Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Changing my username

(35 Posts)
Mishap Wed 01-Jul-15 11:58:13

For various reasons I think I am going to have to do this. It says in the FAQs that you go to the registration page to do this, but the line with my username in it is not accessible to alteration. Do I simply deregister and start again?

I know that some people on here have done this several times, so no doubt expert advice will be forthcoming!

Mishap Wed 01-Jul-15 11:59:20

Also - how do I stop receiving emails with links when someone has pm'd me? These links are accessible to others.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Jul-15 11:59:38

Oh Mishap! That would be such a shame! Are you sure you have to do it?

kittylester Wed 01-Jul-15 12:00:23

No idea Mishap but please let us have a clue of some sort, won't you!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Jul-15 12:02:10

I think these days you have to contact HQ. You don't want to de register and then not be able to get back in again. shock

janerowena Wed 01-Jul-15 12:10:06

sad

Please let me know!

Mishap Wed 01-Jul-15 12:13:47

I have tried contacting HQ, but when I click the "Contact us" option, I get a blank blue screen with a picture of an envelope in the middle from which I cannot escape - except by pressing "Escape"!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Jul-15 12:16:53

Use your own email. [email protected]

Mishap Wed 01-Jul-15 12:23:12

Thanks - I'll do that.

granjura Wed 01-Jul-15 12:35:03

This is a bit strange, as I am aware of several people who have changed their user name several times- and yet Forum Netiquette clealy says this is not allowed:

Username-changing

We don’t allow members to change their usernames because we want everyone to be able to trust the relationships they build up with others on Gransnet.

Not sure what the problem is, but I would never change my user name- even though there are some posters who 'jump on my back' on a very regular basis. It wouldn't work anyhow, as style, syntax and personality, etc, would soon be picked up. I've picked this up with posters who have changed their name in the past- it was very soon clear who they were.

Just ask the person who is sending you unwanted messages with links to stop. Much better. Bonne chance.

Mishap Wed 01-Jul-15 12:40:40

My reasons for wishing to change the name are not to do with anyone on the forum but relate to another person who has been getting access to my messages, when I had not expected that to be the case. I need advice from members on a very difficult situation that has arisen and it is important to me that the person who knows my identity should not read this. It will be clear from my new username who I am and I will indicate in my first message under a new name that this is a name change.

janeainsworth Wed 01-Jul-15 12:45:36

I'm sorry you're having to do this Mishap but am a bit confused about receiving emails with links as a result of PMs...... Can't you just block the sender in the same way you would block any unwanted emails?

Soutra Wed 01-Jul-15 12:50:20

Well, sounding like your granny., I seem to remember that when you had that dreadful fall (2? Years ago?) I suggested that a more positive name than Mishap might be a good idea!grin How about Bounced back?

Mishap Wed 01-Jul-15 13:06:57

I will certainly look into a more positive name!

Mishap Wed 01-Jul-15 13:08:44

Jane - every time someone pms me I receive an email that indicates my username and provides a direct link to my inbox on the site. The only way to stop that happening would be to block everyone!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Jul-15 13:12:36

When you read a PM there is a 'button' to click to "block this sender".

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Jul-15 13:13:42

That might not help. Only partially understand the problem. Def get onto HQ.

Anne58 Wed 01-Jul-15 15:40:51

jingl and I once carried out a very scientific piece of research on "blocking" people. Well, we were supposed to be doing it properly so that we could report back as to what happened, but we kept forgetting whose turn it was to be the blocker and whose the blockee confused blush

Ana Wed 01-Jul-15 15:48:13

Mishap I'm sure you can choose not to be notified by email when someone PMs you. Have a look at the options on your GN account.

You'd just have to check your GN inbox more regularly, that's all.

petallus Wed 01-Jul-15 15:48:38

I get those emails as well but no-one else reads my emails.

Don't forget to let us know it's you.

Teetime Wed 01-Jul-15 16:03:27

I changed my name as the one I had chosen made it too easy to identify me although I'm not that difficult to find now really. I e-mailed HQ and they rang me I think to ask what I wanted to change to.

Iam64 Wed 01-Jul-15 18:41:10

Hi Mishap

I used to get an email every time someone sent me a pm, then the emails simply stopped. My technical skills are legendary, so I've no idea why the e mails arrived or why they stopped.

I like your posts and would mess you if you left, good to know you don't intend to

POGS Wed 01-Jul-15 20:14:27

Can I ask a question please as I have hardly any computer skills and I am confused.

If you get a pm does your er.mail address come up or something, how does it work that am e.mail is being sent otherwise. Or am I getting it all wrong and the e.mail is nothing to do with a GNer.

I genuinely am interested to know and I hope my post is not misconstrued as in anyway querying the reason behind the decision to change name.

Ana Wed 01-Jul-15 20:20:46

If someone sends you a PM on Gransnet, if you have opted to have email notification they will automatically send you an email to say you've had a PM. It is electronically generated, not sent by a person.

You can opt out by unticking the box on your GN account details.

POGS Wed 01-Jul-15 21:01:20

Oh, I get a message from GN to say I have received a pm from x/#@%

I thought the OP was recieving unwanted e.mails from an individfual, not GNHQ.
Or am I still going up the wrong alley. confused