Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

I'm infested with pigeons

(32 Posts)
broomsticks Thu 05-Dec-13 11:40:57

Short of buying a peregrine falcon is there any way of persuading them to go away?

ninathenana Thu 05-Dec-13 12:24:27

If you find solution, please tell me !!!

There is a flock of 20 or so that continually bully all the birds that I try to attract to my bird table [cthangry]

annodomini Thu 05-Dec-13 12:37:39

Are these pigeons the street kind or are they the large wood pigeons that enjoy the limited fruits of my wilderness garden?

ninathenana Thu 05-Dec-13 12:49:42

The ones that give me trouble are the common feral ones. Do have visits from a pair of wood pigeons but I don't mind them.

broomsticks Thu 05-Dec-13 16:02:40

I don't know the difference really. They're not ring doves. We get lost racing pigeons quite often that we have to be rescue and send home, but these are just nasty feral things. I fear for my poor broccoli plants!

thatbags Thu 05-Dec-13 16:09:37

Sadly, the best way to discourage them is probably to stop putting out bird food.

We get far fewer visits from wood pigeons now that there isn't a constant supply of hen food in the garden. They are still around in the trees and fields but they don't come into the garden so much.

Anne58 Thu 05-Dec-13 17:06:42

At least they are not in the actual house!

Many years ago when with exdh, we became aware that the buggers seemed to be nesting in our loft. Couldn't block the holes as that would have meant nestfuls of squabs starving to death and smelling. As pigeons seem to have a never ending breeding season this state of affairs went on for some time. (I made it clear that climbing up ladders into the loft was not my area of responsibility, I had never been into the loft before and saw no reason to start now)

Fast forward several months and we had put the house on the market ready to re-locate to Devon. Had an offer and all was progressing nicely. The buyers valuer/surveyor type person came round, poked his damp meter into the walls, measured things etc. He then wanted to have a look at the loft.

It is an image forever burned onto my retinas. There he was, nice smart suit and shiny shoes. He opened the loft hatch and was showered in a mixture of guano and feathers.

I think it was about then that I decided that the dogs were due for a walk.

broomsticks Thu 05-Dec-13 20:23:20

We do have a very pretty little feather lined nest under our floorboards upstairs. Probably rats or mice though as I can't see how pigeons could get in there. We just put the floorboards back and pretended we hadn't seen it. Can't hear anything scuttering about at least.

Deedaa Sun 08-Dec-13 23:40:56

Remembering the way a woodpigeon smashed through my neighbour's double glazing in it's attempt to escape I think a peregrine would be very effective smile
A theatre I was involved in rebuilding had had generations of pigeons living on the top floor. The state of the rooms up there was beyond description.

Anne58 Mon 09-Dec-13 21:48:11

Probably a bit like my old loft!

Deedaa Mon 09-Dec-13 21:53:19

I think the dead ones were the worst bit !

Agus Mon 09-Dec-13 22:17:01

Sadly and very reluctantly I came to the conclusion that the only way to get rid of them was to stop putting out bird food. Apart from smaller birds being bullied, the mess they made meant I had to clean a lot of areas before GDs could play outside during the summer. No matter what feeders I used, they still,appeared looking for leftovers.

I have just started putting out food recently as in winter, we do not use outside areas very much..

Ana Mon 09-Dec-13 22:24:23

That's what we had to do, Agus - never been bothered by pigeons until this year.

BTW, every time I look at the title of this thread, I think of fleas, or headlice! tchgrin

Anne58 Mon 09-Dec-13 23:52:24

Not crabs then Ana ?

seasider Tue 10-Dec-13 06:45:55

Two pigeons roost above son's bedroom window and the cooing annoys him a bit so his dad leans out of our window and"shoots" them with a water pistol. They do move out for a while. My partner used to run a pub where the loft was infested with pigeons. The amount of poo they produced caused the living accommodation to be overrun with small beetles. When he left he said he would write a book "my life with the beetles!"smile

broomsticks Fri 13-Dec-13 16:28:34

Pigeon numbers are now up to twenty. There is no food they can actually get at but they sit like vultures on the roof hoping the little birds might spill something. It can't be a good way to make a living.

There is also a large hole at the bottom of the garden. Rats? Still it's a long way away.

No fleas mercifully grin

Lona Fri 13-Dec-13 17:04:21

When I had a fleeting visit from a rat a few weeks ago, (it's not been back!), the pest control man said " No bird food or scraps, and tell all the neighbours!"

rosesarered Tue 07-Jan-14 13:01:10

I do agree with the not feeding birds in the garden policy, not even seeds or nuts. I am sad about this, but it's the only way not to have patio areas full of pigeon poo.We had so many pigeons in my village BUT since the red kites have done so well in the last few years and are spreading [they coast about in the air looking for pigeons] there are fewer about thank goodness. My son and DGS were looking out of their window at a pigeon strutting about when a kite pounced on it and there was a flurry of feathers [son turned DGS the other way not to see it] then next doors cat pounced on BOTH birds and made off with the pigeon.Nature eh? Red in tooth and claw.

Iam64 Tue 07-Jan-14 13:10:25

For a couple of years ago we've had a sparrow hawk who sits in on of the big trees as the back of our garden. She (I looked her up in a bird book) sat imperiously, deciding which of the several bird tables would provide her next snack. I came into the kitchen one day, to see her sitting under the bird table, with the body of a pigeon in her mouth, its feathers were on the ground around her. Watching her, watching me, and then her takeoff, slowly, her snack safely in her mouth was a memorable experience. i've accepted the pigeons will be regular visitors, but it's worth it to have all the finches, thrushes, black birds and others around as well.

Aka Sun 12-Jan-14 15:37:30

7-year old GS practising for the forthcoming RSPB Bird Watch later this month.

'Nana, I've just seen a robin'
'Very nice dear' (distracted by complicated knitting pattern)
'Nana, there's a magpie on the fence'
'Yes, we get a lot of those' (k2 tog, PSSO)
'Nana, there's a vulture on the top of the climbing frame'
'Very nice dear'....????? ... (transfer remaining stitches ......??)
Glance up and there is indeed a vulture sitting in the top of the climbing frame (drop stitches)

Phone castle, yet again. Yes, they'll come and collect it immediately.
Last time it was a Golden Eagle which went AWOL from the flying display.

Pick stitches up, transfer to holder. Note to self, count chickens when it's gone.

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Jan-14 16:14:52

Aka! grin

Nonu Sun 12-Jan-14 16:21:22

lovely thread Akax

Nonu Sun 12-Jan-14 16:22:09

meant aka x
whoops a daisy !

Aka Sun 12-Jan-14 16:59:30

I'd barely finished typing this when two youngish men arrived and we were treated to a display using their lure wink
Very exciting.
GS thrilled. He got to stroke it.
Chickens all accounted for.

Iam64 Mon 13-Jan-14 18:07:09

Aka, thanks for that, it's made me smile.
It also reminded me of a Dolphin walk we did with our children, then aged 5 and 6. We were staying with nanny and grandad on the south coast. At the end of the Dolphin walk, the children proudly told the number collectors, that one of them had seen 20 and the other 15 dolphins. The number collectors were so kind, and didn't tell the children they'd been counting waves. Neither did we.
Vultures now - that's another thing all together.