Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

The re wilding of productive farm land.

(49 Posts)
Namsnanny Fri 14-Jan-22 13:51:47

£800 million annually to pay farmers to re wild useful farm land.

What of our carbon foot print, if we have to import more food from abroad?

What are the implications for animal welfare from imports from, Gknows where?

What should happen if imports are unavailable for any number of reasons (Covid should have taught us something)?

What of the lively hoods of farmers in this country, who by and large put the love of nature on the same standing as farming?

When are people (Government) going to use brains and courage to implement policies that help the people of this country, rather than give in and waste money on the latest headline grabbing fad?

JillyJosie2 Fri 14-Jan-22 14:07:07

I'd recommend reading some of the many books about rewinding projects. Wilding by Isabella Tree is one of the first and best and sets out the arguments well. Here's a review of it:

www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/28/wilding-isabella-tree-review-farm-return-nature

George Monbiot is also worth reading, though controversial.

I think you'll find that even DEFRA is now behind the concept, it's the future in a world where climate and natural resources are changing dramatically. The farmers are getting help to change! Rewilding doesn't mean just letting the land go wild, it means farming in a different way.

Namsnanny Fri 14-Jan-22 14:51:29

Thanks for the link jillyjosie2
I'll read it and hope for clarification.

As with every discussion there are more than just two sides, but at the moment my opinion has been informed by talking to friends who are farmers or work on the land.

JillyJosie2 Fri 14-Jan-22 15:10:18

The book by Isabella Tree is very readable and interesting and talks about resistance from the farming community in Sussex. I think it mentions 10 years of controversy before they began to be accepted.

Farmers are notoriously conservative which is not necessarily a bad thing but these are changing and alarming times.

We spent a short break on a conservation/rewilding project in Devon near Tiverton. It's called the Bulworthy Project and it's run by a young couple who bought some land and who are busy making it sustainable with much support from the local authority and DEFRA.

For instance, they are keeping cattle to provide manure and enhance the variety of species, returning some of the site to peat bog and wetland habitat, growing willow to make charcoal, cooperating with flood reduction plans locally, ensuring the survival of culm grassland which used to cover much of Devon and is important for wildlife.

The young chap gave us a fascinating and informative tour while we stayed in their off grid cabin over the weekend. I think lots of small projects like this are an important part of the future. That's not quite the same as large scale agriculture of course and there is a big question around producing enough food for a growing population but I suspect we'll never be self sufficient as a nation.

I did write a post recently on some thread or other about national concerns over soil fertility. It is said that we may have only 30 or 40 harvest's worth of fertile soil left! If you can bear it, here's another link!

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/805926/State_of_the_environment_soil_report.pdf

Thanks for raising this issue, I think it's very important and worth knowing and thinking about.

3dognight Fri 14-Jan-22 15:18:00

Any way that a farm can incorporate sustainable wildlife friendly land management methods is a good thing, is it not?

Mankind cannot live in isolation, we need field margins left for migratory birds and pollinators, some hedgerows left to grow through the seasons to provide for OUR wildlife.

In my own area I notice the beet fields have not been sprayed, this is the first year ever I have witnessed the weed ‘fat hen’ totally covering beet fields. I watched with interest how the flocks of mixed finches flew through taking the fat hen seeds, now the frost has about killed the weeds off and the beets having bided their time are growing strong and putting on some girth. I dare say the total yield is down, but it has been a haven for wildlife all year, this time of the year sheltering hare, deer, and many game birds.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 14-Jan-22 15:19:46

At a very basic level, if we don’t do more to look after pollinators we shall have no crops to eat.

M0nica Fri 14-Jan-22 15:24:33

Most of the rewilding is not of Grade 1 and Grade 2 farmland the richest and most productive, it is of marginal lands and less productive land.

One of the environmental groups has bought a farm in the East Angliam area that had been reclaimed from salt flats, they opened up a few sluices and let it return to salt flats. it reduces flooding elsewhere and absorbs high tides and storm waves, as well .

Here is a link to rewilding schemes in the UK treesforlife.org.uk/10-exciting-rewilding-projects-happening-in-the-uk/

You will notice all the land involved is marginal land.

Lincslass Fri 14-Jan-22 15:38:05

Rather more concerning is the sale of prime agricultural land to property developers, who then go on to completely disregard planning directives, such as building schools and other amenities. Less ability to produce food. At least re wilding is of benefit to the country side, working with farmers to ensure there will be food for humans and wildlife.

MayBee70 Fri 14-Jan-22 15:42:33

Is rewinding different from set aside? I remember paying a farmer for my daughter to ride her pony on land of his that was set aside years ago.

