Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

cryonics - why do you need to die first?

(33 Posts)
janetmaile Thu 12-Jan-17 15:59:31

I've been interested in cryonics (freezing your body after death) since the 1980s, but I'm in favour of choosing to have this done while you're still alive. If I got to a stage where I couldn't lead a meaningful life, it would make sense to have my body frozen and brought back when I could be cured of illness. Why do others think?

HootyMcOwlface Sun 15-Jan-17 20:17:57

With the state of the NHS, flaming Brexit and Donald Trump (to mention a few highlights) I'm pretty glad I am unlikely to be around for much longer and will be well out of it. I don't want anyone bringing me back thanks very much.

Ana Sun 15-Jan-17 20:42:05

Yes, me too...

Candelle Mon 16-Jan-17 13:05:33

HootyMcOwlface, brilliant!

I have read that the whole body is not frozen, just the head......... and stored upside down.

In the case mentioned I assumed the hoo ha who to give the poor young girl a smidgen of hope that she would indeed see her family again in the future but then all of them would have had to be frozen too, so I didn't really understand the logic. However, in that situation who could deny her?

Jalima Mon 16-Jan-17 14:35:48

I don't think I fancy that Candelle

'A sudden rush of anti-freeze to the head'

Now, I was going to write a book one day, apparently 'everyone has a book in them' - is that a good title?

goldengirl Mon 16-Jan-17 15:08:40

It would be interesting to learn what happens when someone is defrosted as it were. The generation who will be around when this happens will probably find it amazing - just like we do today when scientific events take place that previous generations wouldn't have believed could happen. Sadly I won't be around to find out and I'm certainly not going to be frozen. Can't see the point really but that's the current state of my thinks confused

Christinefrance Mon 16-Jan-17 17:18:00

I love the Diana Gabaldon books too Elegran. I have just started watching Outlander on Netflix. ( other channels available )

M0nica Mon 16-Jan-17 17:41:43

Having defrosted the body I want to know how they are going to get the brain working again. ECG?