Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Time to ban gun sports

(80 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Sep-20 10:53:34

A young golden eagle was fitted with a tracker and release this year.

He disappeared and his tracker was subsequently found wrapped in lead in a grouse moorland stream.

There has been footage of harriers being trapped and killed on television. Burning the moor every year releases tons of carbon into the atmosphere along with destroying habitat and untold species of reptiles, insects birds etc.

This simply cannot continue just for the pleasure of shooting a gun at some hapless bird.

It is disgusting and should be stopped.

Alegrias Tue 29-Sep-20 15:26:08

Oh for goodness sake. I didn't want to be associated with your aggressive questioning of another poster and I said so. Now let's move on.

Furret Tue 29-Sep-20 14:56:03

I intend to. You are not the forum police and I recognise passive aggression when I read it. I’m way too canny for rise to your baiting.

?

Alegrias Tue 29-Sep-20 11:46:13

Yes, really. Your post from 22:30 last night was quite confrontational, at least in my view. You don't win people over by picking fights with them.

You can defend whether or not it was fair, but suggesting I might like to stay off the thread, and was burying my head in the heather, are just a little bit rude, don't you think?

Anyway, carry on.

Furret Tue 29-Sep-20 11:36:25

Really? I thought I was simply defending my post from your criticism of unfairness, but referring you to the OP.

Alegrias Tue 29-Sep-20 11:11:20

Jings. That escalated quickly.

Furret Tue 29-Sep-20 10:55:58

The OP was about shooting birds of prey on grouse moors. It is a valid question and if you don’t want people to have to defend that then by all means stay off the thread.

Disassociate yourself by all means. I’d prefer to call it burying your head in the heather.

Alegrias Tue 29-Sep-20 08:23:33

Furret

Missfoodlove so let’s hear your defence of the shooting of golden eagles, red kites and other protected birds of prey then?

Furret that's really unfair, I disagree with Missfoodlove but she hasn't advocated anything illegal.

I don't want to be associated with this kind of approach.

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 22:30:07

Missfoodlove so let’s hear your defence of the shooting of golden eagles, red kites and other protected birds of prey then?

Nana3 Mon 28-Sep-20 21:29:00

Missfoodlove
Brave post.
I do not go shooting and have never been to a shoot but know people who do.
My DH once went to a shoot as a beater but was unhappy about what he saw, birds approaching close to the gun and shot.

varian Mon 28-Sep-20 18:53:53

There is no way that "gun" and "sports" should ever appear in the same sentence. There is nothing sporting about a person with a gun in pursuit of an unarmed wild creature.

vegansrock Mon 28-Sep-20 18:42:26

Dog fighting is popular as well.

Alegrias Mon 28-Sep-20 16:52:45

Missfoodlove I'd like to give you my view on some of the things you have said here. I know we won't agree but I hope you will consider them.

Moor that has been neglected deliberately as an experiment soon became totally over grown and unable to support the many species that thrive on a managed moor.
Why can't we manage the moor and then not shoot the grouse? (I know, costs...but we could find a way)

To shoot these birds is very difficult, pheasants are sitting ducks, grouse are far harder to shoot.
Being hard doesn't make it more acceptable.

Grouse are truly wild, they are not bred and released like other game birds.
Then leave them alone to get on with being grouse.

Lovely to see a young lad of 13 last year with a dog he had trained himself out on the moor.
Children trained to kill things, that's nice.

Finally we are not all “ Toffs” just ordinary people with an age old hobby.
I my post upthread I specifically said that my FIL went shooting as it seems to be a well-used defence that "we're not all toffs". As for it being an age old hobby, bear baiting and cockfighting used to be acceptable, but we moved on.

Missfoodlove Mon 28-Sep-20 16:33:03

As someone who goes grouse shooting and is a member of the BASC I totally agree with “Blubber”
The moor management provides accessible paths for walkers, encourages wildlife and has helped protect many species.
Moor that has been neglected deliberately as an experiment soon became totally over grown and unable to support the many species that thrive on a managed moor.

