Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Bull in field that has a public footpath going across it….

(36 Posts)
MayBee70 Fri 25-Jun-21 16:47:59

The field at the end of our garden has a very popular footpath going right across the middle of it. Each summer the cows and their calves are put there. Now, I would never walk through a field with cows and calves anyway but it horrifies me to see people walking across it when there’s a bull there too. Is this legal?

Casdon Fri 25-Jun-21 16:51:51

Nope, not legal unless the bull is under 10 months old, ie a juvenile. Do you know it’s mature, as farmers wouldn’t generally put an adult bull in a field with cows and calves?

MayBee70 Fri 25-Jun-21 16:53:05

It’s definitely mature….

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 25-Jun-21 16:53:53

Don’t think it’s illegal. A bit daft though. We went for a walk on holiday a few years ago, and on the way back, the same field had filled with cows. There was no other way back to our campsite that we knew. There were no calves or bulls. Still pretty frightening. We all agreed to jump in the river running alongside if we had to! Luckily, they just ignored us

Blossoming Fri 25-Jun-21 16:56:16

Perfectly legal, as long as the bull is with cows or heifers and isn’t a recognised dairy breed. I’d be more wary of cows with calves, they become dry protective.

Blossoming Fri 25-Jun-21 16:58:34

Farmers Weekly agrees with me ?

www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/tips-on-staying-legal-with-bulls-and-cows-near-footpaths

Casdon Fri 25-Jun-21 16:58:37

www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/what-cattle-farmers-should-know-8964531
It is illegal to have an adult bull in a field with a footpath because of the risk to the public on a right of way. There’s info on the Rambling Association site about what to do if you know this is happening.

MaizieD Fri 25-Jun-21 17:25:21

Casdon

www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/what-cattle-farmers-should-know-8964531
It is illegal to have an adult bull in a field with a footpath because of the risk to the public on a right of way. There’s info on the Rambling Association site about what to do if you know this is happening.

It's not illegal, Casdon, it's what Blossoming said.

From your link:

Section 59 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 bans bulls of recognised dairy breeds (eg Ayrshire, Friesian, Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry) in all circumstances from being at large in fields crossed by public rights of way.

Bulls of all other breeds are also banned from such fields unless accompanied by cows or heifers, but there are no specific prohibitions on other cattle. “Fields” in this legislation do not include areas such as open fell or moorland.

I must admit I'd be dubious about a field with cows and a a bull in it, whatever its breed...

NotTooOld Fri 25-Jun-21 17:25:57

DiscoDancer - for future reference I think cows can swim!

MaizieD Fri 25-Jun-21 17:26:47

Cows on their own are fine, they can be nosey and come to investigate you, but mostly they keep away.

muse Fri 25-Jun-21 17:46:21

It’s exactly what Blossoming said. It’s is legal.

I looked into this last year as I had an incident whilst walking with my dog, on her lead, through national trust grounds. Bull and cows in a fenced and gated field. The public footpath through it was one of 3 set walks.

However, the Ramblers are trying to stop farmers /owners putting bulls in such fields. Hope they succeed.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 25-Jun-21 18:13:25

NotTooOld

DiscoDancer - for future reference I think cows can swim!

Oh no?. Thank goodness I never knew that at the time! Thank you?

MayBee70 Fri 25-Jun-21 18:16:02

Blossoming

Perfectly legal, as long as the bull is with cows or heifers and isn’t a recognised dairy breed. I’d be more wary of cows with calves, they become dry protective.

There are cows with young calves in the field with him. It’s a huge field and the footpath cuts through the middle of it. I often see people walking between cows and their calves. It really worries me. They aren’t dairy cattle, though.

MayBee70 Fri 25-Jun-21 18:21:44

I’m very wary of cattle in general after being pinned into the corner of a field by some large bullocks whilst walking my dog years ago. And I’ve got three friends who have all been injured by their own cattle. I would hope that there’s a sign on the field to say there’s a bull in it. I might go and have a look tomorrow. D H saw a cow run a fox out of the field last year that was bothering her so they can’t half move when they want to!

Katie59 Fri 25-Jun-21 18:22:51

It is legal if it’s not a dairy breed and with cows - for company.
However it’s not good practice, the farm next to us has fenced the footpath off to keep walkers away from cattle and in this case horses as well.
Farmers opinion is, animals are unpredictable, walkers are stupid, walking dogs through cattle is dangerous even I wouldnt do it.

MayBee70 Fri 25-Jun-21 18:23:51

Why are dairy bulls not ok but non dairy are?

Shandy57 Fri 25-Jun-21 18:24:52

The farmer should put up a notice MayBee70, cows with calves are dangerously protective. A family were walking through a field here two years ago and the grandmother was killed by the mother cow.

NotTooOld Fri 25-Jun-21 18:35:09

Blimey. Must show my friend's husband this thread. He thinks I'm a right wuss for refusing to walk across a field of cows!

Incidentally, as MayBee70 has asked above, why are dairy bulls not ok but non dairy are? Would really like to know!

BlueBelle Fri 25-Jun-21 18:41:55

I would never walk through a field of cows or a bull They are blooming big and can do a mass of damage We once went for a walk which was by a field of highland cattle there was some kind of low barrier nothing much and I wouldn’t even walk outside their field I went back and waited in the car park
Really find them too big and scary

MayBee70 Fri 25-Jun-21 18:43:34

I know some breeds are more volatile than others. The bullocks that chased me were (I think) Charolais. Huge beasts they were. A farming friend told me that cows are highly intelligent: more intelligent than horses according to her (although I’ve never seen horses on her farm).

MayBee70 Fri 25-Jun-21 18:45:33

BlueBelle

I would never walk through a field of cows or a bull They are blooming big and can do a mass of damage We once went for a walk which was by a field of highland cattle there was some kind of low barrier nothing much and I wouldn’t even walk outside their field I went back and waited in the car park
Really find them too big and scary

Another friend of mine was very lucky to survive an attack by a Highland cow she’d recently acquired. Unknown to her it was pregnant and she got between the cow and her calf. It almost killed her. It’s no wonder I’m paranoid about cattle!

seacliff Fri 25-Jun-21 19:50:01

A family member was walking across a field on footpath with his well behaved welsh border collie on a lead, the land was part of a stately home. He was attacked by a herd of cows, the dog got away but he almost died, chest crushed etc, and was in hospital for weeks.

Years ago I too was surrounded by cows when walking by dog, on lead, on footpath. Luckily the farmer came along and recued us. Cows see the dog as a threat, especially when they have young.

I would never risk going into a field of cows or bull, with a dog, whatever the signs said.

MayBee70 Fri 25-Jun-21 20:04:19

It’s such a long field I doubt if people realise there are cattle in it. A pavement runs adjacent to it. It would be no further to walk along the pavement. The problem is that it’s a pilgrim route so I assume if you don’t follow the exact route it doesn’t count as a pilgrimage?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Jun-21 20:08:56

A chap we know through dog walking was in a field with cows and calves and the cows decided he and his dog were a threat and pushed him and trod on him, he suffered broken ribs and other injuries.

Imo the chap made a poor judgement by thinking that the cows would not be frightened of the dogs and defend their calves.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Jun-21 20:09:12

MayBee70

It’s such a long field I doubt if people realise there are cattle in it. A pavement runs adjacent to it. It would be no further to walk along the pavement. The problem is that it’s a pilgrim route so I assume if you don’t follow the exact route it doesn’t count as a pilgrimage?

Cheat