Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

All hail the scientists! ????‍?

(40 Posts)
Alegrias1 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:19:49

One of the very few good things to come out of the pandemic is the realisation that scientists are going to be the people who get us out of this situation.

We've got Sarah Gilbert at the Uni of Oxford. Uğur Şahin and Özlem Türeci at BioNTech, and many others.

So this is a thread to celebrate scientists and their contributions. No politics please, no sexism, no conspiracy theories! (Hope springs eternal)

For inspiration, the photo attached is from a Physics conference in Brussels in 1911. Scientists from just about everywhere; France, Netherlands, America, Germany, UK, Poliand, New Zealand....but only one woman then. It was Madame Curie though!

Alegrias1 Wed 17-Feb-21 10:47:24

I agree with you so strongly about The Two Cultures suzie. The original lecture by C P Snow is still available on youtube, I think. In this country some people think nothing of proudly saying oh, I'm not very good at maths when faced with the simplest bit of arithmetic but nobody would dream of saying oh I'm not very good at this reading business smile

I've mentioned her on another thread but Jocelyn Bell Burnell is a scientist I admire. She built a radio telescope as part of her PhD work and went on to discover pulsars. She is a great advocate for women and girls in physics. In 2018 she won a scientific prize worth £2.3mn and donated it all to the Institute of Physics to support "women, under-represented ethnic minority and refugee students to become physics researchers".

I met her once. I was a bit star-struck!

janeainsworth Wed 17-Feb-21 09:02:43

Another under-recognised scientist is Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin who won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry. She worked in almost makeshift conditions in her lab in Oxford and had to fight for every penny to fund her research.

From Wikipedia: “Among her most influential discoveries are the confirmation of the structure of penicillin as previously surmised by Edward Abraham and Ernst Boris Chain; and the structure of vitamin B12, for which in 1964 she became the third woman to win the Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Hodgkin also elucidated the structure of insulin in 1969 after 35 years of work.”

suziewoozie Wed 17-Feb-21 08:54:23

25Avalon

The ideas for inoculation go back thousands of years to China, Asia and Africa. Lady Montague got the idea from Turkey. The British Museum have a very interesting article on the subject. Jenner perfected vaccination and Smallpox was finally eradicated worldwide in 1979.

You bring in a really interesting point here - as well as the contribution of women scientists being downplayed over the years, it’s true that the scientific contribution of non -Western societies has been downplayed/ignored. And as you say, we’re talking hundreds and even thousands of years in some instances.

25Avalon Wed 17-Feb-21 08:50:03

The ideas for inoculation go back thousands of years to China, Asia and Africa. Lady Montague got the idea from Turkey. The British Museum have a very interesting article on the subject. Jenner perfected vaccination and Smallpox was finally eradicated worldwide in 1979.

suziewoozie Wed 17-Feb-21 08:36:33

Beverley I hadn’t heard of her and found it really interesting reading up about her. I hadn’t realised that the ideas around inoculating against smallpox went back so far - Jenner rather benefitted from others didn’t he? At least she inoculated her own child, Jenner just used his gardener’s son for practice?. There’s a lot of women who have had their thunder stolen or been generally cheated of or downplayed in scientific achievements. Ada Lovelace for example ( she’s in the children’s book I mentioned) and probably in more recent times the most egregious example was Rosalind Franklin. There’s been a definite improvement as far as that is concerned.

BeverleyJB Wed 17-Feb-21 08:20:18

NellG

All hail Max Theiler, the first scientist to develop a vaccine that was effective against a virus, in this case Yellow Fever back in the 1930s. A South African man, post grad educated in London, then working through Harvard who finally won a Nobel prize for his work. He laid the foundations which allowed the present day vaccines to be developed so quickly.

Maybe not quite the first Nell. Lady Mary Wortley Montague had her son vaccinated against small pox in 1718, with the men in the medical establishment of the day objecting, or course!
Everyone's heard of Jenner et al, but the achievements of women in history seems to get wiped out. Plus ça change ?

suziewoozie Wed 17-Feb-21 08:15:48

Riverwalk

Is that Einstein second from the right?

Yes it is - this photo is from the first Solvay Conference. I first saw the photo when I stayed in Brussels at the hotel where the conference was held. I was utterly blown away by the talent gathered together - I kept thinking Einstein and Curie together in the same room - wow.

