Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Woah! Mind-blowing stuff!

(13 Posts)
Bags Tue 25-Jun-13 20:06:15

But totally AWESOME!. Multiverses – universes crashes into each other. Yeehah!

Sorry. But it is rather exciting. grin

Bags Tue 25-Jun-13 20:06:49

Tough if you don't like the word awesome. This stuff really IS!!

carboncareful Fri 09-Aug-13 15:45:13

Serious question Bags: If space (and time) came into existence at the same instance as the rest of our universe........then what are these other universes supposed to be in? i.e. what is between the multi universes?...because it can't be space if it is correct that space came into being as part of our universe so to speak. I have asked scientists (astro physics) and not got an answer.

You could ask one of the many people who supply you with information.

FlicketyB Fri 09-Aug-13 17:58:27

Carbon throughout this article the scientists involved in this very interesting article express their doubts about the conclusions they are drawing from the factual information they have recently received.

It is in the best traditions of scientific research where scientists receive new results and then hypothesise what they mean and then examine and study to see if the results support the hypothesis and if not move on to develop new hypotheses.

I do not think any individuals supply Bags with information. She searches the internet and finds and posts articles that interest her.

j08 Fri 09-Aug-13 18:01:49

Twitter supplies Bags with information. grin

j08 Fri 09-Aug-13 18:03:32

And doesn't she search the internet! grin

carboncareful Fri 09-Aug-13 18:44:17

Flickerty, sorry you have totally misunderstood. That was a serious question which I have been puzzling over for a long time.
It has nothing to do with disagreements with Bags about Climate Change or the behaviour of some scientists regarding climate change.

I am very interested in this subject and was hoping to initiate a proper discussion with Bags about something which we could not possibly disagree about. I perfectly understand how science works (or should work), I have studied Popper.
I just can't see how universes could float about in nothing (nothing being not space). I can only assume they a theorising that there is something that is not space that things can be in. Trouble is that, although I've read lots of stuff around this subject I have not found an answer i.e. a theory.

j08 Fri 09-Aug-13 19:59:49

I expect Bags is very grateful that she has got some replies at last. smile

j08 Fri 09-Aug-13 20:00:15

Can't imagine why she didn't get any before.

j08 Fri 09-Aug-13 20:01:00

Bags needs carbon. (and vice versa I'm sure)

Galen Fri 09-Aug-13 20:26:43

Two months later?

Ariadne Fri 09-Aug-13 20:37:25

Now I see why lots of old threads are suddenly being resuscitated!

FlicketyB Fri 09-Aug-13 21:34:46

Carbon, I understand the serious nature of your query. I think this is a point that puzzles many people, me included, but, to me, this article was all about doubt and uncertainty, hypothesising, not proven theory and I suspect that your question still puzzles most of them as well and nobody yet has an answer to it.