Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

A new winter coat

(80 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Sep-22 07:00:59

How I feel and look in my puffa jacket ?

Boz Sat 01-Oct-22 10:19:57

The only coat I can see that I like is £495; will wait for the Sale,

Lovetopaint037 Sat 01-Oct-22 10:03:32

Whitewavemark2

How I feel and look in my puffa jacket ?

And very nice you look too. You could wear that indoors with a hot water bottle and a cosy throw. Just the thing for the fashion conscious or the plain frozen.

Daisymae Sat 01-Oct-22 07:57:24

I remember the first time that I tried on a padded coat, I was as broad as I was long!

karmalady Sat 01-Oct-22 07:30:42

DerbyshireLass

Lilyflower

I have two red coats, a green coat, two black coats, a camel coat (all classic cut wool) , a navy blue pea jacket and a fancy Phase Eight weatherproof coat. I wear them all during cold weather.

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and I have caught myself looking online for - coats.

You're a woman after my own heart. I have lots of coats and jackets. I love them all and wear them all too.. All colours, wool, faux fur, faux suede. Yes probably too many but it doesn't take a psychologist to work out why I have so many

I grew up quite poor and I never had a proper coat, just a school blazer and a gaberdene Mac. I was always cold in winter.

The first thing I bought when I started work and had some money was a coat. ?

same and the same psychology. I added to my coats the other day, a lovely warm, bright cheerful blue, down filled, waterproof, 3/4 length coat with a hood. All nice coats and all warm

Prentice Sat 01-Oct-22 07:22:40

Rosina

I have a silver grey puffa coat which is as light as a feather, warm as toast, and perfect for cold weather. Sadly, I look like a short fat hephalump, and the colour does nothing for my face - perhaps the lightly warmed corpse of a fat hephalump? However, when it is really cold I don't care what I look like, and I wear it.

You could add a pink scarf to give some warmth to your face.
Any colourful scarf between your face and a non flattering coat or dress colour does work wonders.

Prentice Sat 01-Oct-22 07:19:48

Thank you daddima also grannybuy explained.smile

I think we should all notice ourselves when glimpsed fleetingly in shop windows and mirrors, a true reflection of how we look, if not always welcome.
Sometimes a change of coat/ dress is needed but we are so used to what we wear that we do not notice it. Standing sideways when checking in a mirror in a new garment before
you buy is also a good idea.

MrsKen33 Sat 01-Oct-22 07:06:38

I think Loden is German and it is a type of cloth. Been around for ever. So I expect your duffle coat was genuine * Callistemon *

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Sep-22 20:29:44

MrsKen33

I have just bought a Loden. It is so well made …..see me out !

I sure I had a Loden duffel coat when I went to college umpteen years ago , is that possible?

MrsKen33 Fri 30-Sep-22 20:16:25

I have just bought a Loden. It is so well made …..see me out !

Rosina Wed 28-Sep-22 18:38:53

I have a silver grey puffa coat which is as light as a feather, warm as toast, and perfect for cold weather. Sadly, I look like a short fat hephalump, and the colour does nothing for my face - perhaps the lightly warmed corpse of a fat hephalump? However, when it is really cold I don't care what I look like, and I wear it.

sodapop Mon 26-Sep-22 17:20:06

My slim daughters look lovely in their Puffa jackets, I look like the Michelin woman. grin

Yammy Mon 26-Sep-22 14:03:57

When I was pregnant with DD I had a coat that was shaped like a cape with arms and a big warm hood. It had zigzag patterns on it and I hadn't really looked closely I just wanted to hide the bump. On more than one occasion I was asked where was my tepee including DH. When I looked at it again it looked like a native Indian blanket. I must have looked like the tepee at 8 months pregnant.smile

Daddima Mon 26-Sep-22 13:28:06

Prentice

Lululemon

I've got a green puffa jacket - loved it until my daughter said I looked like a turtle!

I can see that, and will notice all ladies in green puffas now!

daddima I do not understand what your neighbour said , just the word fat, will you explain please?

Literally, ‘ What a lovely girl, she’s hanging in fat’, presumably referring to what would be called muffin tops or spare tyres these days!
She obviously felt it was a good look.

Yammy Mon 26-Sep-22 12:33:23

Doubtfire before I am corrected.

Yammy Mon 26-Sep-22 11:50:56

TiggyW

MawtheMerrier
There’s a cape, like the one you described, on sale on QVC right now!?

