Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New site design being tested!

(584 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 04-Aug-17 12:19:06

We're VERY excited to announce that we are finally testing out a new site design! We've been working really hard to make sure it's easier to user and looks neater than the current format.

It is a test though and it may take a day or two to get used to. Apologies in advance for any teething problems - hopefully they'll be minimal. If you have any major problems logging in or you can't access certain things please post on this thread or email us at contactus. We'd love to have your thoughts. smile

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 04-Aug-17 12:39:57

It'll be up in the next hour or so by the way - in case you're thinking it all looks unnervingly The Same. blush

NanKate Fri 04-Aug-17 13:14:13

Can't wait to see it.

HOPE THERE IS AN EDIT BUTTON grin

jollyg Fri 04-Aug-17 13:24:38

Me too EDIT is essential, for those with porky fingers, of those so enthused with their pearls of wisdom, have to post immediately.

Can we go easy on the political threads, seem to be used by the same posters ad nauseam.

Hope it goes well to plan and no glitches

tanith Fri 04-Aug-17 13:51:13

Oooer!! This will take time to get used to. Good luck wink

Ana Fri 04-Aug-17 13:57:09

Don't see how you think GNHQ's goin to change the political thread input, jollyg! grin

Hmm...not sure about this new style, but at least the print's bigger, so easier to read.

Riverwalk Fri 04-Aug-17 13:57:11

Hmm .... the logo is still a bit 'National Dried Milk'

BlueBelle Fri 04-Aug-17 13:57:19

Thought my iPad was playing tricks, oh well time to explore

BBbevan Fri 04-Aug-17 14:01:36

Quite like it. Much clearer but not keen on the font for messages.

CleopatraSoup Fri 04-Aug-17 14:02:22

I really like it. It has a nice clear layout and is less cluttered than before. An edit button would be good. So would a like button.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 04-Aug-17 14:03:38

Oh dear, thanks NanKate. That should be 'easier to use' not 'easier to user' obviously blush.

ninathenana Fri 04-Aug-17 14:07:55

Active page is very grey. Not keen on that.

mcem Fri 04-Aug-17 14:09:56

Very old-fashioned font. Didn't you consider something more modern?

mcem Fri 04-Aug-17 14:12:02

Just the desktop site! Why not the same font as the mobile site?

Greenfinch Fri 04-Aug-17 14:17:13

Local sites seem easier to locate which is a bonus.I am happy with the new style.

mcem Fri 04-Aug-17 14:20:07

Have had to up the brightness in my settings.
Apart from the font and logo I can't see any significant changes. Would you talk us through them please? (And tell us the 'exciting' bit.)

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 04-Aug-17 14:27:18

Thank you - we're taking notes. All very useful.

Greyduster Fri 04-Aug-17 14:29:48

I didn't like the mobile site. Now I don't like the desktop site! Why is it grey? I don't like the logo either. Sorry.

Teetime Fri 04-Aug-17 14:35:03

This looks much lighter and brighter.

mcem Fri 04-Aug-17 14:37:07

I didn't like or use the mobile site either but might be driven to it as I really dislike this font.
And why with the exciting overhaul are the frequent requests for the edit and like buttons still being ignored?

Charleygirl Fri 04-Aug-17 14:38:56

I much prefer the larger font- I have Macular degeneration so it will help me.

I agree, definitely lighter and brighter.

Alima Fri 04-Aug-17 14:48:43

The larger font is an improvement. It looks very grey overall. The only bit of colour that smacks you in the face is when the message is from GNHQ. A bit big brother? Will there be a "like" button and edit option?

durhamjen Fri 04-Aug-17 14:49:30

Thank heavens for that!
I went out to post a letter, and you'd changed when I got back!
I've been trying all sorts to change it back; then I noticed this thread.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 04-Aug-17 14:52:36

Thanks all. mcem, we're sorry there's nothing about the new site that's ticking any boxes for you yet. As we've explained before an edit button would be great in lots of ways (see my own typo above!) but it would be too easy for conversations to be changed and for more miscommunication to happen as a result. We all make typos - especially thanks to the incredibly useful <ahem> predictive text, so a follow-on post just explaining that usually works well enough. Very happy to hear other suggestions on how it might work though. smile

kittylester Fri 04-Aug-17 14:56:37

I quite like it on the laptop but the mobile site is very dreary and I use the mobile site the most. I expect I'll cope but I am getting a bit too old for change! grin