Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Wind power, or the lack of it.

(105 Posts)
M0nica Mon 12-Dec-22 07:30:43

All fine and dandy when the wind blows, but in freezing cold weather like now, which is invariably accompanied by still windless conditions, it is currently only capable of providing us with 3% of the power we need gridwatch.co.uk/ .

If we are going to be carbon neutral in the next few decades, we need to reduce our reliance on wind power and develop other more reliable sources of carbon neutral power production; hydro power, tidal and wave power. These sources of power are all running commercially on a small scale in this country, but we should be focussing on these sources of power that come far closer to running 24/7 in all weathers than wind power can possibly do.

volver Tue 13-Dec-22 11:13:04

Nuclear is even faster, just 2 months to generate construction energy.

And 35,000 years to get rid of the radioactive waste the nuclear fission process generates. 🤔

Namsnanny Tue 13-Dec-22 11:35:57

Not using TS

Namsnanny Tue 13-Dec-22 11:38:24

volver

Yes, not sorry.

It is a very interesting topic. But unless the laws of physics have changed and I missed it, it's always going to be "no" to nuclear fission.

TS not fission

Aveline Tue 13-Dec-22 12:13:33

I read this morning that there's been some sort of breakthrough with nuclear fusion. It's a very small start indeed but it's a start!

volver Tue 13-Dec-22 12:15:27

There was a breakthrough in fusion when I was a student. 40 years on, and....

Whatever, I'm more of an optimist, I think eventually it will come to fruition.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 13-Dec-22 12:15:43

Yes in California.

Aveline Tue 13-Dec-22 12:24:08

It's the most successful so far volver. Every little advance has got to be good.

Norah Tue 13-Dec-22 12:50:20

karmalady

energy is being provided by 10% wind power right now, it is not an insignificant amount

Wind, solar (roof and ground mounted), hydro power and power storage, are all important to a green alternative power solution. Everything helps.

volver Tue 13-Dec-22 12:55:09

Yes, I agree Aveline. We've got to keep moving forward, but we shouldn't be expecting fusion to save us. It'll not be ready for decades, I think.

Casdon Tue 13-Dec-22 15:26:07

Right on cue, this just came up on BBC News.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63950962

M0nica Tue 13-Dec-22 15:43:27

But the problem with wind is that it is immensely variable. A couple of % one day, 50%+ plus the next. It makes managing the National Grid very difficult. One NG controller described it as like riding a bucking bronco. It makes the grid unstable and could trigger shutdowns.

It also means that you need to have a lot of excess capacity that can be switched on or off like a light switch. The electricity generators do not want to build and own capacity that will be inherently loss making, so the National Grid has to pay them to own and keep operational unproductive capacity.

While I agree everything helps, many green resources are unreliable or, in some cases, dangerous. There have been explosions in battery arrays storing power, wind is unreliable, to put it mildly, solar only works in daylight hours.

volver Trumps windmills may be going like the clappers but windpower is only providing us with 6% of our power at the moment on one of the coldest days of winter. 57% is coming from gas.

25Avalon Tue 13-Dec-22 18:26:53

It looks like Fusion could be here sooner than we think following the breakthrough in California. Some British firms reckon we are leaders in the field and could have it ready in 10 years. We shall see.

volver Tue 13-Dec-22 19:33:43

30 years minimum.

You heard it here first.

Aveline Tue 13-Dec-22 19:50:54

Surely they'll be able to put their big brains on to it and speed it up. It's urgently required.

volver Tue 13-Dec-22 20:05:11

Doesn't matter how big your brain is if you can't get funding for your research.

M0nica Tue 13-Dec-22 21:49:49

So far after 50+ years, this new breakthough has produced enough power to boil a couple of kettles. It now has to be developed so that it can produce enough power to meet all the power needs of a big city. Another 50+ years?

Katie59 Wed 14-Dec-22 07:59:55

www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/12/breakthrough-in-nuclear-fusion-could-mean-near-limitless-energy

The reports have been rather economical with the facts, they seem to have measured an energy gain from the reaction BUT the energy needed to contain it is not a accounted for.
Obviously containing energy that reached several million degrees is critical, it’s the energy that the sun produces that is contained by intense gravity, reproducing that on earth is not going to be quick.

Brahumbug Sat 11-Mar-23 21:32:09

There are better ways of storing power than chemical batteries.

M0nica Sun 12-Mar-23 13:42:44

Brahumbug What are they?

Brahumbug Thu 13-Apr-23 06:43:29

Pumped water storage, large heavy weights. Old mine shafts would be ideal for huge weights, of the order of hundreds or thousands of tonnes, moving up and down.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Apr-23 06:55:07

Not sure where your windfree home is Monica but here on the east coast we have strong winds 90% of the time
Also not sure where your 3% comes from this is what I read

Wind energy generation accounted for 24% of total electricity generation (including renewables and non-renewables) in 2020; with offshore wind accounting for 13% and onshore wind accounting for 11%.

Katie59 Thu 13-Apr-23 07:15:10

This morning the UK is using 64% non Fossil fuel 44% of that is wind, no solar yet but that may increase the green energy mix

We fitted solar with a battery in January so far it has reduced our electricity by 3/4 - we are only taking 3KWh per day from the grid, far better than expected

NanaDana Thu 13-Apr-23 07:16:52

There is no silver bullet solution to the building global energy crisis. Yes, we need to phase out the use of fossil fuels, otherwise global warming will rapidly make vast tracts of our planet virtually uninhabitable. We also need to phase out Nuclear Fission, an energy source which produces a waste product which is not only fatal to all life forms, but which will last for millennia. Its on-going "safe" storage is a poisonous legacy which generations of our descendants have been condemned to live, or perhaps even die with. Safety issues? Fukushima, Chernobyl... where next? So we need to focus on a combination of alternative power sources.. solar, wind, tidal.. yes, all of these have their own issues, but any negative impact on Mother earth will be a fraction of what we routinely produce now. Bottom line for me.. I fear that we may have already left this too late. I have not been impressed by the rhetoric from the various UN Climate Conferences, or even from the "worthy" aims of the Paris agreement. Plenty of talking the talk, but very little walking the walk..

volver3 Thu 13-Apr-23 07:26:03

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65240094

There is hope.

Chardy Thu 13-Apr-23 07:45:02

VioletSky

Every house that has suitable roofs pointed in the right direction should have solar panels

Yes, definitely.
And local Planning Committees should encourage new houses to have a decent-sized south-facing roof at an appropriate angle, with panels.