Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

An opportunity to cut back on plastic

(49 Posts)
M0nica Thu 07-Nov-19 16:00:32

I have been into 2 different branches of Sainsbury's this week and both were selling reusable net vegetable bags for 30p each. You couldn't make them more cheaply.

I have stocked up with half a dozen and today when I did my weekly shop, consciously made the effort to only buy unpackaged fruit and vegetables and use my new bags. Brought them home, one bag went into the fridge with its contents, because as the net was porous I did not have to empty the bag int a small basket as I usually need to do to stop the veg going slimy. The rest were emptied out and put back in my shopping bag again ready for next week,

I will probably also use them when my local Waitrose opens up its 'serve yourself' section. Not suitable for flour but ideal for pasta, rice, dried fruit, nuts etc. I might even need to buy some more.

Desdemona Sat 09-Nov-19 18:10:22

Sorry, just saw that HannahLoisLuke had already posted this!

Desdemona Sat 09-Nov-19 18:09:19

Those new veg bags from Sainsburys are also great for washing delicate items in the laundry I find. smile

SueDonim Sat 09-Nov-19 18:02:13

Monica you'd need to check the labels yourself to find out that. Many of the shampoo bars are made by small companies so Google 'shampoo bar' or 'solid shampoo', then go to their websites and read up.

LJP1 Sat 09-Nov-19 17:58:14

Plastic can already be made from plants and then be composted.

See: youtu.be/mETzoNau5A8 (Miscanthus degradable packaging)

or youtu.be/Dg44IQl2nyw (Miscanthus grown in Britain)

and youtu.be/zlFXd9mGrOs (Carlsberg paper beer bottles)

chicken Sat 09-Nov-19 17:35:42

The "compostable" sleeves used for posting various magazines won't break down in a normal household compost bin because the temperature is too low. A commercial composting heap heats up tremendously and disposes of them, but the sleeves will still be in their original form when you tip out your garden compost for use.

Liz46 Sat 09-Nov-19 17:25:52

@olliebeak, I remember doing this. We all used to take our newspapers to the greengrocers and the assistant would line our basket before the potatoes went in.

BlueBelle Sat 09-Nov-19 17:17:19

Asda has reusable bags for £1 but all the fruit and veg items are still wrapped in plastic and you can’t remove the plastic as it has the barcode on it so pointless really

olliebeak Sat 09-Nov-19 17:09:33

Many years ago - back in the 1950's - I used to go shopping with my grandmother. She always used a proper shopping bag for her veg. Potatoes were always bought first - and went straight into the bottom of the bag - onions followed, then carrots and topped off with whatever 'leafy veg' she was buying that particular week (cauli/cabbage) and things like peas in their shells. When she bought fruit, those would go into paper bags. It was as simple as that - heaviest/bulkiest items at the bottom with the most delicate stuff on the top!

M0nica Sat 09-Nov-19 17:04:45

Are the solid bar shampoos/conditioners organic and free of parabens, I have a number of skin allergies and sensitivities so steer clear of all high street brands.

SueDonim Sat 09-Nov-19 16:08:39

Shysal, Waitrose, Sainsbury's and Boots all sell solid shampoos. Our local chemist stocks them, as well.

Davida1968 Sat 09-Nov-19 15:16:46

Calistemon, I'm now using the "bar" shampoo" (and "bar" conditioner) from "Friendly" soaps. (Buy online.) I'm also using their ordinary bar soap and have bought their products as gifts for other people as well. The bars are reasonably priced (notably cheaper than Lush's soap - and less highly-fragranced) and each is packed in a small cardboard carton (recyclable). You can buy a handy tin, which just takes a bar, for storage/travel. Recommended!

