Gransnet forums

Site stuff

GERALDINE they're moaning again.

(71 Posts)
j08 Sun 07-Apr-13 18:13:31

About the old lady peering at her laptop in your Telegraph article.

Is it your mum?

Bags Tue 09-Apr-13 10:15:20

I like your 'essay' too, geraldine. Don't swat me too hard for saying that it's nice to discover that you're only a little bit awesome and not perfect after all wink

I think a collection of photographs – of Real Grans from us – for use on gransnet or articles you HQers write for the press, is a good idea. How about a special depository?

absent Tue 09-Apr-13 09:35:27

j08 The article was about gransnet not google maps. confused

j08 Tue 09-Apr-13 09:26:51

try here

absent Tue 09-Apr-13 09:21:58

Butty That is nothing like the map in the photograph though and maps are not a feature of Gransnet.

Elegran Tue 09-Apr-13 09:19:56

Don't like it much though.

Butty Tue 09-Apr-13 09:14:29

There is a map when searching for Local GN sites.

Butty Tue 09-Apr-13 09:10:58

Geraldine An essay worth writing. Why apologise?

I didn't have a problem with the picture at all - and certainly wouldn't call the woman an ancient crone. We're all different for goodness sake.

j08 Tue 09-Apr-13 09:07:03

We've all got stuff in our heads that comes out when we're off guard, especially when we're busy and probably a bit tired. You're doing a great job Geraldine. We all know that. smile

I think the pic is fine. She looks like one of us. (who we really are) I reckon she's peering at that map cos she's planning her route to take the grandkids out for the day. I like her!

absent Tue 09-Apr-13 09:06:56

With regard to the photograph of the older woman peering at the computer screen, it has only just struck me that we don't have maps on Gransnet.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 09-Apr-13 08:27:57

Apologies for the ancient crone - you're right. Was in between radio interviews about local and not thinking properly. I also hadn't (haven't) looked at the piece and was really responding to the comments. (Quite a few journalists find it difficult to read their stuff for a week or two after it's been published and I'm one of them. Sounds precious, I know, but there you go).

When we first started Gransnet one of the strongest messages we got was "don't put pictures of old people/women all over the site." This seemed a shame to me and still does - although I know exactly where it's coming from and also agree with it in many ways - we want to be seen as dynamic and interesting and attractive (though ideally in a broad sense, rather than for looking 20 years younger).

The problem, I suspect, is that older women are usually photographed to make a point about vulnerability and pathos. There are a few exceptions - the work of Ari Seth Cohen photographing dramatically-dressed old women in New York and Karsten Thormaelen's portraits, which make people look fascinating, beautiful and unequivocally old - but you'd be amazed how hard it is to find these positive images.

The most upbeat images of older people are actually of older people passing themselves off as young, which is not the same thing and which as people have pointed out above, only compounds the problem really.

Sorry - know the thread had moved on.

Didn't mean to write an essay...

Maybe you should all send in your pictures to us for use on the site...

Bags Tue 09-Apr-13 08:18:55

grin

Fill in some details, absent wink

absent Tue 09-Apr-13 08:06:22

Bags I can't help seeing Lady Barebow as a character in a Restoration comedy.

Greatnan Tue 09-Apr-13 07:43:45

Merlot - you must know by now that I don't give a hoot about my age. I know I am fitter at 72 than I was at 40. I will take on all you youngsters of 60 and walk you up my moutain paths. grin

Bags Tue 09-Apr-13 07:17:07

The other place in my life where I came across the term is Scottish Dancing where one refers to Men and Ladies. Some people want to change the terms but they are just convenient labels to prevent confusion. So, for instance, I often danced as a 'man' when I was heavily pregnant (because I could) and would be labelled first, second, third or fourth man accodingly. Women often dance as men, and occasionally men dance as ladies.

Bags Tue 09-Apr-13 07:14:36

DD1 objected to my being called Lady Barebow recently until I told her that the terms Gent is used as well. DH and I are members of the Grand National Archery Society wink, otherwise known are Archery GB. DD thinks it is patronising to call a woman a lady. She's probably right, but people have to try harder than that to patronise me. Water. Duck's back.

absent Tue 09-Apr-13 07:09:40

Eloethan Lady always sounds prissy to me and I reserve the term gentleman for the few remaining men who are.

Eloethan Mon 08-Apr-13 16:49:05

absent I'm a bit old-fashioned. I prefer the term "lady" and "gentleman". To me, it sounds more polite. I accept it's a bit illogical.

absent Mon 08-Apr-13 16:22:35

nanaej A montage would have been good and could have included a granddad to demonstrate that Gransnet is not just a load of gossipy old women. smile

nanaej Mon 08-Apr-13 15:41:55

She looks like a woman I saw yesterday out with her grandchildren at the Hollycombe Steam Fair ( http://www.hollycombe.co.uk/ ). I don't look like her but we are both grandmothers. image not a problem for me but I may have chosen a montage of several different grandparents. #hindsightisawonderfulthing

Bags Mon 08-Apr-13 14:56:17

Four kids aged about eight got in our goose house once, with the geese, at goose bedtime. It was quite funny next morning when I opened the door for the geese to come out. They seemed to hesitate as if to say: "Have those awful goslings gone away yet?"

Ella46 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:42:53

Just trying to put them to 'bed'......they wanted to stay up!
Not much room in this coop I can tell you!

Good news though.......I didn't lay an egg! smile

Bags Mon 08-Apr-13 14:21:49

ella! shock grin You HAVE to tell us what happened!

Ella46 Mon 08-Apr-13 14:12:26

Well, after getting my head and shoulders stuck in the chicken coop with four hens........I feel about 90! grin

absent Mon 08-Apr-13 13:55:13

And that's another thing – no photograph of a granddad.

absent Mon 08-Apr-13 13:54:38

Older lady not older woman – have we all turned into Frank?