Who wants to look like Mrs Dowtfire,Mary Poppins or the old school nurses in a cape? We are in the 21 century not the twentieth.

Nightsky2 Mon 26-Sep-22 11:39:22

Georgesgran

Just reading through the posts, when this pic popped up. Is it just me, or is that awful?

MaxMara sell some lovely clothes but this is just awful.

I have several woolen winter coats as I never seem to get rid of any of them. I also have a couple of puffa jackets, both black which I love. I shop in one, the RL one and walk the dog in the other. Thought about wearing one this morning as it was very cold and windy when out walking.

TiggyW Mon 26-Sep-22 11:24:57

MawtheMerrier
There’s a cape, like the one you described, on sale on QVC right now!?

DerbyshireLass Mon 26-Sep-22 11:09:12

Loving the coat stories.......

Gabrielle I too regret giving some of my clothes away. I am going to be a bit less generous In future. ??

icanhandthemback Mon 26-Sep-22 11:05:44

When I was about 17, my mother spent ages sewing me the coat fashion of the day, a poncho. It was very much a Moroccan style pattern and I thought I was the bees knees until my boyfriend asked me why I wearing a marquee. I laughed it off until I passed a shop window and realised he was right. After that I only wore it when my mother forced me to. As soon as I left home and I was no longer fearful of her reaction, I binned it.

Gabrielle56 Mon 26-Sep-22 10:42:55

Regrets? I gave away a Full Length fabulous black heavy velvet coat to Ds girlfriend for them to split 3WEEKS LATER!! She also had a silver ring I gave her that had been from my grandma, I tentatively requested she return them as I imagined she would wear it at my funeral, .........no reply. Serves me right! Never EVER gonna give anything to any females attached to my DSs again! I just always wish she trips up in in and falls on her smug fizzog! She treated DS badly it turned out (why do they keep so many dreadful secrets from us?????)

GrammaH Mon 26-Sep-22 08:11:10

My favourite winter coat is a woollen red and cream houndstooth one I bought about 12 years ago. It was an M&S second and cost me £17. Every time I wear it, someone says how nice it is. I've always had a short thick quilted zip up coat as well, the current one is navy & I've had it ages & I'm bored with it. I saw a wonderful long yellow puffa type in TK Maxx the other day, so snuggly and warm with a double collar and a hood so I bought it. The navy one is heading for the charity shop!

Bijou Mon 26-Sep-22 02:17:16

I bought a loose red coat in 1946 when I was pregnant with my daughter. One hid ones bump in those days. That was my only winter coat until 1953 when my son was three because we were so poor.

Silverlady333 Mon 26-Sep-22 01:23:58

When I was young teen 1970's my mother bought me a red coat. My older married sister asked if she could borrow it. I had to go to her house some months later to get it back. Now just to set the scene at that time she lived in a terraced house with a back lane. Across the street there was a block of single men's accommodation for Police officers.
She made me leave via the back lane so the neighbours wouldn't see me (all those young men no doubt) in my own ruddy coat!

CanadianGran Mon 26-Sep-22 00:23:35

I don't own a puffy coat. I know they must be warm and light, but they just don't appeal to me. It seems like our whole town runs around in black puffy coats all winter long.

My go-to winter coat is navy, longer, waterproof with quilted lining and a good hood. Helly Hansen if you know the brand. We get a lot of rain here, so I have the essentials covered. I do have a black/grey plaid 'nicer' coat to wear out, but it isn't very warm if out for a long time.

I also love a red coat, although more burgundy than red. I had a well-loved winter coat when I was around 12 that was burgundy plaid with fake leather storm flaps and elbow patches. I felt so smart in that coat.

DerbyshireLass Sun 25-Sep-22 23:43:17

Lilyflower

I have two red coats, a green coat, two black coats, a camel coat (all classic cut wool) , a navy blue pea jacket and a fancy Phase Eight weatherproof coat. I wear them all during cold weather.

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and I have caught myself looking online for - coats.

You're a woman after my own heart. I have lots of coats and jackets. I love them all and wear them all too.. All colours, wool, faux fur, faux suede. Yes probably too many but it doesn't take a psychologist to work out why I have so many

I grew up quite poor and I never had a proper coat, just a school blazer and a gaberdene Mac. I was always cold in winter.

The first thing I bought when I started work and had some money was a coat. ?