Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Storm a blowing in!

(50 Posts)
tanith Thu 05-Dec-13 09:58:36

Hope everyone stays safe through this storm, the high tides adding to dangerous conditions. Hopefully Britain is better protected from the sea than in previous times.

annodomini Thu 05-Dec-13 10:49:40

When we lived a couple of miles from King's Lynn we used to hear the flood warning sirens going. I imagine they will hear them today.

JessM Thu 05-Dec-13 11:04:05

It's not just high tides it's a storm surge. High pressure pushes down on one bit of ocean and it bulges up under an area of low pressure. This then funnels down the north sea to the narrows of the channel, getting higher and higher and up estuaries, with a wind pushing the bulge in front of it, and anywhere where there is a coastal plain. In cyclones and hurricanes where there is extreme low pressure the bulge can be several metres high. Take any evacuation warnings very seriously this week and if in low lying coastal areas, move papers and valuables to upstairs. Really - this is the biggest event of this kind in at least 30 years and is not just a bit of bad weather.

grannyactivist Thu 05-Dec-13 11:14:39

It seems somewhat surreal to read of winds of 140 mph in Scotland whilst sitting in the Devon sunshine with nary a breeze. The East coast looks set to be battered by the storm surge and Scotland seems to bearing the brunt of the high winds. Hope the grans in those regions stay safe and are not too badly affected.

Brendawymms Thu 05-Dec-13 11:16:12

I well remember the 1953 flood and it's aftermath. Water to the ceiling and parents having to wash everything down. Hole made in foundation bricks to let water out from under the floor. No new anything however not even new plaster or floorboards we just waited for it to dry out.
I won't live anywhere less than 100 above sea level or anywhere that will flood. Consequently live on top of a hill so worry about wind damage!

Stansgran Thu 05-Dec-13 11:26:30

We are on top of a hill and I do remember the gutters being ripped off at the back of the house . This must have been about 30 years ago.the sun is out now but the birds are still flying backwards. We did lots of leaf raking at the week end and the remaining leaves are neatly piled up in corners. I'm still very anxious about a sycamore but it's on council land and they say its safe every time I ask.

JessM Thu 05-Dec-13 11:53:51

Can confirm tide is very high here in Menai. Up over the park and not just over the promenade, over the wall as well. Wild. Roads quiet, Waitrose empty. Am just going to make my apologies for NT volunteer gardening this PM. There are limits.

ninathenana Thu 05-Dec-13 12:11:37

I live on a coast road in Kent. However,we are on a slight incline, our house escaped the floods of '53. DH is away this week too tchsad I am rather worried, it's supposed to hit us this evening.
Strong breeze and sunny at the moment. The calm before the storm ?

thatbags Thu 05-Dec-13 12:36:33

Two big trees down in our garden and a collection of roof guttering. When there was Hurricane Bawbags we were fairly sheltered because it came from the south-west. Today's wind is roaring down the loch so we're getting the full whammy. There are some pics on my blog at the boggybrae (I think I'm allowed to say that since I'm not selling or advertising anything). No doubt this post will be swatted if it's not allowed.

No trains running because of Victorian glass-roofed stations deemed unsafe.

No school bus running so Minibags still at home.

I do like interesting weather.

merlotgran Thu 05-Dec-13 12:39:21

I am glad we live in an area of the fens where the water level is kept low by pumping the rivers and drains. We are slightly below sea level but the washes and high banks should keep everything at bay. The worst flood we've had was in May 1976 just before the long drought. Our driveway and garden were flooded because water from the Old West river was leaking through rabbit and rat holes in the banks.

Very worrying for folk living on the East coast. I hope everyone stays safe.

janerowena Thu 05-Dec-13 12:44:02

I'm in the East although not on the coast, and I have to say it is indeed extremely windy. We still had lots of yellow leaves on the trees yesterday - not a sign of any now. sad The clouds are fairly hurtling across the sky. Best go and catch up the GC's swing I think - it looks as if a mad ghost child is seated on it.

Nelliemoser Thu 05-Dec-13 12:46:20

BrendaW I am not surprised you won't live anywhere under 100 ft. It must have been very scary for a child.

ninathenana Thu 05-Dec-13 16:44:16

Wind has really got up now, DD just rang she's on her way with DGCx2 to camp out here as large area of her village (approx 4miles away) is without power. Fingers crossed we'll be ok for power.

annodomini Thu 05-Dec-13 17:05:11

Whenever I think it's getting calmer, the gusts become stronger again. And yes, all those yellow birch leaves that have clung on so long are now adorning my garden. I hope all you people who live near the coast have a peaceful night.

whenim64 Thu 05-Dec-13 17:30:49

anno my friend visited from Marple and has headed back there via Poynton - sat there for nearly two hours because a tree had fallen on a car not far from where you are. Don't know if anyone was hurt. Hope not!

Ariadne Thu 05-Dec-13 17:57:36

Very, very windy now in North Devon, though the sunshine as well this afternoon. Glad we are up from the sea and the river, though! It was gusting about 60 earlier. (SiL knows these things.)

Ariadne Thu 05-Dec-13 17:57:54

Though!!!

bikergran Thu 05-Dec-13 18:27:25

Piece of fencing gone and 1 pane of greenhouse glass...so far..but winds died down a bit now in Lancashire near Preston....but it looks terrible what they are showing on the news.,!

AlieOxon Thu 05-Dec-13 18:31:47

Fairly blowy here but that's all....but I remembered that in 1953 there were more people killed in coastal Europe than there were here, no news that I have seen has mentioned that the storm is also heading for Denmark and southern Sweden - I just looked it up online.......

NfkDumpling Thu 05-Dec-13 18:38:05

I only remember a bit about the '53 floods Brenda. We were living in Norwich and I was only six - but it must have been bad as I do remember it and it was enough to make name refuse to ever live by the sea or in oNe of those beautiful riverside properties.
We've lost so much of our beaches now around Norfolk - not that all the dredging off shore has had anything to do with it!!
Also Anno no one will hear the sirens. The Powers That Be decided that mobile phone alerts (one bar of signal if you're lucky) and broadband (ha!) will do, so now the police and volunteer flood wardens have to call on every house and patrol to keep sightseers at bay.

NfkDumpling Thu 05-Dec-13 18:39:35

Just seen that at Jaywick most people are refusing to move!

annodomini Thu 05-Dec-13 19:15:20

when, I haven't bothered to venture out today so I hadn't heard about the tree. Not surprised though. The big trees across the brook from my garden have been bending as I've never seen them bend before.

annodomini Thu 05-Dec-13 19:17:20

Nfk, how very short-sighted of them. The sound of the sirens was ominous, but a very good alert.

JessM Thu 05-Dec-13 19:29:25

Lots of people flooded out of their homes in the Rhyl area, and it is going to be worse tonight on the high tide on the east coast, surely.

Iam64 Thu 05-Dec-13 20:27:44

It's calming down in north Bolton. It was so windy all day and heavy rain at times. I hope everyone is safe. My scariest storm moment was at Centre Parks, when 12 foot broke off the top of one of the fir trees. It came right through our ceiling, just above my bed. Fortunately, we were in the kitchen at the time, the noise was terrifying. A lighter moment, when the two guys next door arrived, and admired it. They said it was the most exciting thing they'd experienced all week.
When we phoned the security folks, their first question was "have you any lights love" . I said, yes we have electricity. "NO, I meant Christmas lights, it'd be lovely on that tree through your roof". They appeared minutes later, ready to move us to another house, a bottle of wine and large box of chocs.