Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

All hail the scientists! 🥳🧪🔬👩‍🔬

(39 Posts)
Alegrias1 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:19:49

One of the very few good things to come out of the pandemic is the realisation that scientists are going to be the people who get us out of this situation.

We've got Sarah Gilbert at the Uni of Oxford. Uğur Şahin and Özlem Türeci at BioNTech, and many others.

So this is a thread to celebrate scientists and their contributions. No politics please, no sexism, no conspiracy theories! (Hope springs eternal)

For inspiration, the photo attached is from a Physics conference in Brussels in 1911. Scientists from just about everywhere; France, Netherlands, America, Germany, UK, Poliand, New Zealand....but only one woman then. It was Madame Curie though!

BigBertha1 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:25:16

I agree its amazing what our scientists have come up with this year although they have been quietly working away on many things without us taking a lot of notice. I recently watched the film 'Radioactive' the story of Marie Curie absolutely wonderful film.
Also I will just say my SIL is a scientist and I haven't appreciated him in the past but I do much more so now.

Good thread. smile

Kalu Tue 16-Feb-21 11:40:21

Greatest respect for all scientists working tirelessly in their endeavour to allow all, hope for the future.

25Avalon Tue 16-Feb-21 11:53:45

Alegrias1 I am busy rejoicing and being amazed at what science can achieve worldwide. Scientists offer hope for us all. We now no longer fear smallpox, TB, diphtheria. That’s just diseases before we get round to our understanding of the world.

Shrub Tue 16-Feb-21 11:57:35

My late husband was a well qualified research scientist, I learned so much from him. Particularly open mindedness.

LauraNorder Tue 16-Feb-21 12:05:30

A vaccine to fight COVID in less than a year. Vaccines that protect us against serious illnesses that would have killed us once. Treatments that mean cancer is no longer the death sentence it was once. Organ transplants and prosthetic limbs, yes all hail medical scientists.
Computers, smartphones, moon landings, laser technologies, even Netflix, all wonderful innovations that have improved our lives.
All hail all scientists.

NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 12:13:15

All hail Max Theiler, the first scientist to develop a vaccine that was effective against a virus, in this case Yellow Fever back in the 1930s. A South African man, post grad educated in London, then working through Harvard who finally won a Nobel prize for his work. He laid the foundations which allowed the present day vaccines to be developed so quickly.

Namsnanny Tue 16-Feb-21 12:42:31

No need to encourage me to sing their praises Aligreas1, I have always felt this way smile.
Inventors and innovators are what we need more of.
Curiosity leads to both, and thankfully humans are full of questions!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to give my opinion!

suziewoozie Tue 16-Feb-21 13:04:17

For anyone who doesn’t know the programme, can I recommend again the absolutely excellent The Life Scientific on R4. The episode with Sarah Gilbert is really interesting and illuminating on how she ended up where she has. I think they’re all advisable on BBC Sounds.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:13:25

Both my children are scientists🙂.

Son is an environmental scientist, so climate change looms large in his life.

Daughter is Micro-biologist, so I get my information from her with regard to the virus and other stuff.

All power to them I say😄😄

Alegrias1 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:13:37

"The Life Scientific" anecdote....

Friends of friends were coming to visit near us a few years ago and our mutual friends thought we'd get on well together. We met up in a local restaurant and right enough, we did get on very well.

The following week we put on the Life Scientific and there was the person we'd met being interviewed!

Scientists are people too. smile Usually quite humble ones.

Sparklefizz Tue 16-Feb-21 13:19:25

All power to the scientists! My admiration for them is boundless, and it's been interesting to learn of so many of them during the pandemic .... names we might never have come across because they have always been working behind the scenes!

They are awesome and we owe them so much.

suziewoozie Tue 16-Feb-21 13:31:32

Alegrias1

"The Life Scientific" anecdote....

Friends of friends were coming to visit near us a few years ago and our mutual friends thought we'd get on well together. We met up in a local restaurant and right enough, we did get on very well.

The following week we put on the Life Scientific and there was the person we'd met being interviewed!

Scientists are people too. smile Usually quite humble ones.

I know someone who’s been on TLS and is now frequently on all sorts of TV and radio programmes. She’s the sister of my dd’s best friend and we’ve been given signed copies of her books. She’s a real character and tremendous fun to be with.

janeainsworth Tue 16-Feb-21 13:41:58

Thank you for your OP Alegrias.
I think one good thing that may come out of the pandemic might be that more young people are inspired to follow a scientific career, given the example of our brilliant scientists.

NellG Tue 16-Feb-21 13:50:51

Some astonishing women on this list. Did anyone see Hidden Figures? The film about the black, female human computers who worked at NASA. Amazing story - film was a bit inaccurate in places but what those women achieved against so many odds was and is amazing.

www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/meet-10-women-in-science-who-changed-the-world

suziewoozie Tue 16-Feb-21 13:53:22

Oh yes Hidden Figures was stunning.

suziewoozie Tue 16-Feb-21 14:16:24

Does anyone know the book Women in Science? It’s aimed at primary school ages and covers 50 women including Katherine Johnson from
NASA. It’s excellent

Alegrias1 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:25:55

Fauci recognised for championing science in the face of all the odds in the US:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56081182

AGAA4 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:32:41

Yes all hail to the scientists. They are the ones working in the background who will get us out of this pandemic.

garnet25 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:33:11

BigBertha1, It was reading about Marie Curie as a child that put me on the path to becoming a scientist.
Many people sneer about "Big Pharma" but I can say that the people who do the groundwork are extremely dedicated and are 90% there because they want to help people.

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Feb-21 16:35:43

NellG we watched that, amazing. Scientists show that true collaboration can be for the greater good, I applaud them and their teams who do so much in support.

grandmajet Tue 16-Feb-21 16:37:26

What they said! Great work.

Alegrias1 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:40:57

What scientific collaboration looked like before Zoom....

NotTooOld Tue 16-Feb-21 17:23:43

Great picture, Alegrias1! I really hope that all the recent publicity about science and scientists encourages girls (and boys) to take up a career in the sciences. Chris Whitty, Jenny Harries and Jonathon Van Tam and all the other knowledgeable people appearing on the PM's briefing panel are doing a great job in keeping us informed and promoting their work. I am very much in awe of their knowledge and also of the way in which they communicate that knowledge to ordinary people. If only I had had science teachers like them at school!

Millie22 Tue 16-Feb-21 18:37:42

Marie Curie was a truly remarkable woman. It would be so good if more girls showed an interest in science. Here's hoping.