Gransnet forums

Site stuff

I was just browsing through some of the stuff you get when you click on "My Gransnet" up the top there

(37 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Jul-14 21:58:54

And I came across this. Under "Information Gathering" (!)

"Your internet browser automatically transmits to this site some of this anonymous information, such as the url of the website you just came from"

So. If you come on here directly from somewhere a bit shameful, like Duran Duran Fan Club, or even, Grannynet (!) they will know about it!

shock

Galen Sat 26-Jul-14 10:25:42

Julie skeleton staff?
Too much dieting and not enough cake?

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 26-Jul-14 10:46:01

Galen

Julie skeleton staff?
Too much dieting and not enough cake?

Yup, that's the one grin

Anne58 Sat 26-Jul-14 11:00:06

Not sure Tegan but I had a good day on Thursday, a winner at 25/1 and one at 20/1 grin

Nonu Sat 26-Jul-14 11:02:45

I fancy Telescope with dynamic duo.

Stoute & Moore !!

tbgrin

Tegan Sat 26-Jul-14 11:03:04

Wow! Could this be a new career move? I've not been looking much at races lately but with my beloved Ebor coming up soon I must do a bit of form studying wink.

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 26-Jul-14 11:08:27

"Passive Information Collection

As you navigate through this site, certain anonymous information can be passively collected (that is, gathered without your actively providing the information) using various technologies, such as cookies*, clicktags, beacons and other navigational data collection (such as server logs). Your internet browser automatically transmits to this site some of this anonymous information, such as the url of the website you just came from and the IP address and the browser version your computer is currently using.
This helps us analyse data about our site traffic, so we can improve Gransnet and tailor it more to our members' needs. All information is anonymous and only used for operational purposes.

*A cookie is a small file which "asks permission" to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may, however, prevent you from taking full advantage of our website. Read more about our Cookie Policy."

Hokydoky.

What this means, is that, like all other sites, information is sent when you click on pages. It's usually only that someone's clicked on that page, known as a 'page hit', and it's used to see how many people have seen that page. All of the information is anonymous and this happens on every site you go onto, not just Gransnet. It works the same way with adverts etc.

Anne58 Sat 26-Jul-14 11:11:31

I think most tipsters are saying the same re Telescope.

I was pretty chuffed with my wins, Somedaysrdiamonds came first not long ago, so I was surprised to get 25/1. The other horse was Decent Fella.

I don't think my winnings will change my life though, as I only had 10p each way on them! grin

janerowena Sat 26-Jul-14 11:38:37

Thank goodness for that, I was about to start posting Gamblers Anonymous links! grin

Nonu Sat 26-Jul-14 11:59:22

Its the winning that COUNTS , you did well PHO.

I am a bit of a scardy cat, I nearly always go for favourites and 2nd favourites.

Usually end up with a nice little pay out , BUT NOT life changing !!,

Anyway come 2.05, I will be in front of box, see you there and Bon Chance !!

JANER Laugh!!

tbgrin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 26-Jul-14 12:18:01

Oh that's good. So I can continue going on here and no one will ever know. smile

Thank you!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 26-Jul-14 12:20:18

#nevertoooldtofancyayounggoodlookingfeller