Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

'Elimination' predicted for ash trees

(147 Posts)
thatbags Wed 23-Mar-16 07:25:22

I'm going to say something that I'm guessing most people will find a bit shocking. This BBC report says it's likely ash trees will be eliminated from Europe because of the fungal "ash dieback" disease and a so-called 'invasive' ash borer beetle.

My repsonse is, firstly, So What? Most species go extinct sooner or later? Why do we make such a big deal out of it when 99% of all species that have ever existed are extinct already? It's How Life Works.

Secondly, I'm tired of the word 'invasive'. ALL species were invasive once upon a time, until they found their niche in whatever new environment they found themselves in. Again, it's how life works. Haven't we understood that yet?

How life works: adapt or die. Simple. Suck it up.

whitewave Wed 23-Mar-16 07:37:48

Wow!

whitewave Wed 23-Mar-16 07:39:01

Didnt you have a very good night bags?

MiniMouse Wed 23-Mar-16 07:46:31

Blimey! Tell it like it is bags grin

I wonder if the becoming extinct aspect worries people because if the potential fallout? What else might be lost because of it? Certain useful creatures that feed off it etc?

MiniMouse Wed 23-Mar-16 07:47:11

of not if blush

thatbags Wed 23-Mar-16 08:22:18

Yes, apparently about 1000 species (birds, mammals, invertebrates, fungi) are "associated with" ash trees. Of those, the article says, 100 are 'dependent' on the ash tree and likely to become extinct as well unless they adapt. Same again: that's how life works.

Most of the thousand are presumably associated with other trees too. If they have any sense of survival they will be wink

Presumably the ash borer beetle will become extinct too if it kills off its food supply. Daft bugger.

No, I didn't have a bad night and I'm perfectly cheerful; it's all the angst about such stuff that I find tiresome. It happens. It always has and it always will.

Meanwhile, ash, sycamore, and holly trees are weeds where I live (no sign of ash dieback here yet). I pull up dozens every year or we wouldn't be able to get out of the house before long.

Anniebach Wed 23-Mar-16 08:32:02

I love trees, I think it sad when we lose any tree and the Ash is beautiful

ffinnochio Wed 23-Mar-16 08:58:46

Don't mess with nature, it'll find it's way as it's always done. Well, that's my adage (mostly wink ).
My staircase is ash - love it every day.

NanaandGrampy Wed 23-Mar-16 09:00:09

I think the shame of it is that it will change the character of some native British forests . I agree with Anniebach it will be a shame and quite frankly at the rate things are dying off something we should be concerned about.

It might be the way things go but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

Anniebach Wed 23-Mar-16 09:02:28

Reminded of the song - The Ash Grove.

whitewave Wed 23-Mar-16 09:04:15

Yes you are right bags throughout history things have adapted in order to survive, but this happens over a long period of time. The trouble with issues like sudden die back or global warming species simply don't have sufficient time to adapt, that is why the scientists are concerned.

Anniebach Wed 23-Mar-16 09:42:27

We lost so many beautiful Elms didn't we. I bet if the oak was under threat there would be a different reaction.

Alima Wed 23-Mar-16 09:48:50

Why, what is different about oak trees Annibach?

Anniebach Wed 23-Mar-16 09:59:00

Your not a tree lover Alima, well not as obsessed as I am, smile , I do hug them too . The oak is so British, can't recall which cause uses it as it's symbol, it will come back to me

whitewave Wed 23-Mar-16 10:00:35

wink

Alima Wed 23-Mar-16 10:03:26

Aaah, British.grin

Anniebach Wed 23-Mar-16 10:04:11

Got it, the oak tree leaf is the symbol of the National Trust . Charles 2nd hid in an oak tree , there is the song Hearts of Oak have our Men . It is sooooo British

merlotgran Wed 23-Mar-16 10:05:54

I'd better make the most of our lovely Ash tree then sad

Anniebach Wed 23-Mar-16 10:08:34

And let's not forget the Acorn

Anniebach Wed 23-Mar-16 10:11:57

Damn, now I am looking at my tree books , think my Druid ancestors are at work

merlotgran Wed 23-Mar-16 10:12:55

Oak trees could be at risk from the disease Xylella which is ravaging olive groves in Europe.

Anniebach Wed 23-Mar-16 10:22:30

Oh no, we cannot lose trees, they are so important to us, the environment and for me also a childhood where climbing trees, playing Cowboys and Indians in the woods, chestnut , walnut and hazel nut picking was so important, , I will be in tears soon thinking of this beautiful world losing trees

rosesarered Wed 23-Mar-16 11:03:41

sunshine sunshine sunshine

rosesarered Wed 23-Mar-16 11:04:20

Most people wouldn't know an ash tree if it fell on them.

Synonymous Wed 23-Mar-16 11:06:54

We have spent some considerable time and money removing ash tree 'blow-ins' from our garden. They are most tenacious and I would be surprised if they succumb to anything much this century! hmm
In any case 'to all things there is a season .......'.
Appreciate all things while we have them. smile