Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Genetic editing

(4 Posts)
thatbags Wed 23-Dec-15 07:35:33

Genetic editing and the tyranny of opinion by Russell Blackford, sub-titled: Do we need a broad consensus in society before rolling out vital new therapies?

hildajenniJ Wed 23-Dec-15 15:43:02

I don't know. What I do know is that two of my DGSs have a genetic condition, namely x-linked ichthyosis which is a very dry, scaly skin condition. I wonder if advancements in gene therapy would help them, and if they would want to take advantage of this. They can't pass it on though as it is carried by the mother and passed to the son.

thatbags Wed 23-Dec-15 17:00:26

I guess they might want to take advantage of gene editing if it made their lives more comfortable. I think there's a lot more experimentation and testing to do before there is much treatment available.

Anya Wed 23-Dec-15 22:57:03

I'm not sure that social acceptance or not, of anything, is easily assessed. The author uses the example of abortion, but is it not the case that those few who do disagree strongly make the most noise?

Trouble is, people have such an incomplete understanding of the science involved and the media don't help with emotive stories about, for example, babies being born to 'three' parents when only mitochondrial material was being used to replace the mother's faulty mitochondria.