Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Instinct or Inherited Memory?

(38 Posts)
HollyDaze Sun 23-Mar-14 16:04:23

Grannknot - I'm pleased you enjoyed reading it. There are still so many things we don't understand but you can't help getting the feeling that the surface is definitely being scratched!

HollyDaze Sun 23-Mar-14 16:03:33

Mollie - it seems pretty certain that experiences are passed on as the study has shown. Like you, I do wonder about memories, or reactions, to certain places or situations; if memories of fear are passed on, why not others?

rosequartz Fri 21-Mar-14 20:07:41

I wonder if that is where I have heard of it before, Grannyknot? I haven't read that book but perhaps read a review of it.

Flies, bees etc don't worry me, but fluttery things, such as butterflies, moths, crane flies do, despite having tried to overcome my fear over the years.

nanos8 Fri 21-Mar-14 19:50:15

Mollie I agree I'd like inherited memory proven so many times when the feeling of deja vu is overwhelming and you can't quite pinpoint the reason.
I think dogs have this ability of inherited memory annodomini don't they. Did I read they can literally 'sniff' the history of an area or carpet etc. and recall heredity experiences. Scarey stuff.
Hollydaze how interesting the possibility of inherited memories are.

annodomini Fri 21-Mar-14 17:39:56

I wonder if this applies to dogs. My parents had a yellow labrador whose father had been the champion gun dog of Scotland. Our dog had never been out with the guns, in fact she was thrown out of obedience classes. However, when a friend of Dad's 'borrowed' her for a day's shooting, she knew exactly how to retrieve and behaved impeccably. Heredity, or just being a labrador.

Grannyknot Fri 21-Mar-14 16:26:06

Holly that is fascinating.

I remember years ago reading a book called (I think) The Memory of Water and it was to do with 'cell memory'.

Nonnie Fri 21-Mar-14 16:19:32

I don't want to believe this as it sort of implies that I could be like one of my parents and that is not a pleasant thought.

mollie Fri 21-Mar-14 16:19:31

I've not considered it for fears or phobias (probably because I don't have any bad ones) but I have thought about an inherited memory in relation to place. It is the only way to explain the coincidences in the family history and the sense of knowing a place that we've never visited before that some of us have experienced. I'd certainly like it to be proven.

HollyDaze Fri 21-Mar-14 16:10:57

Galen - maybe a grandfather or grandmother fell from a ladder or tumbled downstairs?

I wonder if humanity will ever reach the stage when everything can be explained and will we miss the mystery of life!

HollyDaze Fri 21-Mar-14 16:09:28

It is weird JessM but could go some way in explaining odd reactions to things and help treat people with phobias.

Galen Fri 21-Mar-14 16:04:08

Heights?

JessM Fri 21-Mar-14 16:03:45

Never knew cherry blossom had much of a smell.
This epigenetics stuff is pretty weird and new.

HollyDaze Fri 21-Mar-14 15:52:11

Have you ever taken an instinctive dislike to something or feared something that seems irrational?

I dislike anything with wings fluttering around me and I've lost count of the times I've been told 'they won't hurt you' - I know that! I just don't like it.

It now seems that these 'instinctual' reactions could be inherited memories:

Behaviour can be affected by events in previous generations which have been passed on through a form of genetic memory, animal studies suggest.

Experiments showed that a traumatic event could affect the DNA in sperm and alter the brains and behaviour of subsequent generations.

The animals were trained to fear a smell similar to cherry blossom.

The team at the Emory University School of Medicine, in the US, then looked at what was happening inside the sperm.

They showed a section of DNA responsible for sensitivity to the cherry blossom scent was made more active in the mice's sperm.

Both the mice's offspring, and their offspring, were "extremely sensitive" to cherry blossom and would avoid the scent, despite never having experienced it in their lives.

"The experiences of a parent, even before conceiving, markedly influence both structure and function in the nervous system of subsequent generations," the report concluded.

The findings provide evidence of "transgenerational epigenetic inheritance" - that the environment can affect an individual's genetics, which can in turn be passed on.

Prof Marcus Pembrey, from University College London, said the findings were "highly relevant to phobias, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorders" and provided "compelling evidence" that a form of memory could be passed between generations

Do you feel that anything irrational that you fear or dislike could be explained by this?