Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Popular or favourite bird that visits your garden.

(61 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Fri 15-Jan-21 20:12:12

I stood at the door watching the birds on the feeders this morning. I'd filled the feeders up the day before.

I couldn't see the fat balls for all the long tailed tits. Maybe 7 at one time. They are such friendly, sociable birds. Our pet name for them are "lollypops" .

I wished I had my camera or phone handy for a photo.

What's your favourite garden visitor?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 19-Feb-21 10:58:18

I rarely see birds in my present garden (the last one was a real haven) but in winter I often see a robin. I haven't noticed it lately though.

Mollygo Fri 19-Feb-21 11:06:03

We have a few bird visitors, but my favourites are the pied wagtails. They are so lively and quite noisy. We do have a pair of robins which appear 2-3 times a week, especially if I put mealworms in the feeder.

Susiewong65 Fri 19-Feb-21 11:06:37

We have a little flock of sparrows who visit the garden everyday.
They know when I put food out and are always very vocal and excited when I appear, they do make me smile as they are like a group of squabbling siblings.

They also nest every year in the corners of our house so we get to see the chicks being introduced to the garden as well.

This has gone on for years so goodness knows how many generations have passed through.

Redhead56 Fri 19-Feb-21 11:10:30

I love all the birds don’t really have a favourite recently had a lone female blackcap. Her cap is pale red I don’t suppose it will be long before she has a mate. It’s an absolute joy watching them and when I can taking photos.

Ro60 Fri 19-Feb-21 11:24:55

My favourite is a jay that I don't see very often but so uplifting when I do.
There is a robin that comes to visit if I'm sitting outside & hangs around for quite a while. I find myself talking to him?

MayBee70 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:16:28

I’ve hardly ever seen a Jay: probably only 2or three times in my life even though I live close to a wooded country park and my house is surrounded by trees.

JaneJudge Mon 22-Mar-21 13:49:01

Well, well, well for the first time in my life I heard a lapwing today!! There were four birds swooping around in the field at the back but the calling sounded like it was coming from something electronic, I have never heard anything like it in my life smile I searched on rspb when I got home and they were lapwings. Isn't nature wonderful? smile

JaneJudge Mon 22-Mar-21 13:50:22

Also last week I had a pair of yellow hammers hanging around outside the kitchen. I have never seen them before. I do wonder if lockdown is bringing more birds out or maybe I am just noticing more.

grandmajet Mon 22-Mar-21 15:24:12

We have blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits, goldfinches , a robin, blackbirds, magpies, rooks, wood pigeons, collared doves, as regular visitors. We used to get woodpeckers and pheasants but a local development has pinched their habitat. A sparrow hawk also sometimes swoops through.
My favourite however, which we’ve only seen a few times, is a little goldcap - so tiny! It bathed in our little pond last year and looked almost like a humming bird. Magical.

Greyduster Mon 22-Mar-21 19:05:04

Spotted a pair of blackcaps in the lane this morning. Definitely a sign of spring. They were probably looking for a nesting site. They have a lovely song but they were just twittering away quietly to each other this morning.