Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Worrying research about pesticides

(57 Posts)
Eloethan Sun 29-Jun-14 12:37:48

The Guardian recently reported on new research conducted by an international team of scientists regarding the widespread and routine use of neonicotinoids. The research not only highlights the damaging effect on the environment of this class of pesticide but also the "striking" lack of evidence that its use leads to increased crop yields.

A scientist is quoted as saying "The evidence is very clear. We are witnessing a threat to the productivity of our natural and farmed environment equivalent to that posed by organophosphates or DDT". The report warns of the loss of worms, which aerate the soil, pollinators, such as bees, and of dragonflies which eat mosquitos. Some studies showed that ditchwater has become so contaminated that it could be used as a lice-control pesticide.

The Crop Protection Association's (which represents pesticide manufacturers) Chief Executive's response was "It is a selective review of existing studies ... does not represent a robust assessment of the safety of systemic pesticides under realistic conditions of use". As Mandy Rice-Davies said "Well, he would say that wouldn't he."

Aka Tue 15-Jul-14 06:36:40

Correcting genetic abnormalities in humans I have no problem with.

But the statement '...a gene is a gene. I don't think it matters if it comes from a tomato or a pig' is totally inaccurate, biologically. That is not just my opinion, it is a matter of scientific fact.

Is your indifference to the effects of poorly applied GM based on your understanding that genes are all identical perhaps Bags?

HollyDaze Tue 15-Jul-14 17:48:18

I cannot understand the meddling between species or across the animal/vegetable world.

I agree rosequartz.

I'm not entirely sold on the whole evolution from a single point either - if, say, for instance a dog had sex with a cat, would that produce viable offspring? I'd be surprised if it did. We may have begun at the same starting point but we have changed drastically over time.

MiniMouse Tue 15-Jul-14 18:03:31

To get back to the original OP, here's an updated link to 38degrees, who are asking people to sign a 'card' which will be sent to Liz Truss (the newly re-shuffled MP)

https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/bees-card

Here is the content of the email that I received today from 38degrees:

"Could today mark the fresh start we desperately need for Britain’s beloved bees? Owen Paterson - the minister responsible for bees - has been given the boot in today’s cabinet reshuffle. He’s been replaced by Conservative MP Liz Truss. [1]

Now Liz Truss has a choice: she could follow Owen Paterson’s lead and champion mega pesticide firms over our bees, or she could decide to protect them. [2]

As she settles into her new role, she’ll hear from lobbyists in the big pesticide firms congratulating her. But together we can make sure the voices of thousands and thousands of us drown theirs out.

So let’s send her a congratulations card, signed by thousands of us, to make sure she knows we want her to protect our precious bees. It’s a bit cheeky but with a hard-hitting message. And signing the card is just as easy as signing a petition. Let’s get thousands of signatures on the card in the first 24 hours of her new job.

Owen Paterson wasn’t a friend of the bees - in fact he put them in huge danger by backing bee-killing pesticides. But if Liz Truss knows that the British public want her to do everything she can to protect bees, she could plough a different furrow.

Our bees don’t have a voice, but that’s where 38 Degrees members come in. Together we have helped fight for their survival. Just a few weeks ago we helped stop a controversial application to allow bee-killer pesticides back on UK fields. And we’ve worked alongside campaigners from across Europe to get these killer pesticides banned. [3]

If bees go - so do we. Can you sign the card to Liz Truss now? The more people who sign, the more impact it will have. Imagine receiving a card signed by thousands of people!"

https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/bees-card

thatbags Tue 15-Jul-14 20:15:07

"Meddling" happens naturally too.

Gene transfer between species happens naturally. See Bacterial conjugation

Viruses can and do transfer genes btw bacteria, and btw bacteria and plant cells, plus viral dna has appeared in higher organisms (such humans), so even across kingdoms, let alone species. See Endogenous retrovirus.

About 5% (exact figure varies depending where you look) of human DNA is endogenous retroviral DNA. Most of this is now switched off (most 'appear to be defective', i.e. can no longer be transcribed into effective proteins) from doing anything in humans but it is thought that some could still be active in multiple sclerosis.

So no, aka, it's not that I think all genes are the same or that I'm indifferent to poorly applied GM, but that I believe in science and I believe in human curiosity, so that in principle I'm not opposed to GM foods. I believe I may have mentioned the 'in principle' bit before. Not objecting in principle is not indifference, as I'm sure you are fully aware.

GM food also doesn't worry me. It appears to worry some people.

thatbags Tue 15-Jul-14 20:15:41

such as humans

thatbags Tue 15-Jul-14 20:42:05

Besides, if I were indifferent, I wouldn't be on here discussing GM. No need to cast nasturtiums cupcake