Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

The floods have arrived

(132 Posts)
FlicketyB Fri 07-Feb-14 11:45:42

I have put up a couple of posts on other threads, but as it is a developing situation, I thought I would start a separate thread.

When we moved here 20 years ago the village had no reputation for flooding. There had been floods in 1895 and 1947, but these had seen exceptional floods countrywide. Then in 2007 Wales, Gloucestershire and the northern Home counties found themselves caught in, what we were later told was, the 1,000 rain event, nothing to do with global warming. The village was flooded, including about 40 houses. It recovered and we all considered it was a one off and we would need to wait another 50 years for the next flood.

Its 2014. There has over the last two or three months been excessive rain. When I woke this morning (I am an early riser) I opened the curtains and my eye was caught by the street lights which seemed to be glimmering and reflecting off the road surface. I looked again and realised it was water. I nipped out to the front gate in my dressing gown and the water stretched as far up the road as I could see.

Once I was dressed and it was light I went out with my camera. There are four streets in the village running laterally for up to a mile from the main road. They are all flooded, from a few inches to well over a foot. Thankfully most of the roads lie below the level of the houses but 5 houses already have water coming in. Others are managing to hold it off with sandbags at garden gates. Although it has not rained since 6.00am the water has not gone down and with more rain forecast for the weekend we expect it to rise further. We are meant to be above any flood level. It would have to rise nearly 2 foot to reach us, but one of our neighbours who was flooded in 2007 in a different house has moved all papers and books off the bottom shelf of her bookcases.

The one thing the water has done is activate a real camaraderie between people in the village. The school is shut and parents and children and the rest of the village are all out and about chatting to each other.

Joelise Tue 18-Feb-14 15:26:00

Oh no Flickety , that sounds a long & messy job ! Hope it all works out well for you.
We have just had the surveyor in, & she had to take a brick out of the bedroom wall, INSIDE ! She says it will mean re pointing & putting a coating on the wall ( outside) but, thank God it " will be a lot less than £15000 " she certainly earned her fee, she was here for ages & was very thorough. We will wait for it to dry out for a few months & then have it done. The positive side is that I can go along to John Lewis & choose wallpaper for the sitting room & bedroom !

margaretm74 Tue 18-Feb-14 15:35:53

Hope it doesn't cost a fortune joelise or flickety

JessM Wed 19-Feb-14 08:50:18

Ah - it was not a great era for builders was it. I was wondering whether you were covered by the house builders guarantee thing if it was newer.

broomsticks Wed 26-Feb-14 16:52:36

Sorry to hear about flood problems Joelise. Horrible.

I suppose dredging rivers would help a bit but from what I've been reading the main problem (apart from the freak weather obviously) is governments only paying for short term solutions.
Rivers have been straightened which makes the problem worse, instead of being allowed to meander along the water rushes down.
Tree planting is a real help too, as the ground under trees absorbs much more water (65% more, does that sound right, not sure).

Obviously building on flood plains is not a great idea either. I think they have now developed a kind of driveway material that allows water to drain through and away. Not sure how much it is used though.

sad

Joelise Wed 26-Feb-14 23:03:44

I think we could learn a lot from the Dutch on building on flood plains, there was a very interesting item on the Today programme on Radio 4 yesterday. Some of the houses they had built were amphibious, & rose as the water encroached, sounded very strange, but if it works ??

JessM Thu 27-Feb-14 07:50:19

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20502736

There was a longer coverage of Dutch solutions on Costing the Earth on R4 last week. They have been compensating farmers for having their land flooding under a project called something like Make Room for the River.