Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

'Elimination' predicted for ash trees

(148 Posts)
thatbags Wed 23-Mar-16 07:25:22

I'm going to say something that I'm guessing most people will find a bit shocking. This BBC report says it's likely ash trees will be eliminated from Europe because of the fungal "ash dieback" disease and a so-called 'invasive' ash borer beetle.

My repsonse is, firstly, So What? Most species go extinct sooner or later? Why do we make such a big deal out of it when 99% of all species that have ever existed are extinct already? It's How Life Works.

Secondly, I'm tired of the word 'invasive'. ALL species were invasive once upon a time, until they found their niche in whatever new environment they found themselves in. Again, it's how life works. Haven't we understood that yet?

How life works: adapt or die. Simple. Suck it up.

TriciaF Sun 27-Mar-16 09:13:22

ps forgot to say that the ban has been lifted temporarily for manure, because farmers were having problems disposing of it. Some were selling it at the roadside.

TriciaF Sun 27-Mar-16 09:10:06

Thatbags' post of 25 Mar 22.15, (shitting in the woods), and granjura's of 26 Mar 10.12 (use of animal manure) -
An interesting example of the interaction between human, beasts and plants. Where we are there's no mains drainage, so farmers used to use the contents of their septic tanks to spray on their fields. Also they used pig slurry and cow manure to fertilise their land. Then the maize and wheat would grow and they could feed humans and animals animals with it.
But now both uses have been banned, because the water that drains off it is too high in nitrates, so affects the drinking water in rivers and lakes.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 27-Mar-16 02:05:31

That dyslexic weeble mite gets everywhere! tbugrin

pompa Sun 27-Mar-16 00:25:59

WMKF, the wimber tree is common in many parts of Britain, especially those afflicted with the dyslexic weeble mite.

Jalima Sat 26-Mar-16 18:11:20

They survive being stamped on anyway

Jalima Sat 26-Mar-16 18:10:55

Yes, of course, they survived nuclear attacks and grew bigger didn't they.

Lona Sat 26-Mar-16 18:07:52

I thought cockroaches were the species that would survive anything?

Jalima Sat 26-Mar-16 18:07:30

My money's on ants, they are taking over my garden.

That could be a new name for the house if the ash tree has to go:
'The Anthill'
might put off prospective buyers though.

fiorentina51 Sat 26-Mar-16 18:00:15

The oak Tree is under threat from Sudden Oak Death or SOD for short. (I know!) It's caused by a fungus called Phytophthora ramorum. The Sweet Chestnut and horse chestnut are also threatened.........Oh dear, very depressing. sad

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 26-Mar-16 17:59:17

Elegran yes, looking at the photos, you're right about being able to tell the difference (not heard of the wimber tree though pompa). wink

Ana Sat 26-Mar-16 17:54:01

My money's on woodlice, although of course I won't be around to collect my winnings...grin

thatbags Sat 26-Mar-16 17:51:32

No way of knowing, really, jalima, though fun to speculate.

Anya Sat 26-Mar-16 17:34:44

grin

durhamjen Sat 26-Mar-16 17:34:03

Have to wander round with my favourite witch , Anya, so I do not make a mistake.

Jalima Sat 26-Mar-16 17:33:08

I think only the female ash has keys, ours never has any but next door's was laden.

So, I wonder which species is likely to be the survivors when the rest of us is extinct?
Some form of insect no doubt.

Anya Sat 26-Mar-16 17:31:22

Easy to identify ash in winter as it had black buds. Often confused with Rowan (Mountain Ash) in summer but Rowen bears berries and keeps witches away and the ash has keys but single ones.

thatbags Sat 26-Mar-16 17:28:14

My feeling for other life on the planet isn't objective either, nor would I want it to be. But I do still "seek to achieve a completely objective relationship to reality in the natural world", as I said, which is not quite the same thing.

One can't be scientific without an objective relationship to reality, I think. Dreaming and being emotional is all very well in certain circumstances. I'm not knocking it where it's appropriate, but reality is reality is reality whatever one's feelings about anything, so while one can feel sadness at the loss of a tree species, or whatever, one can also, at the same time, know that extinctions happen whether we like it or not, and indeed happened in extremely large doses before we even existed, and one can give a shrug because of that.

durhamjen Sat 26-Mar-16 15:47:44

There's a book called Why Willows Weep. and it contains lots of stories to do with the different characteristics of trees.
The ash is said to have black buds because they watched people reading and writing while sitting under the trees and the ash tree wanted to be not just the paper but the words. They curled their branches into fingers so that they might hold the pen and they dreamed it so vividly that the tips of their fingers turned black to write against the white page of the sky.

pompa Sat 26-Mar-16 14:52:46

You beat me to it Elegran. The wimber is also very different, Ash has alternate narrow/broad growth rings, light/dark when polished (snooker que, old garden spade handle) Sycamore is a white even grained wood, often used for kitchen tools.

Elegran Sat 26-Mar-16 14:47:24

wilma You probably would recognise them better than you think. Sycamore has leaves a bit like a Canadian maple leaf. Ash has multiple leaves arranged in pairs along twigs. The twigs curve upward and before the buds open, they look as though they have been dipped in soot or ashes.

durhamjen Sat 26-Mar-16 14:34:03

Because our nurseries were not growing them quickly enough, I think.
Because so much woodland and forest has disappeared over the centuries, hence problems of flooding, etc., the Woodland Trust wanted to replant lots of trees in a hurry.
Fortunately the Woodland Trust know which ones were imported and have removed them, but do not have enough native stock to make up for it.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 26-Mar-16 14:28:06

Thanks for the info. I do recognise the Ash now, but I think I was thinking about the Sycamore. Or more likely I was confusing them into one. I don't think I would recognise an Ash or a Sycamore if they didn't have seeds at the time. They do grow much larger than I thought though.

I wonder why we were importing native trees?

Jalima Sat 26-Mar-16 14:18:07

That's a better picture, thanks Elegran
Now that next door's female ash has been chopped down we won't get ash trees growing all over our garden.
Sycamore seeds whirl around like helicopters.

Elegran Sat 26-Mar-16 14:13:24

The ash keys (clue in name!) are like a bunch of single keys hanging together from the twig.

Sycamore seeds hang in pairs from the twig, head-to-head with the wings sticking out sideways.

durhamjen Sat 26-Mar-16 14:03:44

The sycamore also has keys that helicopter everywhere.