KnittyNannie Sat 09-Nov-19 13:38:53

When I shop, I don’t use plastic bags unless absolutely necessary. Onions, carrots, bananas, etc all go into my trolley loose. I like shopping in Aldi, but have a real problem with the way practically all their fruit and veg is plastic wrapped.

choughdancer Sat 09-Nov-19 12:19:48

Just wondering if anyone has used the ubiquitous nets that fruit and vegetables are packed in to make something? I suppose I could sew some together to make a bag similar to the reusable Sainsbury ones. I've never thrown them away as I have vivid pictures of birds/animals/fish getting caught in them.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 09-Nov-19 12:17:13

Actually, I am not certain the recycling plastic is the answer, as the process uses quite a lot of natural resources, which makes it very difficult to know what is best.

Certainly, vegetables shouldn't be sold in plastic bags, which are neither good for the contents nor the environment.

Liz46 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:58:00

Thanks again. I also have ordered some eco bags from Amazon. I won't tell my daughter where I bought them as she wouldn't approve!

JackyB Sat 09-Nov-19 11:55:38

I have loads of old net curtains that I could make into these bags. Not sure if the shops would accept them, though.

Biodegradable bags are not allowed in the food waste here, as they don't biodegrade properly. Or something. We are exempt because we opted for the self-composting option. We now have four composters in the garden - huge black boxes.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 09-Nov-19 11:47:20

Everybody has already made the points I was going to mention, but here's another use for those reusable mesh bags, as wash bags for containing small delicate items in the washing machine. Two jobs in one. Delicates washed, bag washed.
I don't use mine for fruit and veg, they go steaight into the trolley and then into my shopping bag, but I am only shopping for one. They're great for bread rolls though.
Charity shop net curtains make lots of bags as already mentioned.

shysal Sat 09-Nov-19 11:02:24

Callistemon, I haven't seen shampoo bars in the shops, but read on GN that the Lush ones are good. I buy mine on Ebay and can recommend these pictured, which can come in a cardboard box, or a tin for travelling. They have a lovely creamy lather and I find that they last much longer than a bottle of shampoo.

Callistemon Sat 09-Nov-19 10:33:59

I was in Waitrose yesterday and complained to DH that I couldn't find any reusable veg bags to buy, then I noticed that all their small veg bags are the compostible type and suitable for re-using in a food waste bin.
Well done, Waitrose.

I still haven't found bar shampoo.

jura2 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:28:26

A great idea. At our French supermarket, I don't mind using the compostable bags for veg, as I tie them loosely so I can re-use them for the cat food bin. Nothing here goes to landfill, so it's OK.

Been re-assessing every day processes for house this year. Gone back to powder for washing machine- from cardboard box. Lucky too that we can buy concentrated refill pouches for conditioner and bleach- so have had the same bottle for conditioner for years.

Refills too for shower and hand soap- so refill same containers again and again. And switched to hard soap shampoo, sold in paperwrap. Still use conditioner in plastic tube as not found a good alternative yet- but I use little. And again, it does not go to landfill. 'hard' shampoo alone would save millions and millions of bottles and lids.

Liz46 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:19:43

It would be good if supermarkets started selling potatoes and carrots in this type of bag. They would last longer then.

Liz46 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:18:43

Thank you Monica. I will get some for both me and my daughter. She is fervently against the use of plastic in anything, including toothbrushes etc. I have bought her some cotton handkerchiefs for Christmas which I am going to wrap up in toilet paper (as a joke). She is in this Circular economy thingy (it's new but it is basically what we were doing 60 years ago).

Theoddbird Sat 09-Nov-19 10:16:11

I have never used the plastic bags for veg. I am the person who's veg runs all over the place at the till. I do have a load of net bags now that I bought on Amazon. Problem is I can't remember where I put them....sighs

Riggie Sat 09-Nov-19 10:13:40

Actually if you are buying a lot of them and can sew then use an old net curtain (charity shops) - some to keep and some to give away at xmas.

And if you buy unwrapped bread then take a pillowcase to pop that into.

Scottiebear Sat 09-Nov-19 10:11:01

Things are improving gradually. I picked up couple of brochures in Asda yesterday and they were sealed in a compostable bag. Last year I emailed them complaining that their magazine and advertising brochure were unneccarily sealed together in a plastic bag. When you think of the amount of plastic bags over all the Asdas that one change has saved you realise that one small change can have quite a big impact.