoetry.com/poem/8544309-Billys_Rose-by-George_Robert_Sims

Prepare to weep! wink

Tegan Wed 21-Aug-13 23:18:22

For some reason the poem made me think of the Walter Potter exhibition I saw at Jamaica Inn years ago, and it saddened me to read just now that it had been sold and dispersed, even though Damien Hurst had offered to pay a lot of money to keep the collection intact. There's something fascinating about the Victorian/Edwardian mindset isn't there? [or is it just me?].

Ella46 Thu 22-Aug-13 09:23:43

FlicketyB Or it means that Bags has left GN?

I do hope not.

FlicketyB Thu 22-Aug-13 15:46:34

shock!!!!!

FlicketyB Thu 22-Aug-13 19:28:46

I really hope not. I read and respected her contributions and read most of the articles she posted, commenting on some.

If she has gone I will really miss her. I hope she returns under another alias.

carboncareful Sat 24-Aug-13 17:38:39

Polar bears are top predators. Eco systems depend on there being predators to regulate populations of other animals etc.
The existence or not of top predators signifies whether an eco system is healthy and sustainable or not. That is why scientists are concerned about polar bears. Scientists working in the Arctic are not soppy sentimentalists about bears any more than they are about lemmings.

PS please note, for the record, that I have never PM'd anyone with the letters bag in their name.

PPS If we had wolves or lynx in Scotland we wouldn't have to keep culling deer.

j08 Sun 25-Aug-13 09:47:59

That poem is truly sickening. And anyone who can't see that is totally devoid of any sensitivity whatsoever.

#Gransnet