Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

How do you get four rhinos on a plane?

(11 Posts)
Elegran Tue 04-Apr-17 20:58:43

I suspect that the reason it was regarded highly to start with was because it regrows (although slowly) so it was believed to have rejuvenating powers. Of course it was and is very expensive, which gives any substance a certain cachet. Once upon a time, pearls were dissolved in wine as medicine. After swallowing something that cost a vast amount, who would dare to say that they still felt awful?

Elegran Tue 04-Apr-17 20:54:55

You posted while I was still searching and copy/pasting, bags

thatbags Tue 04-Apr-17 20:49:20

x posts. You can ignore mine, stansgran grin

thatbags Tue 04-Apr-17 20:48:30

It's used in Chinese medicine, though I've no idea what for. Apparently owning some rhino horn is also a sign of wealth and status nowadays!

Elegran Tue 04-Apr-17 20:47:31

It must be a magic potio - it is supposed to do everything!

From a Vietnamese website -( www.wildact-vn.org/news/2014/4/29/the-effectiveness-of-rhino-horn-according-to-a-domestic-medicine-website )

"Mostly based on folklore and myth, it is widely believed that rhino horns have the ability to enhance libido, “rejuvenation”, reduce a fever, and even to cure cancer and diabetes!"

"According to traditional medicine practice, rhino horn tastes bitter, salty and cold in nature. It affects the heart, liver and stomach channels and can be used to clear heat and heart-burn, remove toxins, and relieve feverish rashes. Also, it treats associated symptoms such as loss of consciousness, delirium, bleeding, high fever and convulsion. However, it is not recommended for use by pregnant women."

" . . . rhino horns can strengthen heart muscle, reduce then increase white blood cell count significantly, decrease hypothermia, be used as a sedative to viscera, treat feverish cold and convulsion, cure congestion, epistaxis, jaundice, ulcers , encephalitis B, summer fever in children, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), and neurological schizophrenia."

"Rhino horns are used in roughly 70 traditional Chinese medicines (TCM) to treat inflammation of heat, high fevers, convulsions & delirium, hysteria, as well as to increase potency."

BUT (from www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229664-500-rhino-horn-isnt-a-hangover-cure-or-a-cancer-treatment/)

Given that rhinos are endangered, is rhino horn still used today?
"In China, Taiwan and South Korea it has been completely banned from use in medicine since about 1993. Also in China it is only permitted for use in research to identify substitutes, and is no longer listed in medical reference books. But in Vietnam – a huge market for illegal rhino horn – it is being used as a hangover cure by the nouveau riche. It is also being promoted to treat cancer. There is no scientific basis for such claims."

Has there been scientific research into the effectiveness of rhino horn in medicine?
"In one human study, researchers in Taiwan found that rhino horn temporarily reduced fever in children, but it was no more effective than aspirin. Animal studies done in the UK and South Africa found no pharmacological effects of rhino horn – or any other animal horns."

Stansgran Tue 04-Apr-17 20:28:19

What is it supposed to do?

Elegran Tue 04-Apr-17 16:27:21

Perhaps they could market it as being particularly pure or strong or something, but I fear there will always be those who want only the real thing.

thatbags Tue 04-Apr-17 15:47:50

Perhaps the ability to manufacture DNA-equivalent rhino horn will be what eventually scotches the notion about its preciousness. I hope so, and that it or something else won't take too long to change attitudes.

Elegran Tue 04-Apr-17 12:52:13

It is very expensive, and it can only protect a few, but it is something.

What is needed is for rhino horn to no longer be considered a desirable ingredient for certain traditional oriental medicines. Several biotechnology firms have developed undetectably fake rhino horns as an anti-poaching measure, (it has the same DNA footprint) but wildlife experts aren't thrilled about the innovation. It does nothing to scotch the myth, diverts attention from the real problem - and how can consumers and law enforcement officials distinguish between legal synthetic horn that looks real, and illegal real horn?

3-D printed fake rhino horns

thatbags Tue 04-Apr-17 12:40:06

Some good news. I hope it's effective in protecting them from poaching.

Elegran Tue 04-Apr-17 11:09:54

Two in the front seats, two in the back?
Translocating the rhinos in danger from poachers.