Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

What if a]everyone became vegan or b] human beings were wiped out by a pandemic....

(31 Posts)
Labaik Fri 13-Mar-20 21:40:38

What would the knock on effect of both scenarios be?

Eglantine21 Thu 26-Mar-20 15:41:42

I was digging my potato patch today and thinking about a) what if we all went vegan.

I was wondering what would happen to those people who live in parts of the world where plants cannot be grown and animal produce is their main diet, like the Inuit or the horse herds in Mongolia.

Would they have to relocate and to where? Or would they have to have vegan food shipped in?

Also how long it would take for their metabolism to adapt to a plant based diet? I was in the Inuit territory of Canada recently and many of them spoke about needing “country food” to feel really well.

I accept that it’s only academic speculation but I just wondered how it would work.

Callistemon Thu 26-Mar-20 19:31:38

Interesting question, Eglantine
I wonder if some of people's ills, allergies etc, are caused by eating food which we have not evolved to eat in our own parts of the world?

Callistemon Thu 26-Mar-20 19:33:10

Was the Knepp Estate on the tv a little while ago - perhaps it was Countryfile?

Davidhs Thu 26-Mar-20 21:07:42

They have pandemics in the animal world, there are always survivors, some of you may be familiar with myxomatosis
in rabbits 99% died, recently haemoratic disease, again only 1% survived, and we still have them. They breed up faster but we are smarter and fight back, so there might be great losses but there is no chance of extermination due to pandemic. Environmental disaster is another matter, look what happened to the Dinosaurs.

If we became Vegans, most choose to be vegans because of emotional reasons, the world is not ruled by emotions it is ruled by manipulation of the weakest by the strongest and I would back the carnivores against the vegans any day. Thats the way it it is carnivores are predators, vegetarians are prey.

BradfordLass73 Thu 26-Mar-20 22:09:28

I would be more than happy to be included in a pandemic that wiped out humanity.

We have consistently and without care over generations, raped, plundered and spoiled our beautiful world and continue to so so, mainly for money.
Extinction is what we deserve.

The carnivores would eat us, rats would have a field day, flies would do the rest.

Back to a better world for the flora and fauna left behind.