Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Reporting posts

(152 Posts)
kittylester Sun 17-May-15 09:19:28

Apart from spam, I don't remember reporting any posts.

Am I odd? How many/ often do you report and why? confused

Greenfinch Sun 17-May-15 20:51:50

I have only ever reported spam. I don't feel the need to report others : just ignore them if I don't like them.

soontobe Sun 17-May-15 21:12:21

Some posters get upset though Greenfinch [I am not counting myself, practically everything rolls off me, doesnt even touch the sides]. But most are not me. They seem to hurt practically everyone.

But having digested what is and isnt a personal attack, I suspect that there are far fewer than I realised or imagined.

Ana Sun 17-May-15 21:15:28

What a relief - I think...confused

Judthepud2 Sun 17-May-15 21:45:20

I have never had to report a post. I've found GN one of the more friendly social networks. Twitter is a very different environment!!! Need to be a bit thick skinned for that one.

Grannyknot Sun 17-May-15 22:29:02

greenfinch me too.

kittylester Mon 18-May-15 06:57:48

Surely, soon, if anyone is sufficiently personally upset by a post or thread then, generally, it is up to that person to report and not for you to decide for them? And, I hopeGNHQ would be keeping a weather eye on goings on.

Greenfinch Mon 18-May-15 07:09:49

And it must have been difficult soon "so soon" after joining GN to appreciate who would be upset by what though I do appreciate you were probably doing it from the best of motives.

thatbags Mon 18-May-15 07:40:17

In defence of Twitter: no, you don't need to be thick-skinned to use Twitter, you need to be choosy about what accounts you follow.

Iam64 Mon 18-May-15 20:10:09

I can't be exact but i think about 3 in as many years. If i have reported something, I'd usually say so on the thread. I say usually because I can't remember but hope I'd be up front about it.
I'm stunned that soontobe set about reporting so many posts in such a short period of time and never said a word about it. Curiouser and curiouser smile

Ana Mon 18-May-15 20:31:02

It does seem that soontobe feels or felt it her duty to take on the role of GN's moral arbiter, apparently without having had any previous experience of social internet sites.

Still, none of us is perfect! grin

rosesarered Mon 18-May-15 20:33:17

I am!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 18-May-15 20:50:36

You put the cat in the washing machine.

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-May-15 22:01:59

10 posts reported in 2 months! We'd have nothing left to read, let alone discuss, if we all carried on like that. I have rarely seen anything reportable on Gransnet, apart from spam, and I have never felt the need to report anything.

GillT57 Mon 18-May-15 22:23:10

I have never reported anything. Got angry a few times, but just express it and then if I still dont like how something is going I stop contributing to the thread. Bit concerned that you have set yourself up as guardian of my reading soon, many thanks, but would prefer to do that myself. what on earth did you find offensive in 10 threads?......dont answer that.

soontobe Mon 18-May-15 22:26:57

I considered it my duty. I assumed everyone else was doing the same.

But having seen the gransnet HQ post on the other thread, seems like I was correct and we are all supposed to be doing it.

Iam64. I didnt know that I was supposed to mention it on a thread. And again, sounds like I shouldnt have anyway.

So, fortunately, I seem to have been behaving as I should. Except I must have overreported!

Anya Mon 18-May-15 22:48:13

Kitty not necessarily the case. I was being verbally attacked in a thread once, and not having logged in that day, knew nothing about it until PM'd by several people.

Happily they had also reported the thread, which was soon deleted.

Sometimes we have to watch out for each other and not adopt a 'walk by on the other side' philosophy.

Ana Mon 18-May-15 22:54:08

I would certainly hope we do all look out for each other, but to have a whole thread deleted seems rather extreme!

You don't have to mention that you've reported a post, soontobe. That's optional, and I'm sure a lot of members don't.

Anya Mon 18-May-15 22:56:42

Ana yes, GNHQ only deletes extreme threads.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 18-May-15 23:01:34

Sometimes soontobe you come across as a "mother hen". A bit holier than the rest of us.

Ana Mon 18-May-15 23:01:48

I must have missed that one then, Anya, but I accept what you say.

Judthepud2 Tue 19-May-15 00:19:23

Thatbags following accounts on Twitter is not the only way to attract responses to tweets, though. Using hashtags can generate responses from anyone. Unfortunately sometimes these can bring in trolls whose only joy in life seems to be to jump in randomly and start an argument, usually in a very unpleasant manner. Yes you can block, but sometimes nastiness comes in from unexpected sources too.

My perception of the fracas on GN seems to be misunderstandings, sometimes caused by not being able to see people's facial expressions. I use emojis a lot in online communications which is my attempt to help with this. The ones on the GN platform are a bit limited though.

It is a pity that occasionally posters can be a wee bit quick to jump on people's responses. Before criticising, it might be better to ask for clarification.

And, by the way, I like mother hens , Soon , they can be comforting at times. smile

Anya Tue 19-May-15 05:42:29

Thanks Ana I just have to add before I leave this thread that it gave me such an absolute disgust of that person and those few who piled in with nasty comments that I don't care to post much on GN any more, as you know.

kittylester Tue 19-May-15 06:31:59

I am sorry happened to you Anya and I miss seeing you post! I agree with what you said and in my post I said generally it should be the person being abused who reports imo! I still think that reporting should be kept to a minimum.

pompa Tue 19-May-15 06:52:24

Unless a poster uses "I have reported you" as a threat, I don't see what the worry is. Whatever the reason for report, GN will only take action if the think it is justified. I would be amazed if some of my comments have not been reported, but I have never had any feedback from GNHQ or a post deleted. (I have asked for a couple of my own posts/threads be deleted.) I have been with GN 4 years and deletions are fairly rare.
With such a wide range of members we are bound to get dispute from time to time.
Yes I admit it over 4 years I have reported 2 posts. (other than spam)

Gagagran Tue 19-May-15 07:10:15

Please stay Anya. You are needed. flowers