Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

50,000 trees gone!

(8 Posts)
Teetime Sat 03-Mar-18 09:32:29

I read in todays Telegraph that in the last 5 years London councils have taken down 50,000 trees!

Baggs Sat 03-Mar-18 09:42:16

Apparently it's happening in Sheffield too. Old trees do sometimes have to be removed, especially near roads. Here they just fall over and cause traffic problems.

Sheffield Council, as I understand it (my understanding is limited!), is planting young trees to compensate for the ones being removed. It is being said that the new ones are being planted in the wrong places, i.e. (again, as I understand it) not on the streets where the old ones were.

I think part of the reason for tree removal in cities is that councils can't afford, or claim they can't afford, to deal with all the problems old street trees are causing: blocked drains, broken kerbs and dangerously root-lifted pavements, etc.

vampirequeen Sat 03-Mar-18 11:30:59

It's not just councils that cut down trees. My yard backs onto a piece of wild land owned by my landlord with some beautiful trees on it. We live in a conservation area so trees are protected either individually or due to size (they have to be 3 inch in diameter at 5feet). Several times I have had to challenge people who have come to cut down the trees because they don't like the way the leaves fall off in autumn. For heavens sake they're trees!!!!! They lose their leaves in autumn. It's their nature. A lot of the leaves come into my yard because of the position of the trees and the way the wind blows. Yes it's a bit of extra work for a few weeks but not the end of the world. The trees are home for a myriad of creatures. Not just the obvious birds and squirrels but also the mini beasts that rely on the trees for their whole world. A year or so ago I saw a programme that said up to 1million creatures could live on a great oak.

Teetime Sat 03-Mar-18 12:18:53

I am a trustee of a charity that owns several parks and open grounds and nearby residents are always asking up to cut down trees as they have too many leaves to pick up. We have a regular tree survey (costs a fortune) and manage the trees accordingly. We have just planted quite a few more but maintenance of the trees is a priority for us.

tanith Sat 03-Mar-18 12:25:31

Our council have been planting lots of young trees in our area and maintaining our park trees.

fiorentina51 Sat 03-Mar-18 12:27:22

I understand that one reason for tree felling in Sheffield is that, due to the age and size of the trees, their roots are breaking up the pavements. Anyone having a nasty fall might be inclined to take legal action. Also there have been complaints from some local residents, concerned about roots damaging sewers and foundations.
By the way, I'm not a supporter of chopping down trees just pointing out what I've read!

vampirequeen Sat 03-Mar-18 16:43:35

I've read that about Sheffield too. If that's the case then it can't be helped and at least they're replanting. There was a problem in Hull some years ago that cost £millions to sort out because they undermined the foundations of the houses and all had to be shored up then concrete pumped in.

fiorentina51 Sat 03-Mar-18 19:52:16

I think that many were trees planted over 100 years ago and it was not well thought out as to the possible drawbacks once they became mature.
When we first moved into our home 45 years ago, I planted 3 conifers each about 1ft. tall. I never considered how big they would become. All were felled some years ago and they were enormous!