Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Scotland producing enough renewables to meet 90% of Scottish electricity demand

(29 Posts)
Elegran Fri 18-Dec-20 20:37:55

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51088089

M0nica Sun 31-Jan-21 20:57:15

NellG and even with the 14 mile wide wall of wind turbines, there would still be times when they could barely meet 10% of electricity demand.

I have Gridwatch ((//gridwatch.co.uk/)), on my Favourites list. It shows you how much electricity is being generated in the UK minute to minute and what its source is. It is quite educational to see how the contribution wind makes to our energy mix varies. One day it may be 40%, but this time of year when high pressure zones can stay stationary over the country for days or even a week or more. Those lovely clear skies and windless conditions lead to freezing temperatures and little or no wind energy at all.

M0nica Mon 01-Feb-21 14:08:27

Currently, today 14.00, wind accounts for barely 5% of the energy we are consuming. Gas is supplying nearly 60% and even some coal powered stations have been brought on stream and are now generating 5% of the energy we are using.

Ultimer Fri 16-Jul-21 12:52:41

We are not completely ready to depend on renewable sources yet: we are not able to control them enough - yet. This is still the lot of scientists, but simpler mortals are left with simpler things: to hold a clean-up day on the lake or to switch to separate waste collection. I am very motivated by MyImpactPower and their pro-ecological NFT platform. I am also motivated by the wounds on my planet.