Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Can we go on like this?

(41 Posts)
Eloethan Thu 24-Jul-14 23:57:58

I've just been watching Newsnight. The final item was about the massive amount of electrical equipment that goes into landfill each year: 500,000 tons of electronic equipment and 20,000 tons of precious metals.

Dame Ellen Mcarthur reflected on the way she lived when she did her round-the-world race - when resources were treated as precious because they were finite. She talked about the "make, break, dispose of" economy that exists now and said we must find ways of retrieving/recycling materials. Apart from being very wasteful, these sorts of materials are not biodegradable. Surely there must be a limit to how much of this stuff can be dumped?

She had some interesting ideas about a "circular economy" which is a model that attempts to break our present wasteful economic cycle. I thought some Gransnetters might be interested.

HollyDaze Sat 26-Jul-14 14:03:49

Tegan - both benefit from it, it's just that some benefit a lot more than others. Sadly, it is the way our economy is structured and there is little we can do about it unless we go back to bartering.

I do agree with Eloethan in that economies (not just ours) do need a radical rethink as it does tend only to really benefit those at the top (nothing new there!) whilst providing an adequate income for those further down the 'pecking order'.

Aka Sat 26-Jul-14 15:04:20

It's too late, we're all doomed.

Galen Sat 26-Jul-14 15:16:05

Doomed I tell you

NanKate Sun 27-Jul-14 13:51:41

Don't tell them your name Pike. grin

HollyDaze Sun 27-Jul-14 16:08:19

I don't know why, NanKate, but I thought that was one of the funniest lines on tv I've ever heard - and I don't even like Dad's Army! grin

Nonu Sun 27-Jul-14 16:15:23

The Scrap Iron men go round my DD"s neighbour and they live in Bournville!

Love to hear them sing out --very evocative !

NanKate Sun 27-Jul-14 16:18:48

I agree Hollydaze.

Also Morecambe and Wise with Andre Previn (or Preview as he was called).

'I am playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order'

Eloethan Mon 28-Jul-14 00:43:38

Yes, I loved that line too Holly - and the Andre Preview sketch is my absolute favourite.

NanKate Mon 28-Jul-14 07:03:05

Eloethan it shows how good the humour was then because we remember the words and actions so well.

I can watch or listen to Hancocks Half Hour and I remember the script in places word for word. grin

HollyDaze Mon 28-Jul-14 10:55:38

Oh yes NanKate and Eloethan - the Morecambe & Wise sketch with Andre Previn is an absolute classic grin I had to go and watch it again and I read the following comment:

At a concert in Britain afterwards, Previn had to stop the playing of the Grieg Concerto to allow the audience time to stop giggling as they remembered the sketch

grin

whenim64 Sat 11-Oct-14 16:27:11

Watch this YouTube cartoon - 'Man' by Steve Cutts. Really hits home.

m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=WfGMYdalClU

Eloethan Sun 12-Oct-14 00:50:47

Brilliant - but horrifying - cartoon.

soontobe Wed 19-Nov-14 17:15:06

Yes I think it can and will carry on.

I used to think that we would be overrun by landfill. But the sites are scattered around.
And when you look at areas from the air, is it something like 90% of Britain is still green fields.

[I am presuming it is all right to have a look round the gransnet site at old threads?]

FarNorth Wed 19-Nov-14 17:29:33

Our rubbish / recyclates collecting lorries have adverts on the side to say that recycling saves the council money and so keeps the council tax down. That's the kind of incentive that might influence people.

Most charity shops have stopped accepting electrical goods but in our area we have an organisation called Restart. It takes electrical goods that are still working, as well as furniture of all kinds. It employs people, many of them with disabilities and / or long-term unemployed, to refurbish the items and they are then sold at reasonable prices in their shop. Win-win all round, I'd say.

soontobe Wed 19-Nov-14 17:39:04

Our rubbish / recyclates collecting lorries have adverts on the side to say that recycling saves the council money and so keeps the council tax down. That's the kind of incentive that might influence people.

True.

Most charity shops have stopped accepting electrical goods but in our area we have an organisation called Restart. It takes electrical goods that are still working, as well as furniture of all kinds. It employs people, many of them with disabilities and / or long-term unemployed, to refurbish the items and they are then sold at reasonable prices in their shop. Win-win all round, I'd say

Brilliant.