Whilst shooting I have seen black grouse and hen harriers, the game keeper is so proud to have these birds on the moor, he was able to tell me how large the harriers territory was as he liaises with the RSPB who have fitted a tracker to one of the birds.

To shoot grouse all the “ guns” must be experienced otherwise they will shoot under instruction.
To shoot these birds is very difficult, pheasants are sitting ducks, grouse are far harder to shoot.
Grouse are truly wild, they are not bred and released like other game birds.

The moor we shoot on is extremely well managed and the owners will always rest the moor if they feel numbers are low.

The local economy benefits hugely from the shooting and it is a big part of life for the many locals who beat and pick up.
Lovely to see a young lad of 13 last year with a dog he had trained himself out on the moor.

Finally we are not all “ Toffs” just ordinary people with an age old hobby.

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 12:36:44

NoddingGanGan

How do you suppose the tracker became, "wrapped in lead"?
If a shooter or game keeper shot it what makes you think they'd be stupid enough to remove the tracker, wrap it in lead, (how do you even do that?) and leave it to be found?
The lead in cartridges is in the form of tiny pellets. Your post makes no sense and the story smacks of an anti shooting, "plant". And I say this as a disintetrested party.

I have no idea how or who wrapped it in lead, but lead is a very flexible and easily obtainable metal.

Why would anyone do that? A very simple answer. Lead would mean the signal from the tracker would be blocked. That’s one of the properties of lead - it’s why it’s used to line the cases that contain nuclear waste.

Sounds like a very deliberate act to me. Wonder how many more such tags are lying around the countryside, waterways and seas, wrapped in a toxic metal?

vegansrock Mon 28-Sep-20 11:56:16

I didn’t say people don’t eat the grouse, they do, but that’s not the point of the grouse shoot, if it was just about eating the things there would be a more efficient way of doing it and make more money. People do it as a sport, for a fun day out. Other wildlife which threaten the grouse , including predator birds, are killed by those who are paid to “protect” grouse so they survive to be shot at.

Alexa Mon 28-Sep-20 11:23:48

Grouse moors use a lot of recreational land that could be used for people who don't go out of their way to kill things.

merlotgran Mon 28-Sep-20 11:16:18

the farmers I know do not like RSPB.

They are probably not very good farmers then.

Nana3 Mon 28-Sep-20 10:25:51

In my area it's the farming community who go shooting, they live in a parallel universe to town folk. Nothing convinces them against their 'sport', it's ingrained in their way of life.
The Royals consider themselves country people I believe.
I am a RSPB member, the farmers I know do not like RSPB.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 09:58:53

blubber

Thank you Anniebach. Most of the other posts are from people who don't know anything about grouse moors or how they are managed.

You are making unfounded assumptions aren’t you.

Alegrias Mon 28-Sep-20 09:32:56

So, declaring my principles up front, I am a vegetarian and against blood sports.

However I can understand the need to cull deer and even eat grouse if that's what you want to do. What I personally object to is that these things are turned into sport. I know its not just the elite who do it, my FIL used to shoot birds on the grouse moors.

Its about time we stopped wanting pleasure from the killing of other species, even if we think we have to eat them.

MissAdventure Mon 28-Sep-20 09:26:53

The RSPB has concerns about "management" of the moors.

blubber Mon 28-Sep-20 09:22:08

Thank you Anniebach. Most of the other posts are from people who don't know anything about grouse moors or how they are managed.

Anniebach Sun 27-Sep-20 17:20:14

Wrong, there are grouse shoots where I live, orders are placed
before the shoots start .

vegansrock Sun 27-Sep-20 17:15:20

“a plant” by whom? It was probably one of those paid to “manage” the moor, no one said it would be the shooting party. People who go on grouse shoots don’t do it for food they do it for fun.

blubber Sun 27-Sep-20 16:41:52

I have read the thread. I'm not stupid. I said I deplore senseless killing! The killing of the bird wrapped in lead was a plant. Shooting parties do not carry lead sheet with them.