Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Food for the birds

(29 Posts)
MayBee70 Sat 17-Dec-22 14:49:25

The pigeons keep eating the food I put of for the birds so I’m trying to supplement it with stuff that I might throw out ( helps with my zero waste policy). So I’ve ground down some dog kibble that’s past it’s best before date. I’ve got loads of it so I hope they eat it and it’s ok for them.I make sure they have water nearby as well. I’ve also got some old cooking oil that I can mix with something. Does anyone have any ideas of other stuff I could put out? I always put apple cores out for the blackbirds.

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Dec-22 10:36:20

Blondiescot

Callistemon21

Blondiescot

Not just terriers! We have a burn which runs just the other side of our garden, so we occasionally get water rats appearing - our Lab loves disposing of them!

Water rats aren't rats!!
They're voles.

These are definitely rats, not voles! There are voles which live much further up the burn and you can tell the difference. One of our neighbours is a river environmentalist and confirmed that.

Ooh, yes, dispose of the rats. They spread Weil's disease in the water.

Hope your Lab knows the difference and that he's ok.

Shrub Sun 18-Dec-22 11:19:42

I'm very cross! I bought a tub of the cheaper fat balls and the birds don't like them. They just grow mouldy. Even the pigeons ignore them if I put one on the ground.

Georgesgran Sun 18-Dec-22 12:14:02

I use really good quality fat balls in a feeder and crumble a couple on the ground - I can’t keep up with the demand!