I hope this thread stays as a celebration of the role of scientists who are so often the unsung heroes. We tend as a society to place higher value on the arts ( in the widest sense of the word). This issue was highlighted by C P Snow in the late 50s / early 60s as The Two Cultures which stated that compared with some other societies, the UK valued knowledge of and education in the arts far more highly than of and in science.

I think it’s still broadly true and we’d all be better for at least a basic understanding of what might be called the scientific method and of research/ statistics etc. I’ve posted before on the poor standard of science reporting and journalism in main stream media in this country. It’s a bit of a vicious circle - if we were better educated ( in the widest sense) scientifically, we’d appreciate our scientists more and if we appreciated them more, we’d probably be better educated in theses issues.

Meanwhile, lovely idea for a thread

granfromafar Wed 17-Feb-21 08:09:27

Yes, River walk, it is the great Albert Einstein in the first photo. I was born on the day he died!
I and OH both worked for large pharmaceutical companies in research and feel proud of all the achievements, particularly the current vaccine situation. Long live scientists!

Riverwalk Wed 17-Feb-21 07:36:27

Is that Einstein second from the right?

vegansrock Wed 17-Feb-21 06:32:11

If you choose to ignore negative comment, then I’m guessing you also choose to ignore the realities of man made climate change, species destruction and degradation of oceans with plastics, weapons of mass destruction and other consequences of human greed. I’m not against giving due praise and I am thrilled that international cooperation has led to so many medical advances, but perhaps we should also hope that many negative “advances” are banned .

nadateturbe Wed 17-Feb-21 06:12:00

I too took them for granted until recently and never thought about how they beaver away quietly to improve our lives. We have so much to thank them for.

Kim19 Wed 17-Feb-21 05:15:13

Yes I'm another who somewhat took scientists for granted. I've a concept of them beavering away in laboratories and just tweaking away at stuff rather than the bit of spectacular work they've achieved recently with Covid. I certainly hope they're all revelling in this current eureka moment they're experiencing. Admirable and wonderful. They have my relief and gratitude and I choose to ignore negative comment at the moment.

vegansrock Wed 17-Feb-21 04:39:06

I’m all for praising scientists and international cooperation , however scientists have also brought us - weapons including nuclear weapons and plastics that not biodegradable and other things that we could argue have not enhanced the planet, indeed led to death and destruction. Not ALL discoveries have been put to good use I’m afraid .

honeyrose Tue 16-Feb-21 18:42:03

Where would we be without scientists?! Huge respect to them all. Can’t thank and praise them enough.

Millie22 Tue 16-Feb-21 18:37:42

Marie Curie was a truly remarkable woman. It would be so good if more girls showed an interest in science. Here's hoping.

NotTooOld Tue 16-Feb-21 17:23:43

Great picture, Alegrias1! I really hope that all the recent publicity about science and scientists encourages girls (and boys) to take up a career in the sciences. Chris Whitty, Jenny Harries and Jonathon Van Tam and all the other knowledgeable people appearing on the PM's briefing panel are doing a great job in keeping us informed and promoting their work. I am very much in awe of their knowledge and also of the way in which they communicate that knowledge to ordinary people. If only I had had science teachers like them at school!

Alegrias1 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:40:57

What scientific collaboration looked like before Zoom....

grandmajet Tue 16-Feb-21 16:37:26

What they said! Great work.

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Feb-21 16:35:43

NellG we watched that, amazing. Scientists show that true collaboration can be for the greater good, I applaud them and their teams who do so much in support.

garnet25 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:33:11

BigBertha1, It was reading about Marie Curie as a child that put me on the path to becoming a scientist.
Many people sneer about "Big Pharma" but I can say that the people who do the groundwork are extremely dedicated and are 90% there because they want to help people.

AGAA4 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:32:41

Yes all hail to the scientists. They are the ones working in the background who will get us out of this pandemic.

Alegrias1 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:25:55

Fauci recognised for championing science in the face of all the odds in the US:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56081182

suziewoozie Tue 16-Feb-21 14:16:24

Does anyone know the book Women in Science? It’s aimed at primary school ages and covers 50 women including Katherine Johnson from
NASA. It’s excellent

suziewoozie Tue 16-Feb-21 13:53:22

Oh yes Hidden Figures was stunning.

NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 13:50:51

Some astonishing women on this list. Did anyone see Hidden Figures? The film about the black, female human computers who worked at NASA. Amazing story - film was a bit inaccurate in places but what those women achieved against so many odds was and is amazing.

www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/meet-10-women-in-science-who-changed-the-world