Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

This thread is NOT deep and serious science.

(12 Posts)
Elegran Tue 13-Jan-15 13:56:25

On Sunday I had two visitors simultaneously (not planned) My son and my brother both turned up and as usual their conversation went mostly over my head. I had been trying to do some sewing and was complaining about the intricacies of working out how things would fit together when turned inside out, which got them talking about Moebius strips.

I knew about these, but was introduced to some fascinating sidelights. If any non-mathematical Gran feels like performing a bit of simple scientific magic with the GC, here is how (try it in private first) - four variations:-

1) Cut a strip of paper about an inch or two wide and a foot or so long - from an A4 sheet is about right. It is better with paper that is coloured on one side, but boring white stuff from the printer will do. Bring one end of the strip round to meet the other end and join them into a ring with a bit of sellotape BUT give the strip a half-turn first, so that there is a half-twist in it. This is a Moebius strip. Start writing or drawing along one face and keep going until you can't go any further. The You tube video link below shows how.

2) Make another strip and cut along the centre of the strip all the way round.

3) Make another strip and cut along all the way round, a third of the way across the strip.

4) Make another strip and give this one a full twist. Cut round the centre of the strip.

There is a youtube video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-19NLKxNUc and one showing how to make a cute pair of linked Moebius hearts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqmG6mq0c_M

ffinnochio Tue 13-Jan-15 14:57:02

I love that Elegran. If my grandchildren lived just a bit closer it's just the thing I'd be doing with them. It's also the sort of thing my daughter-in-law would do with the kids, so thanks for the links. In fact, I can just imagine her saying 'freaking awesome!' wink Off to email the info.

What a nice way to have spent a Sunday afternoon. smile

Elegran Tue 13-Jan-15 15:10:17

This is just the kind of thing my father did with us (He taught maths and physics - the maths didn't rub off on me, but some of the demonstrations did) My father was a mathematician,my brother studied maths, my husband physics, and two of my three children science. I have spent many Sunday afternoons listening to them (or a subset of them) earnestly discussing the origins of rainbows, with diagrams, or making "static boxes" with a clear cover, containing bits of confetti-like stuff that danced when you rubbed the cover. When I said that I wished my spinning wheel had an attachment for winding wool, powered by the treadle, a consortium of three of them designed me a beautiful one. No-one actually made me one, of course, they had moved on by then.

Never a dull moment!

rockgran Tue 13-Jan-15 15:20:23

That was fascinating! Wish my grandchildren lived nearer, I'd love to show them this.

Agus Tue 13-Jan-15 15:35:46

GDs will love this as do I. Thank you Elegran

Nelliemoser Tue 13-Jan-15 16:21:16

I knew what one was but I have never constructed one. It sounds like a thing to do on a rainy day.

Elegran Tue 13-Jan-15 16:52:39

The title says that it is not serious science, but in fact it is - there are all kinds of references to it.

3D version - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle

Bach - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHQ2ybTejU

and endless speculation on whether we live in a Moebius universe (Google it yourself)

baubles Tue 13-Jan-15 18:13:28

Excellent Elegran. My DGD will love this, thank you.

rubylady Wed 14-Jan-15 03:03:45

Showing this to my DS when he gets home from college tomorrow. And there are heart ones to do too for Valentine's Day. grin

Elegran Wed 14-Jan-15 11:49:07

The heart ones looked a bit more demanding. I foresee a lot of waste paper going into the recycling before we get it right.

ffinnochio Wed 14-Jan-15 12:22:14

Elegran My daughter-in-law was delighted with the links. I heard this morning that my 4 yr old granddaughter adored the hearts, with pics to prove it smile, so thank you for helping me to find another way to bridge the miles with my family.

Elegran Wed 14-Jan-15 12:56:49

That is good to hear, FFinnochio Maybe the Moebius strip will join the rows of dancers and the snowflakes in your DD's armoury?