Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Nature Walk - What Have You Seen Today?

(116 Posts)
SeaWoozle Tue 20-Feb-24 13:43:34

A sunbathing squirrel! Also saw my first bumble of the year. Spring is springing!

Kate1949 Tue 20-Feb-24 13:49:51

Two visitors on the canal behind our house.

Witzend Tue 20-Feb-24 13:51:02

It was the other day - ancient blackthorn tree in our local park that evidently fell down many years ago, but more than one of its branches put down roots.

Here it is - just one original tree - my harbinger of spring.

LucyAnna Tue 20-Feb-24 13:53:11

Some crocuses on a roadside on my walk into town.

Grandmabatty Tue 20-Feb-24 14:05:11

Crocuses flowering and daffodils nearly flowering

Namsnanny Tue 20-Feb-24 14:52:17

Urban rather than country, but dramatic skies and the start of a rainbow yesterday.

Grannybags Tue 20-Feb-24 15:35:27

Really excited to see a Red Kite flying past our house this morning!

We live in South Gloucestershire and have never seen one here before

joannapiano Tue 20-Feb-24 15:39:44

Driving through Epping Forest yesterday we saw a herd of about 20 small deer. We see them in ones and twos, that is the most we have ever seen. They are very cute.

SeaWoozle Tue 20-Feb-24 15:40:38

Grannybags

Awww, wonderful. Lucky you! We're in mid Wales and regularly get them flying over the house. Spectacular creatures.

Redhead56 Tue 20-Feb-24 15:41:57

In the woods little Goldcrest Chaffinch and squirrels and wood pigeons.

joannapiano Tue 20-Feb-24 15:42:11

Lots of red kite flying over our conservatory this afternoon.

keepingquiet Tue 20-Feb-24 15:43:59

The council planted a swathe of crocus' right across from my house a few years ago- so now they look really pretty from my front window.
On my walk this morning I also saw a blackthorn in full bloom. I didn't know its name so thanks for the pic, and my finding out what it is. My brother has one in his front garden, so now I can tell him what it is, thanks!

Grannybags Tue 20-Feb-24 15:44:57

SeaWoozle

Grannybags

Awww, wonderful. Lucky you! We're in mid Wales and regularly get them flying over the house. Spectacular creatures.

Yes we holiday in Wales especially to see them. Hopefully they are starting to spread further afield now.

lixy Tue 20-Feb-24 16:28:30

Wren with a mouthful of tiny twigs hopping around in the front garden this morning. I often see them from my kitchen window as my little rockery sems to be a favourite foraging space.

tanith Tue 20-Feb-24 17:07:33

Primroses in my garden and daffodils on my walk.

MayBee70 Tue 20-Feb-24 17:11:49

lixy

Wren with a mouthful of tiny twigs hopping around in the front garden this morning. I often see them from my kitchen window as my little rockery sems to be a favourite foraging space.

They are supposed to be the most common bird in the UK and yet I very rarely see one!

SeaWoozle Tue 20-Feb-24 17:19:04

Namsnanny

Urban rather than country, but dramatic skies and the start of a rainbow yesterday.

I do love cloud watching! ☺️

Oldbat1 Tue 20-Feb-24 17:51:19

We have hares frequent the fields near us. Saw my first today when walking the dog and I look forward to watching them over the next few weeks. When they start breeding there is often 4 or 5 in the field charging around. Fantastic to see.

SeaWoozle Tue 20-Feb-24 18:06:39

Oldbat1

We have hares frequent the fields near us. Saw my first today when walking the dog and I look forward to watching them over the next few weeks. When they start breeding there is often 4 or 5 in the field charging around. Fantastic to see.

They're beautiful to watch. There were a few by NT Croome, Worcestershire where I used to live. One was running quite a way ahead of me while I was driving and I was unsure what it was to start with because it was so big. One thing I really miss is all the wildlife. Believe it or not, hardly any here. Though we do get a tawny owl sits in the tree in the front garden, and the kites. But haven't seen a badger or fox in nearly three years.

Georgesgran Tue 20-Feb-24 19:54:24

Hares are my favourites, but hardly see any here. We stopped the car on Sunday morning to watch four deer grazing - amazing, just outside Newcastle, while others just drove by, oblivious. Sometimes, people have no idea what’s on their doorsteps?

Redrobin51 Tue 20-Feb-24 20:04:44

A beautiful fox trotting across our little park. There was also about 20 long tailed tits going from tree to tree. There was a bitter wind but you could still sense spring in the air.

CocoPops Tue 20-Feb-24 20:06:30

Yesterday when out walking my dog (west coast of Canada) I saw a beautiful Red Breasted Sap Sucker only a couple of yards away from me.

kibera10 Tue 20-Feb-24 20:06:54

On a bank at our allotment today - a large area of Violets and lesser Celandines (plants with darker leaves) growing together; the violet and yellow colours looked wonderful together

Kate1949 Tue 20-Feb-24 20:13:14

Last week in a local beauty spot here in the West Midlands there were parakeets in the trees.

Norah Tue 20-Feb-24 20:21:41

Together with 2 GGC, we found these favourites on a walk today. Spring is almost here.