Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Turin shroud

(12 Posts)
Elegran Fri 19-Jun-15 13:00:22

There is an article on www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33164668 today about the Turin shroud, an interesting medieval icon.

I don't understand, if, as some claim, it is genuinely the shroud in which Jesus was wrapped when taken down from the cross, how come the image on it is two-dimensional, not three-dimensional. Surely the parts touching at the sides of the face and body would be marked, not just the front and back like a photograph?

It seems more likely to me that someone was experimenting with making an image using silver nitrate (which was known about then) and the result was taken up enthusiastically by a seller of "bits of the true cross" and similar relics.

aggie Fri 19-Jun-15 13:07:59

they must have had some talent to produce the image

Elegran Fri 19-Jun-15 13:19:26

If it was with silver nitrate it would work like a photographic image - you paint it on in the dark then expose it to the view you want to picture. Not easy to use, but my money is on Leonardo Da Vinci - right era, right enquiring mindset and interest in the latest scientific knowledge, right artistic ability. I don't think he mentioned it in his notebooks though - anyone finding a reference to that would have gone public with it by now.

FlicketyB Fri 19-Jun-15 19:35:28

As far as I know it has been proved quite conclusively and scientifically that the Turin shroud is a medieval/post medieval fake. I write as a catholic before someone tells me 'but catholics believe it is the true shroud'. No, most of us don't.

loopylou Fri 19-Jun-15 19:43:47

I've read several books about the Shroud, it's a fascinating mystery. The only definitive scientific agreement is that it's mediaeval not c2000 years old.

Elegran Fri 19-Jun-15 19:43:49

There was a TV programme some time ago. They tested the fabric, and that was made in medieval times. There is still no definitive answer to how the image was put on. There doesn't seem to be any trace of pigment.

loopylou Fri 19-Jun-15 19:51:49

I hope that it remains a mystery personally smile

Soutra Fri 19-Jun-15 20:07:33

It is such a moving image I would like to very it to be genuine, but the evid nice to the contrary is overwhelming.
But even as a medieval artefact it is quite amazing.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Jun-15 20:10:22

Like Fllickety I thought it was well established as being a fake.

janerowena Fri 19-Jun-15 20:20:03

Yes, sadly. I wish they hadn't investigated it so thoroughly, too. It was a few years ago now. However, someone else is now trying to claim that the scientific evidence was wrong, that the shroud was indeed from the time of Christ, and has reopened the debate.

Soutra Fri 19-Jun-15 20:21:42

"I would very much like it" etc
Do these bl**dy iPads have a mind of their own?

Ariadne Fri 19-Jun-15 20:58:39

Yep!