Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Electric cars

(60 Posts)
mumofmadboys Mon 17-Dec-18 22:28:00

I wondered whether anyone had an electric car and how they were getting on with it. I haven't got one but I am interested.

Tricoteuse Fri 09-Jun-23 10:37:21

The latest issue I have read about is the weight of EVs. As they are much heavier than conventional cars there is concern as to just how many can be parked in multi storey carparks without causing serious structural damage.

annodomini Fri 09-Jun-23 10:37:45

The danger of joining in an old thread is that you are in danger of repeating yourself. And I have.

karmalady Fri 09-Jun-23 10:41:08

there will soon be a limit on the number of electric cars being allowed to park on the above- ground tiers of multi storey car parks which were were built for normal weight cars. EVs are extremely heavy and could cause collapse the car parks

www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/rise-in-evs-could-have-implications-for-car-park-structures-04-04-2023/

Katie59 Fri 09-Jun-23 10:43:13

Tricoteuse

The latest issue I have read about is the weight of EVs. As they are much heavier than conventional cars there is concern as to just how many can be parked in multi storey carparks without causing serious structural damage.

They probably are heavier than the equivalent diesel car but not much, motors are light and although batteries are heavy you don’t have engine, gearbox or fuel tank.

karmalady Fri 09-Jun-23 10:59:38

gearbox and no fuel tank is not equivalent to the very dense and extremely heavy batteries. A tesla battery weighs approximately a ton and a nissan leaf battery half a ton

blog.evbox.com/uk-en/ev-battery-weight

The institute of civil engineers is to be relied on for facts

karmalady Fri 09-Jun-23 11:05:26

As a scientist I was just pondering the terrible and destructive effects on a person or other vehicle collision with an ev. Force depends on momentum and speed

force= mass x (velocity/time)

Katie59 Fri 09-Jun-23 12:12:29

That is quite simply not true a Tesla Model 3 battery weighs 530kg a Model X 600kg

The weight of the largest Tesla Model X is 2400kg, the same as an Audi Q7 Diesel, a Range Rover is a lot heavier than either.
The fact is that ALL cars are getting heavier, buyers want ever more comfort, space, features and safety. We have a classic MG Midget that we take out on sunny days, just to remind us of the “good old days” probably weighs about 700kg

I’m sure engineers need to take that into account but it is not just EVs that contribute.

Mamie Fri 09-Jun-23 12:56:37

The conventional Peugeot 2008 weighs 1247kg. Our e2008 weighs 1627kg.
Hardly going to demolish car parks is it?
This is a zombie thread but obviously the same old rubbish is still being churned out.
Does anyone ever pause to wonder what powerful lobby might have a vested interest in horror stories about electric cars?

argymargy Sat 10-Jun-23 06:52:38

It’s amazing what nonsense people will write/believe in order to support their prejudices against EVs.