Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New members

(95 Posts)
soontobe Sat 04-Jul-15 09:23:30

I realised yesterday, that Gransnet are getting new members, at the very rough figure of 150 per month. Through the Bookclub and Competitions topics.

I presume that once people register, not that many deregister.

Hardly any of those join the talking part of the site, but I guess that that doesnt matter.

Lona Sat 04-Jul-15 09:30:35

soon I am in awe of your vast knowledge about such a range of subjects! grin

soontobe Sat 04-Jul-15 09:35:38

It has taken me 6 months to realise.
I never try a competition, or join in Bookclub, so they have sort of passed me by.

I used to think that the site wasnt growing, but from Gransnet's point of view, it very much is.

absent Sat 04-Jul-15 09:36:47

confused

Anya Sat 04-Jul-15 10:09:12

I'm concerned that several 'old' and valued posters haven't been heard from recently.

AshTree Sat 04-Jul-15 10:42:46

150 new members a month? How on earth does anyone apart from GNHQ get this information? And more to the point, why would anyone apart from GNHQ think of looking for it? confused

kittylester Sat 04-Jul-15 10:50:36

And, what 'use' are they if they are only here for the goodies, apart from swelling numbers for advertising?

I agree with Anya.

Riverwalk Sat 04-Jul-15 10:54:27

kitty I don't think the 'compers' do much to swell advertising - they make one appearance and go (with their prizes underarm).

Advertisers pay for clicks - hence the term 'click bait'.

Anya Sat 04-Jul-15 11:04:36

Thanks kitty

Elegran Sat 04-Jul-15 11:20:49

They are useful inasmuch as can claim that they they have XXXX members.

How did you find that info, STB? Did you count each one individually? and how did you make sure that each one was really new, not someone who had posted on a previous Competition or Book-club page? That would be impressive research!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 04-Jul-15 11:21:04

I think it's numbers that attract advertisers. I think that's what the competitions are all about.

According to this in Wiki 'click-bait is a bit different.

Riverwalk Sat 04-Jul-15 11:23:36

Advertisers pay for activity - they surely wouldn't pay good money for inactive members who rarely visit the site.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 04-Jul-15 11:26:05

Start a thread in Site Stuff and ask GNHQ. Just use the title, 'Dear GNHQ'. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 04-Jul-15 11:27:07

Yes soon. How did you work that info out? [confuded]

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 04-Jul-15 11:27:26

or something like that

soontobe Sat 04-Jul-15 11:30:34

I spent some time looking at the names on the two topics.
There didnt seem to be repeats.
I did a general amount of new names per page and topic, and multiplied according to the amount of pages. Then I cross checked.
I also noticed the frequence of competitions and factored that in.
As I say, it is a very rough figure.

Elegran Sat 04-Jul-15 11:32:30

There are ways and ways of paying for ads. If they take out a straight ad and pay a flat rate, they will judge the site by average numbers shown to visit, which appears in site statistics. If they do it by paying "per click" it is by how many people click the ad to go to their site and visit (and it is only a fraction of a penny per click) It isn't by how many see the ad on here, if they don't click on it.

The competitions will be mentioned on the websites where competition junkies go for their fix, so will attract people to come here and join so as to enter.

Luckygirl Sat 04-Jul-15 11:32:46

Blimey! - what a terrible waste of precious time! Might come in useful in a pub quiz though!

soontobe Sat 04-Jul-15 11:32:52

I used to feel sorry for gransnet.
But they are ok I suspect.

Luckygirl Sat 04-Jul-15 11:33:30

confused

Elegran Sat 04-Jul-15 11:33:35

I assume that you have a lot of spare time, then, STB

soontobe Sat 04-Jul-15 11:35:27

It only took me half an hour.
I get interested in how businesses run. And learn things about businesses along the way.
We are in business, and I suspect that my kids will run a business in the future.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 04-Jul-15 11:43:39

Baking passes the time quite nicely.

soontobe Sat 04-Jul-15 12:16:02

I have had several children. None here permanently now.
Like others, I dont seem to sleep as much as I used to.
Those two things combined have freed up time.
I dont have many hobbies, but do volunteer as I have mentioned.
I used to think that my husband may be a workaholic, but now realise that he just loves his job. He is effectively working for two people. Suits me.
So that leaves more than enough time for me to consider God, gransnet and business!

Anya Sat 04-Jul-15 13:02:41

Thanks for sharing S2B