M0nica Fri 14-Jan-22 15:53:23

Yes, setaside land was just that. Land set aside and not cultivated for a set period of years, with recompense paid to the farmer for lost income. The land was just left fallow with no care or cultivation

Rewilding farm acreage taken out of production permanently and rewilded in a managed way to return it to its natural state before it was taken into cultivation.

As I have said above, this is almost entirely marginal lands, much only brought into production in WW2 when we needed all the crops we could get and kept in production afterwards through the heavy use of nitrogen fertilisers.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-Jan-22 15:58:43

Yes monica is correct. The land to be rewilded will not be top graded.

If you are interested in how rewinding will look after a number of years, we have the gold standard here is Sussex. Look at Knepp. It is just a few miles from where I live and it is a joy, especially when it’s not muddy?.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-Jan-22 15:59:41

In the summer the noise from the insects and the level of biodiversity is astounding.

JillyJosie2 Fri 14-Jan-22 16:01:38

The book about Knepp in Sussex is the one by Isabella Tree.

There is of course an organisation, here is the link and something about their aims:

Rewilding has the potential to reverse the catastrophic decline in species and allow nature to flourish across much larger, better connected, and much more resilient areas. Less management is needed, making it more affordable and therefore sustainable. Restoring natural processes and rebuilding ecosystems can draw down significant quantities of carbon from the atmosphere and tackle climate change (see our Carbon Report).
Our ambition at Rewilding Britain is to see nature recovering across 30% of Britain’s land area by 2030. That’s equivalent to approximately 7 million hectares. We believe at least 5% of the land, approximately one million hectares, should become ​‘core’ rewilding areas, where we work to restore ecosystems on a large scale and enable nature to take care of itself.

www.rewildingbritain.org.uk/explore-rewilding/what-is-rewilding/have-we-space-to-rewild

M0nica Fri 14-Jan-22 16:04:00

To be honest I am sick to death about hearing about Knepp, it is a really efficient business and I commend them, but every other scheme - and there are many, can get no spotlight because of Knepp.

I had to page through three pages of google before I found the link I posted above. The first two pages were just, Knepp, Knepp, Knepp, Knepp, Knepp.

pipdog Fri 14-Jan-22 16:08:08

Properly thought out re-wilding can work but we lived on a open moorland where Natural England paid farmers to remove the hefted sheep flocks and introduce native breed cattle. The upshot has been not all the cattle are native breeds so the wrong sort for the land in question and where there was a good diversity of nature with loads of song birds there are very few and the land is going backwards so that eventually it will be no good for anything but scrub and the wrong sort of weeds. Is is such a shame Natural England didn't listen to farmers and farm workers like my husband who knew the land and knew what would happen. My husband is so glad he retired and no longer has to look after this moorland as it was becoming impossible to do so. He was very keen to farm for and with nature but in the right way in the right place.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-Jan-22 16:13:31

M0nica

To be honest I am sick to death about hearing about Knepp, it is a really efficient business and I commend them, but every other scheme - and there are many, can get no spotlight because of Knepp.

I had to page through three pages of google before I found the link I posted above. The first two pages were just, Knepp, Knepp, Knepp, Knepp, Knepp.

Oh dear.

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 16:14:26

Knapp was shown on the television in more than one programme.

Rewilding is an excellent thing to aim for to encourage biodiversity. Without this we will lose even more pollinators and crops will fail, as GSM said.

The history of hedges is interesting too, over the millennia we have cleared hedges, re-planted hedges and then cleared them for various reasons.
We've lost more since WW2 than ever and the rewilding programme can only be a good thing.

Of course, farming practices may have to adjust and farmers can't do this without some financial aid because many are struggling as it is.

We've also built on flood plains and will now have to find ecologically sound ways to stop the flooding caused by climate change but also by stupid planning decisions.

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 16:15:19

Sorry - Knepp!

I'll mention beavers instead then!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-Jan-22 16:20:30

The good thing about Knepp is that it is as I have said being used as the gold standard and the model for other rewinding projects.

I have been able to watch it since the beginning, and this summer was delighted to hear the clacking of storks, who have been given a safe haven. They are thriving.

But really what I find so glorious is the level of biodiversity. It takes me right back to my childhood living in the west of England.

Namsnanny Fri 14-Jan-22 16:35:51

Thanks for the information everyone.
jillyjosey2 I did notice your post on the other thread about the fertility of our soils, and was very glad to see others are interested.
Ive just finished reading about how mushrooms, mycillium and bio char are all useful in this area.

M0nica correct me if I'm wrong, but this scheme seems to be in addition to all the others which intend to help and encourage farmers to find different ways to farm?

Lots of farmers use these to try to reduce fertiliser, pesticide use, and also re wild marginal land.

I was of the understanding this pushes the agenda into using more cultivated land?

I'm quite concerned that we will lose the little control we have of continuity of our food, and animal welfare.

