Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Electric cars

(59 Posts)
mumofmadboys Tue 18-Dec-18 09:52:12

I thought the hybrid cars still need charging from an electric socket ? Presumably if you drive a distance using electricity and you run out of charge you switch to running on petrol. Are all electric cars hybrid?

Elegran Tue 18-Dec-18 09:28:26

My daughter has a hybrid electric/petrol car. On her three-quarter hour motorway drive to work the petrol engine is also charging up the battery, which is then ready to use when she is driving stop-start around town (or if the petrol is low). It has proved ecomonical to run and she is very pleased with it.

MawBroon Tue 18-Dec-18 09:03:10

SIL has a TESLA which seems very swish - and that is the only noise it makes when he is driving it!
A warning though, he charges his on the drive overnight which is fine, but one of their friends whose charging point is in their garage had a house fire recently when the charging point apparently burst into flames.

Anja Tue 18-Dec-18 08:56:41

The BiL has a hydrid petro and electric. It doesn’t need a charging station.

EllanVannin Tue 18-Dec-18 08:28:11

I wonder how many will be caught out in the middle of nowhere ? I wouldn't trust them.

Auntieflo Tue 18-Dec-18 08:20:50

Our neighbours have a PHEV, (Petrol Hybrid Electric Vehicle). and love it. They had a charging point installed on an outside wall, but I don't know how far they go in it, or how many charging points there are locally.

mumofmadboys Tue 18-Dec-18 08:13:12

Bumped!

Luckygirl Mon 17-Dec-18 22:35:56

I don't have one, but have noticed the number of charging points in car parks is mushrooming.

mumofmadboys Mon 17-Dec-18 22:28:00

I wondered whether anyone had an electric car and how they were getting on with it. I haven't got one but I am interested.