Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Can we have an edit function?

(28 Posts)
Greatnan Sat 24-Mar-12 10:19:58

My computer often jumps and posts before I have finished and sometimes I even make mistakes! Some of my forums have an 'edit' function which allows me to correct them.
I would also like to ask for the 'link automatically' box to be moved to the top of the page, so I can tick it without scrolling down and up.

Anagram Sat 24-Mar-12 10:51:22

I miss the edit function, too, Greatnan. Even if you preview your post, sometimes things go wrong!

wotsamashedupjingl Sat 24-Mar-12 10:54:46

You can always post an amendment.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 24-Mar-12 11:11:03

I'm afraid adding an amendment is the only way for now - but we will discuss with tech to see if this may change at some point

Anagram Sat 24-Mar-12 11:11:04

Yes, but that would just draw attention to your original cock-up mistake!

Greatnan Sat 24-Mar-12 11:11:19

I just have, but it is messy and I don't like mess!

wotsamashedupjingl Sat 24-Mar-12 11:16:05

Preview and then post? (amend your preview)

Greatnan Sat 24-Mar-12 11:23:49

That would work if I just wanted to check what I had written but I am more bothered by the times when my computer makes a unilateral decision to post before I have finished.

Carol Sat 24-Mar-12 11:55:42

I thought we had a facility to reverse the links so the last one appeared first, but perhaps I imagined it - it certainly isn't there now and it would be very useful.

Annobel Sat 24-Mar-12 12:32:10

Do you mean the 'flip' facility at the top of the thread?

wotsamashedupjingl Sat 24-Mar-12 12:38:41

We have got a 'flip' button. Am I the only one who uses that every time? confused

I wondered why most people refer to a post as being 'further up the thread', whilst for me it's further down! grin

I meant the 'preview message though'. It gives you a chance to correct any mistakes. (blue box in front of 'post message')

Carol Sat 24-Mar-12 12:46:34

So it is Jings I was looking before and couldn't find it. We still have to scroll down to respond, though - must be getting lazy! grin

Anagram Sat 24-Mar-12 12:49:03

I think we're at cross-purposes here! Carol mentioned the order of posts, but before that we were talking about an edit facility.

Surely you don't have to use the 'flip' button every time, Whatsa? You can customise....

Carol Sat 24-Mar-12 13:10:13

Thanks for the reminder Anagram - I had got so used to those buttons being there, I wasn't even seeing them! smile

wotsamashedupjingl Sat 24-Mar-12 13:12:10

Carol If you click on add comment on the pink bit, it goes down for you.

Anagram I will think about yours when my brain has had a rest. confused grin

wotsamashedupjingl Sat 24-Mar-12 13:16:55

Right. I've thought.

When I click on a thread from the Actives menu, it comes up with the original post at the top. And I want to see the latest comment. So I have to flip.

How do you customise?

Anagram Sat 24-Mar-12 13:20:51

Click on the Customise box next to the Flip one, and it'll give you all your options. You can then set your preference so the posts come up like that every time!

Carol Sat 24-Mar-12 13:25:01

Well I never! Thanks! I joined Gransnet and just threw myself into chatting without learning any of the tech stuff! smile

Annobel Sat 24-Mar-12 14:10:23

Me too Carol and I've been here forever! blush

syberia Sat 24-Mar-12 14:17:03

ooh yes, so it does! I hadn't noticed either! grin

wotsamashedupjingl Sat 24-Mar-12 14:25:57

I don't think I had even seen that 'customise' word there! hmm

Is it the same on Mumsnet? I've been on there for years! shock

Thank you Anagram. smile

Annobel Sat 24-Mar-12 14:38:20

I'd noticed it but didn't think I needed to explore it.

Anagram Sat 24-Mar-12 14:59:56

I only discovered its function myself by accident...blush

Glad to have been of help! smile

wotsamashedupjingl Sat 24-Mar-12 18:47:39

I am having to change it back.

I can't stop flipping! The habit is too ingrained. hmm

glassortwo Sat 24-Mar-12 19:17:09

Where have you all been I always run my threads so the latest is first and I also have 100 posts per page so I dont have to mess changing pages when reading the posts, I always use the bookmarks too grin catch up you lot grin grin