M0nica Fri 14-Jan-22 18:02:20

namsnanny I am a bit confused by your post

this scheme seems to be in addition to all the others which intend to help and encourage farmers to find different ways to farm?

Which scheme I mentioned are you referring to and I am not sure I mentioned any other schemes.

Have you confused me with someone else?

Juliet27 Fri 14-Jan-22 18:18:03

I’ve just read this…

‘The Knepp Estate may hog the limelight, but another rewilding project of a similar scale is unfolding in East Anglia.’

www.inkcapjournal.co.uk/the-grand-plan-to-rewild-somerleyton-estate-including-the-return-of-the-lynx/

Hetty58 Fri 14-Jan-22 18:26:20

Namsnanny, it's obvious (from your post) that you don't understand the concept, or importance of rewilding. You really don't seem interested in slowing down global warming or the destruction of our planet. Instead, you want to keep things as they have been - unsustainable - why?

We have plenty of farmland to rewild. Up to 80% of it is used to grow animal feed. We don't need to eat meat or use animal products. We do need to support the ecosystem that keeps us alive though!

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 18:27:37

Here are more:

www.rewildingbritain.org.uk/rewilding-network/projects

M0nica Fri 14-Jan-22 20:47:18

namsnanny I hahe gone back and read your OP very carefully and I think part of your problem is that you do not fully understand what rewilding and its context is all about, nor I suspect do your farming friends.

Rewilding must be seen in the broader context of climate change and environmental damage done, mainly by the way many countries have farmed their land over the last 50 years, in particular in those countries who have invested heavily in industrial farming and monocultures over large areas of land. The midland plains of the United States being a classic example.

Once the plains were covered in grass and 100s of thousands of bison grazed these plains. Once settlers killed the bison, stripped the grass and turned this area into the bread bowl of the world, they soon found they had also got the dustbowl of the world and John Steinbeck's book 'the Grapes of Wrath', describes the farmers driven to destitution as the combination of drought and wind blew all the fertile soil off the farmland.

Farmland that now continues to produce wheat and corn because it is heavily spread with nitrogen fertliser. The production, transportation and use of mineral fertilizers contribute directly and indirectly to emissions of greenhouse gases,

By the 1960s, Rachel Carson warned how heavy use of pesticides was killing off insects, plants and animals species.

This continual exploitation of all kinds of soils, with man-made fertilsers and pesticides, has made it possible to clear and farm any soil, and large industrial complexes have done that: Amazonian rain forest, wetlands in south east Asia, marginal land everywhere have been ploughed up to grow monoculture crops of soya and maize. This resulted in more crops than people could eat so it was

However these crops are not suited to the digestion systems of cattle but they fattened up well on it, especially of you fed them antibiotics, which they needed anyway to deal with the side effects of their diet and, as they no longer ate grass, they could be kept in sheds and feed lots where the risk of disease. was high, so with antibiotics it was a win/win situation 'healthy' cattle that gained weight fast. The welfare of the cattle themselves were not factored in.

With global warming we are reaping the crops we also sowed. That of losing trees that helped absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, the carbon dioxide produced making, transportation and using mineral fertilizers both contribute directly and indirectly to emissions of greenhouse gases. Then there all the cattle being bred to produce meat as cheaply as possible at a maximum cost to the environment, in the food needed to feed them, and the emissions they produce.

We need for our own sakes and our children and grandchildren, to replace many of these polluting and damaging agriculture practices with ones that help the land support itself, we must turn away from eating patterns this agriculture has encouraged us into: highly processed sweet foods based on corn, eating large quantities of cheaply produced poor quality beef back to an eating pattern that is sustainable in the modern world.

Which brings me to rewilding. One of the first things we can do is return marginal farmland, much of which has only been ploughed and cropped since 1939, back to what it was - mainly rough pasture, woodland, marsh and fen. We need more hedgerows to sustain wild flowers, insects and mammals, which are all part of a complex ecosystem that we are only just starting to unravel.

The problem is the word 'rewilding' is absolutely not what is happening. The owners of the Knepp estate did not just put a fence round their land with no gate and leave it to develop any kind of plants that happened to grow their. They have managed their land as carefully as any farmer, which of course they are, they have planted and nurtured and encouraged this type of ecosystem and discouraged that, chosen their cattle breeds etc with care. They are as much farmers managing their land so that it provides them with a living as Farmer Giles with a thousand acres of maize and big farm machinery.

And thatnamsnanny is how you and your farmer friends should see it, farming the landscape for the health of the planet, the animals, the people, by taking it back to the self sustaining system it always was and not one that flogs the soil to death and plunders our natural resources like gas and chemicals that kill of natural life to get bigger and bigger crops for our lifetime, to leave a legacy of a planet destroyed.

Sorry for the polemic.