Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Just a thought about Carol's family

(63 Posts)
baubles Thu 07-Nov-13 09:28:53

During the night I was thinking about Carol's family having to organise her funeral from afar. Of course I have no idea what arrangements will be made but I do know there would be huge expenses involved for all of the family to get together somewhere.

Do you think it would be possible to have some way of us donating towards this?

Tegan Thu 07-Nov-13 14:45:30

Perhaps the exception should be her beautiful poem about Autumn which should stay on here in her memory. I think she'd like that.

Riverwalk Thu 07-Nov-13 14:55:44

I don't agree with deleting all Carol's posts - that would be wiping away all trace of her presence on GN, as though she never existed.

This is a public forum and there isn't any real anonymity particularly if you post pictures of yourself.

Presuming her death was an accident, the press will have no further interest in the story.

MiceElf Thu 07-Nov-13 14:56:06

I can understand that, but - firstly it would make a nonsense of the many discussions on this forum if only one contributer was deleted, and, secondly, what Carol put on here was what she chose to put in the public domain. It would be like censoring any author's work just because they have died. Carol was clear in her views and, although, I might be wrong, I suspect she would prefer to continue to have her views out there making people think.

GadaboutGran Thu 07-Nov-13 15:03:07

Carol's family will have so many things to sort out now, not least the bureaucratic processes like Inquests or whatever the French system demands (anyone know?). They need time for this never mind dealing with the shock of the last 11 days and their deep grief so maybe, whichever of all these lovely ideas & thoughts are pursued, we carry on doing what we can (maybe starting a fund) quietly until they have the energy to think about how they would value using them.

janthea Thu 07-Nov-13 15:03:22

I disagree with deleting her posts. Why is that necessary? She would be horrified.

LizG Thu 07-Nov-13 15:15:55

Please don't delete Carol's posts she had so much to say to us all.

I agree with when we should wait for the family who have much to take on board right now and it is early days x

Elegran Thu 07-Nov-13 15:42:16

Agree that her posts should stay. There has been so much publicity about her identity and disappearance that deleting her posts would be removing only a little of her public persona.

She is beyond the reach of anyone who might, for instance, stalk her (I think she would have made short work of anyone who tried)

Gally Thu 07-Nov-13 15:45:14

I have just donated to the Missing Persons appeal on Radio 4 by Kate McCann. It felt right to do this at this particular point.

Gally Thu 07-Nov-13 15:48:29

Carol's posts should stay, if the family wish it. They are so full of humour and interest and we can look back on all her stories, her advice and her opinions - whether we agreed or not! A lovely legacy left to her pals on GN and for her friends and family.

JessM Thu 07-Nov-13 16:01:05

Yes, Carol chose to reveal more than most (more than anyone?) about her family and her feelings. I think it would be a pity to delete them. Some of her grandchildren might like to read them at some stage for instance.

bikergran Thu 07-Nov-13 16:18:50

if it was me..then I wouldn't want my posts deleted just yet,I would like people to re read them ( especialy the virtual party ones) not that I contribute anything near as much as Carol did.

bookdreamer Thu 07-Nov-13 16:52:19

I don't think her posts should be deleted either. I have been thinking about some of the posts she posted. I would like to read them again. She was so interesting.

bookdreamer Thu 07-Nov-13 16:59:04

and I meant to say I agree with JessM and Gally

janerowena Thu 07-Nov-13 17:07:43

I was quite shocked at the thought of deleting all her posts. It's bad enough knowing that she won't be making any fresh ones. As time passes, threads she posted on will sink backwards in time anyway, naturally. And it's not as if anyone can stalk her now. sad

merlotgran Thu 07-Nov-13 17:25:25

Beautiful poem about Autumn?? Was greatnan also Scarlet21 or have I got the wrong poem? confused

I don't think any of her posts should be deleted (I think she'd be livid!) especially as posts of banned members still exist.

whenim64 Thu 07-Nov-13 17:28:00

No, don't delete all of her posts, but Fiona (daughter) did request that some might be removed now Carol's anonymity has gone. I emailed GNHQ with her message the other day. Hope this helps the discussion.

wannabeagran Thu 07-Nov-13 17:29:13

I knew Carol from other forums & joined up here in case there was any way I could help when she was missing.

She was incredibly open about herself on many forums, on some her chosen name was Sheridan or Carol. I can't believe she would want her posts deleted.

Could some kind person please direct me to her Autumn poem? Many thanks.

Flowerofthewest Thu 07-Nov-13 18:16:23

Happy to contribute if agreed. Lovely idea. Grannyknot, I think you are right. She was very private person and like you say her identity is known now. A good idea to delete her posts, with love of course.

Flowerofthewest Thu 07-Nov-13 18:17:43

Hmmm, reading other's views, maybe certain posts which were very personal to her. Leaving others, her wisdom will live on then.

Grannyknot Thu 07-Nov-13 18:26:50

Thanks for that info, when. I understand the request by Carol's daughter. These are indeed extraordinary circumstances. Sorry for taking the thread off on a tangent, that was not my intention.

MargaretX Thu 07-Nov-13 18:47:27

I think that her posts will be deleted. I have heard that in future that will be normal for Facebook as well. Some one said in 20 years there will be more dead people on Facebook than live ones.( the younger ones preferring another forum) This was such a shocking thought that they may make that Internet Forum policy.
So Fiona is right - and that other daugher. I would not like the views of my mother concerning me or my children to be left unedited for ever on a public Forum.

Aka Thu 07-Nov-13 19:12:15

What we think doesn't matter - it's not our decision to make. Never-the-less I'm sure Carol would have been happy to think people would like to copy and keep her poem. After all she did choose to share it with us.

bluebell Thu 07-Nov-13 19:14:21

Deleting isn't about Carol - it's about those left behind - she said very private things about her family not using her own name. It's all changed now - cant HQ put the posts in a sort of 'safe box' until things are clearer about what the various family members want?

JessM Thu 07-Nov-13 19:21:43

I did find it strange to get repeated "friend suggestions" on FB re a friend of my DS who died about 5 years ago. He is still on FB. Not sure what the process would be for getting someone deleted from there.

ffinnochio Thu 07-Nov-13 19:24:07

I feel that what happens to Carol's posts is entirely the decision of her family.