Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New site design being tested!

(585 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 04-Aug-17 12:19:06

We're VERY excited to announce that we are finally testing out a new site design! We've been working really hard to make sure it's easier to user and looks neater than the current format.

It is a test though and it may take a day or two to get used to. Apologies in advance for any teething problems - hopefully they'll be minimal. If you have any major problems logging in or you can't access certain things please post on this thread or email us at contactus. We'd love to have your thoughts. smile

Lona Mon 16-Oct-17 21:13:02

Yes kitty, when I bookmark it's the same on phone, tablets and pc.

Esspee Mon 16-Oct-17 21:00:18

I find in really confusing that the OPs further contributions are not highlighted.

kittylester Mon 16-Oct-17 09:16:46

I usually look at GN on my phone but I've recently been using the computer more and have found that bookmarking doesn't work there although it does on my phone.

And, (I always want to say 'thank you Ariadne' when I start a sentence with 'and') should something bookmarked on my computer be bookmarked in the same place on my phone and vice versa?

LazyMail Mon 16-Oct-17 07:18:12

On Chrome it displays properly for "I'm On" but not for "Watching" !

LazyMail Mon 16-Oct-17 07:02:16

Ok on Internet Explorer but stil wrong on Chrome

br0adwater Sun 15-Oct-17 22:23:18

Pah, it's back to normal now

br0adwater Sun 15-Oct-17 22:19:29

Now what's happened?! My watched threads used to show how many posts had been made since my last post, but now the number refers to those since a few days ago, even when my last post was 5 mins ago. Very odd.

AlieOxon Thu 12-Oct-17 09:33:14

I remember posting and it's not here!
This isn't what I did, but I can't remember....however it must have been a blip, as the ads have gone again.
Huh?

TriciaF Tue 10-Oct-17 11:49:40

AllieOxon I 'm trying to remember how I got rid of the adverts. I think it was the same as I've heard elsewhere:
with left hand press down the control button, and at the same time with right scroll the wheel on your mouse. This changes the size of the font and with any luck squeezes the adverts etc off the page.

Charleygirl Tue 10-Oct-17 11:20:08

I was on Local and tried to PM somebody there to remind her of our next meet up on Thursday but found that I can no longer do that. Is that deliberate?

AlieOxon Tue 10-Oct-17 10:43:34

I'm coping with the design.

What I DON'T like is that the adverts, which I successfully got rid of ages ago, have suddenly reappeared on the right and above. Today.

I don't want them. But especially I have difficulty - and I suspect many older people do - with FLICKERING AND MOVING ads. They distract me to the point of turning off.

How do I get rid of them?

Elegran Thu 21-Sep-17 13:39:21

These pages are about automatic ads on web pages.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdSense#How_it_works How they work.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdChoices How to opt out

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_blocking Blocking ads

Jane10 Thu 21-Sep-17 10:38:30

Previous response was sent from my tablet without me pressing send! All this messing about trying to get rid of adverts has been very annoying. Think I'll just give GN a rest.

MiniMouse Thu 21-Sep-17 10:36:59

Can anybody answer this for me, please? When there's a pm conversation I can't find a way of reading and following the two-way conversation. It means constantly faffing around clicking on Inbox and Sent.

Am I doing something wrong or is it always like this? (I'm currently on desktop, if that makes any difference)

NotTooOld Thu 21-Sep-17 10:28:26

I'm new to this thread so I expect this has been mentioned before but I can't find an answer - please can we have a LIKE button?

Jane10 Thu 21-Sep-17 10:21:47

Using a tablet. N luck

Elegran Thu 21-Sep-17 07:59:31

I don't get any advert before the reply box, nor a banner at the top of the screen. Are you using a PC, a tablet, or a phone? Have you enabled "Turn off tracking" and "Turn off pop-up ads" on your browser?

kittylester Thu 21-Sep-17 07:39:32

That advert is driving me nuts Jane!

Jane10 Thu 21-Sep-17 07:30:35

And now there's an irritating advert box before the reply box. It's actually put me off posting. Wonder if it's deterring others. Oh well money comes first even if our posts are GNs sales product.

TriciaF Tue 19-Sep-17 17:30:11

Very strange - today 'Last Day' brings up over 100 threads, instead of 50 as recently. They're in chronological order, not by alphabetical topic.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 19-Sep-17 17:27:34

Thank you!

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 19-Sep-17 17:22:47

Tech are on the case, GracesGran!

GracesGranMK2 Tue 19-Sep-17 15:26:03

I can't start a new thread. If I click on the appropriate button I just get a long list.

Of course this may be deliberate so I'm prepared to bribe for a change of heartwineflowerscupcake

CardiffJaguar Mon 18-Sep-17 20:31:56

This may have been mentioned but in case not:
Can we have all entries numbered? Some forums have so many entries that finding one you want is very time consuming and easy to miss. That would be more important than the page numbers.

CardiffJaguar Mon 18-Sep-17 12:23:13

This may have been mentioned but in case not:
Can we have all entries numbered? Some forums have so many entries that finding one you want is very time consuming and easy to miss. That would be more important than the page numbers.