Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

The real reason Australia is ablaze!

(148 Posts)
NannyC2 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:45:35

The Australian Fires are horrendous but did you know that the 'Green agenda' is exacerbating their wildfire problem?
You really need to watch the following ........

conservativewoman.co.uk/the-real-reason-australia-is-ablaze/

How often do we acknowledge tragedy while not being informed of an obvious explanation?

Namsnanny Sun 05-Jan-20 15:06:04

Nannyc2 ... I can't access the link, probably my incompetence, but thank you for posting it!

I've come to realise with some reluctance that some
information is always disseminated with bias!

So much harm is done by virtue signaling, it can be very depressing at times

ninathenana Sun 05-Jan-20 15:11:54

Link doesn't open.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:17:28

I managed to open the link.

I was already aware that the environmental lobby in Australia have been campaigning against controlled burning which in the past has proved useful in the control of bushfires.

B9exchange Sun 05-Jan-20 15:23:08

It does, you just have to give it 30 secs!

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 15:32:25

Oh blame the ‘green lobby’ ???

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:42:57

Not blaming the green lobby at all, but I think they should listen to the indigenous people who have passed down their knowledge of the land through the generations.

BlueBelle Sun 05-Jan-20 15:43:07

Wonderful to pass the buck as usually It ll be snowflakes fault next

Yehbutnobut Sun 05-Jan-20 15:53:21

I think that those who are seeking to open up a huge new coalfield in Australia bigger than the whole U.K. should be ashamed. Big business is the culprit not a small green lobby

craftyone Sun 05-Jan-20 16:00:10

yep. The aborigines knew what they were doing. Also got to blame the aussie stance on carbon emissions, 2nd biggest producer after china plus a massive coalfield to be worked, first of many and the size of the uk.

merlotgran Sun 05-Jan-20 16:00:13

DH has been saying this since the fires began. I couldn't open the link but I gather it's about objections to controlled burning which would give areas where fire cannot spread?

Controlled tree felling would have the same effect.

merlotgran Sun 05-Jan-20 16:01:59

If it's true then the green lobby have scored a massive own goal with regard to the destruction of wildlife and its habitat.

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 16:04:50

Yes, it is a big topic of discussion over there, mentioned on another thread on GN too.

love0c Sun 05-Jan-20 16:05:38

Nannyc2, yes I have heard this spoken about quite a lot. Controlled burning has been done for a very long time and works! To think that people have lost their lives and homes due to fires out of control is abhorrent. Whereas controlled burning taken place this may not have happened to the huge extent it has. Food for thought for climate change protesters who protest without actually knowing the full facts.

Yennifer Sun 05-Jan-20 16:14:46

Knowing a few Australians these fires can start many ways, from.someones cigarette butt to arson and yes mother nature. According to them its just being used politically as so many things seem to be these day while the right has its last hurrah x

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Jan-20 16:16:52

I am praying for rain as the fires are getting closer to a family members farm.

bingo12 Sun 05-Jan-20 16:17:10

Did you see the piece on one news channel showing how crows and other birds in Australia have learnt to spread fires by picking up burning twigs and lighting more fires to flush out small mammals etc. to eat?

love0c Sun 05-Jan-20 16:18:38

The Australian staying next door would disagree with you Yennifer.

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 16:21:07

bingo!mastonishing!
I must tell my family over there.

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 16:21:23

Astonishing

Fat finger.

Yennifer Sun 05-Jan-20 16:23:44

Of course they ould LoveOc everyone is arguing about it

merlotgran Sun 05-Jan-20 16:27:07

I managed to open the link by copying and pasting it into a search engine. Very interesting video.

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 16:27:36

knowing a few Australians
As many of us do - and they are as varied in the political opinions as anywhere else!

Yes, the fires can be started in so many ways and we can add another to them now. The crows.

The heritage building in NSW burnt down at the end of October was apparently lost to a fire started by a carelessly discarded cigarette butt.

A piece of glass, a spark from an engine, spark from a train, but many from lightening.
And some by arsonists.

The underbrush is tinder dry and fire fighters were forbidden to clear tracks into forests to enable them to access and put out small fires, which they had done for years previously.

Yennifer Sun 05-Jan-20 16:29:56

Yes of course, I'm not saying my Australians beat anyone else's lol just that I know a few and have chatted about it

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 16:39:15

I've lived with fire across the hill, am in daily contact and that was a topic of conversation - the laws against clearing the undergrowth, 'the fuel' and laws against backburning which prevents fires spreading plus the closure of tracks which firefighters kept clear to access forest fires.

And yes, I hear the Green views too, but the ones I know tend to live in cities.

Aboriginal people and Bushies live with the reality.