Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Every Single River in. England is Polluted

(37 Posts)
vegansrock Fri 14-Jan-22 06:05:52

There is a chemical cocktail of plastic, raw sewage, agricultural pesticides and slurry polluting every river in England and killing wildlife. This is more important than Andrew’s titles , Downing Street parties or Catherine’s hair, - does anyone care? Is there any campaign to join?
'Chemical cocktail’ polluting English rivers - MPs warn www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59955624

paddyann54 Sun 16-Jan-22 13:15:50

Granny23 I believe the queen is selling licenses for wind in Scotland ....well sh's had most of our other assets so why not!

MerylStreep Sun 16-Jan-22 13:20:16

Mummer
Could you explain where do your service on a river?

Grantanow Sun 16-Jan-22 13:42:53

If the Tories could privatise the air we breathe they would for the benefit of their rich friends. I would vote Green but (1) they are against nuclear power and gas which I believe we shall need as a base load until we have massive battery storage and (2) my constituency is so heavily Tory it would make no difference whatever.

Theoddbird Sun 16-Jan-22 13:57:19

Summer there are hundreds of narrow boats on the rivers across the country. What do you mean by 'service's?

Theoddbird Sun 16-Jan-22 13:59:39

Sorry that should be Mummer

Jaye53 Sun 16-Jan-22 14:11:58

I care deeply too.what can we do about it?

vegansrock Sun 16-Jan-22 15:07:25

Not sure why people who grow broccoli are being criticised for polluting rivers.

narrowboatnan Sun 16-Jan-22 23:22:08

Mummer

Narrow boats. Where do your service on a river?

Do you mean where are our services? If so, the Canal and River Trust, the Environment Agency, Scottish Canals and other navigation authorities provide services for toilet emptying (pump out or elsan points), shower and toilet facilities, taps for water to fill our water tanks with and bins for both recycling and rubbish.

They also have telephone, Facebook, Twitter and email facilities for reporting any pollution that we come across.

narrowboatnan Sun 16-Jan-22 23:32:09

Mummer - what is the Cat D that you refer to? There are narrow boats on rivers as well as canals. We've spent years on the rivers and canals, including the rivers Great Ouse, Lark, Little Ouse, Wissey, Old Bedford, Nene, Trent and Weaver. As far as I'm aware we don't have any sort of category though.

effalump Mon 17-Jan-22 09:09:33

No-one seems to mention the amount of residue from all the medications we take that travel through, and out, of the body. Also all the antibiotics fed to farm animals that migrates into meat and milk and no, I'm not vegan/vegetarian Although miniscule, with millions taking antibiotics even when we don't need them, the residues end up in our water supply which is why we are becoming resistant to them and Big Pharma can't make enough profit from these meds.

Yammy Mon 17-Jan-22 11:23:32

This pollution of Rivers hasn't just started we have never got to the bottom sorry for pun of cleaning them up. My father who would be nearly 100 stopped fishing in his 50's. Our towns river regularly had lots of dead trout and sea trout floating dead in it.
The culprit was always said to be the Milk Marketing Board ,s treatment plant further up the river whose effluent discharge into it often with a toxic mixture that killed all the fish.
Something needs to be done and it has been pointed out rivers cross borders of counties and countries it needs to be a unified effort.